Lake balls V new balls.

G

guest100718

I am slightly confused by the new ball get what you pay for comments. I type this on a second hand laptop which I got for under £200 which was £800 new and has worked brilliantly for 4 years and the best laptop I have ever had. I am sat on a second hand sofa which is just as comfy and I buy preowned xbox games which play just as well.

I understand that the worry is that recycled balls especially lake balls deteriorate but after a (brief) internet search I can't find any stats that back this up. The only stats produced I can see are from the lake ball company saying they don't deteriorate very much if at all. This ties in with my own beliefs about the quality and value for money of lake balls I currently use with the added bonus of being able to use the same ball in practice as I play on the course. This would be far too expensive with boxes of balls whatever the deals and offers can be found and for me is the major reason I use them so readily.

Have there been any comments to that effect? You can certainly get brand new premium balls for 15 to 20 £ a doz if you shop around. Thats similar to Pear lake balls price.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Yeah there were a couple of comments to that effect and several more that don't trust the stats. As Brian points out the manufacturers stats are often what we go on with 'longest ever' irons being a popular one. Yes technology has improved but they have also dropped the lofts so 6 irons is now a 5 iron, 7 is now a 6, and so on.

You can get decent mid range balls for £12-£15 if you shop around, get lucky, or stock up when they are on special offer but that is still twice the price of the lake balls I buy which can be a huge saving considering how many I give to the local farmers :) especially if the drop in quality is as negligible as they say.

Of course it could be that certain balls retain quality better than others (titleist) maybe they lose more accuracy, putting feel, spin around the green, wind performance, compared to simply just distance. They don't show the actual numbers, means, and standard deviation so maybe the distance is much more up and down with some balls producing long flyers that skew the averages.

I am happy with my lake balls but then as I never really play anything else maybe I am missing out but for now can remain blissfully ignorant.

G

guest100718

Yeah there were a couple of comments to that effect and several more that don't trust the stats. As Brian points out the manufacturers stats are often what we go on with 'longest ever' irons being a popular one. Yes technology has improved but they have also dropped the lofts so 6 irons is now a 5 iron, 7 is now a 6, and so on.

You can get decent mid range balls for £12-£15 if you shop around, get lucky, or stock up when they are on special offer but that is still twice the price of the lake balls I buy which can be a huge saving considering how many I give to the local farmers :) especially if the drop in quality is as negligible as they say.

Of course it could be that certain balls retain quality better than others (titleist) maybe they lose more accuracy, putting feel, spin around the green, wind performance, compared to simply just distance. They don't show the actual numbers, means, and standard deviation so maybe the distance is much more up and down with some balls producing long flyers that skew the averages.

I am happy with my lake balls but then as I never really play anything else maybe I am missing out but for now can remain blissfully ignorant.

2 dozen pearl callaway hex chrome will set you back 29.99. call it 15 per doz. If you shop around and are preparred to stock up for the year (6 doz) then you can get them brand new for 16.50 a dozen. When the price is so close I'd rather go brand new.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
2 dozen pearl callaway hex chrome will set you back 29.99. call it 15 per doz. If you shop around and are preparred to stock up for the year (6 doz) then you can get them brand new for 16.50 a dozen. When the price is so close I'd rather go brand new.

Obviously I have not looked at every ball from every manufacturer so some may be better bargains than others. A quick look for Callaway hex chrome and I found pearl/A mix for £10.50 per dozen with free delivery on ebay. If the ball you use is not much different used than new then obviously that is what you go for but for the most part I think they are significantly cheaper.

G

guest100718

Obviously I have not looked at every ball from every manufacturer so some may be better bargains than others. A quick look for Callaway hex chrome and I found pearl/A mix for £10.50 per dozen with free delivery on ebay. If the ball you use is not much different used than new then obviously that is what you go for but for the most part I think they are significantly cheaper.

I have used lake balls and they are fine, but i'd rather tee up a nice new ball than one thats has scuffs and other marks on it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I play with lake balls, I don't seem to concentrate as hard, and lose them quickly.

Nothing focusses the mind like a new prov and a tight drive.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That might be the case for a particular ball (and Chrome Hex Pearls can be had cheaper, even by the dozen) and if you favour that then fine.

But it is certainly not the case for Pro Vs, nor even the top offerings from Srixon, Bridgestone, TM - or even Callaway (Hex Black Tour).

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have used lake balls and they are fine, but i'd rather tee up a nice new ball than one thats has scuffs and other marks on it.

But the vast majority of them are neither scuffed nor marked. I ensure I have a stock of balls in the house at all times, I keep an eye on ebay and when I see balls that are about to go for the minimum bid (or not much more) I grab them to replenish my stock. I've frequently picked up decent AD333 at 99p per batch plus the P & P.

G

guest100718

But the vast majority of them are neither scuffed nor marked. I ensure I have a stock of balls in the house at all times, I keep an eye on ebay and when I see balls that are about to go for the minimum bid (or not much more) I grab them to replenish my stock. I've frequently picked up decent AD333 at 99p per batch plus the P & P.

Im talking urethane covered balls as opposed to hard to scuff surlyn etc.

G

guest100718

That might be the case for a particular ball (and Chrome Hex Pearls can be had cheaper, even by the dozen) and if you favour that then fine.

But it is certainly not the case for Pro Vs, nor even the top offerings from Srixon, Bridgestone, TM - or even Callaway (Hex Black Tour).

The only brand i have never seen at a good price it the ProV. The others have all had sub 20 per doz offerings at one time or another.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Said it before and I'll no doubt say it again but the 'Cosmetic Blemish' Wilson FG Tours are a steal. Just got some more in the post and apart from one microscopic black dot on one ball I'm buggered if I can see where any of them is blemished.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
Said it before and I'll no doubt say it again but the 'Cosmetic Blemish' Wilson FG Tours are a steal. Just got some more in the post and apart from one microscopic black dot on one ball I'm buggered if I can see where any of them is blemished.

yeah my last batch were the same 100 balls and I can't find a single scratch or scuff anywhere. Sure a few have pen marks and a handful of logos but I reckon 85% are pristine without a single mark or blemish. Can't wait for my back to heal and get out there and hit them.