Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ireland

• Other

• Total voters

Hard_Rocca

Visit site
Ashamed as I am to admit it, I have a little sister who out drives me. I consider myself to be a decent striker, regularly up around 250 yards, but she's just a better player. She always plays with us from the yellows and it probably only costs her a coule of shots per round.

My question is, in this enlightened day and age, why shouldn't she be allowed to obtain a handicap from the men's white tees and then play in our competitions? She is not asking for any advantage, just the opportunity to play more competitive golf. At our club the ladies day is a Tuesday, so until she retires, that's not an option.

I know the argument is that if you open to one lady, you must open to all. That's true, but if you put a maximum (mens) handicap of say 20 on a competition, this would exclude all but the best lady players.

What do other forummers think?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm a great advocate of total equality in golf. I think there should only be one set of tees for ladies and gents. The difference in length would be accommodated in the handicap system, and the spin-off would be only having to maintain the one set of teeing areas with consequential savings in greenkeeping expenses.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your lil sis is creaming balls 250+ why is she not on the female tour?

Im all for it if they are good enough and willing to play off the same tees as men.

Hard_Rocca

Visit site
In her teens she was a single figure handicapper who played county golf and did think about trying to play professionally. However, instead she started a job as an accountant and now just plays for 'fun' (she regrets the decision every day of her life).

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We now offer full membership to both men and women only a few ladies have taken up the offer and yes they can play in the full comp's off the white tee's was going to say the mens tee's but that is no longer right.Those who have taken up the offer and have played have rightly found it to be a different course. These are generaly the better lady players most off single figures none have come close to winning yet but time may well tell.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
If she is good enough why not? I should think the only reason why she may not be allowed is that there are too many men scared to be shown up by a ladie.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At the moment, ladies handicaps are normally set from red tees, which may have a diferent standard scratch score to other tees.
I think its great if everyone can conpete together, as long as the maths is right. Probably best to consult your handicap sec (I always do, but then I'm married to him!)

AliB

Hard_Rocca

Visit site
Doh - it's good to know that there are clubs out there who are offering exactly the scenario we are talking about.

It's also good to see so many people showing agreement. It shows that rather than being stuck in the dark ages, most golfers are progressive thinking.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
voted yes
The handicap would have to be reset to accommodate the move from the red but if Michelle Wie can do it anyone can.
As said its the old brigade affraid of being shown up by a little lass hitting 250+ straight down the middle.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think she should be allowed to play in the Men's comps as long as she pays the same Men's subscription. There is no shame in being beaten by a woman, I'm sure Annika or Lorena would win most of our monthly medals. If you're good enough, then you're good enough, end of chat.
As an aside I remember reading a few years ago that Laura Davies used to enter the Men's comps at her club (after she turned pro) playing left handed to a handicap of something like 8 or 10.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In her teens she was a single figure handicapper who played county golf and did think about trying to play professionally. However, instead she started a job as an accountant and now just plays for 'fun' (she regrets the decision every day of her life).

Accountancy's gain is our loss.

Yes, I totally agree that women should be in the 'mens' competitions. We have a game that provides a scoring system that irons out the percieved power differences (in your sisters case - zero).

I think the red tee's still have a place but as a beginners tee rather than a ladies tee. Apart from top flight pro's where power(even between men) seems to be a decisive factor, good course management skills combined with sound fundamentals are the best tools in the bag IMHO.

I would back a clear thinking and planning woman to beat a wreckless power driven bloke (all else being equal) anyday.

Part of the reason my partner and I chose to get involved with golf is that we can have a truly competative game - and she beats me 'net' regularly.

Come on R&A/USPGA sort this one out and lets truly tap into the potential goldmine that is the women's amateur game.

bill

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Lets just leave them playing there on comps, there is plenty mixed doubles for men and woman, god forbid them playing on a sat in the mens comp.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only stumbling block is the current handicap system, which could do with an overhaul; it's not drastically wrong just a bit creaky. It needs a proper rationalisation of the true differences. One suggestion same handicaps different SSI.
AliB, barb - what is the normal difference in gross scores, played off the same tees against the course (ie no handicaps), is it measurable?

Four tee positions is senseless. Why have the blues (seniors) - they don't need it and the medals are played off whites anyway.
Three I can see, a forward tee for juniors (most of whom won't use it) and beginners (pre-handicap); the whites and the yellows, which are retained and moveable solely to protect the teeing area from overuse - and to eliminate 'practising on the match course'.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Lets just leave them playing there on comps, there is plenty mixed doubles for men and woman, god forbid them playing on a sat in the mens comp.

The Saturday morning mens 'carve up/swindle' should be the first format against the wall when the revolution comes and not a moment too soon.

How are you ever going to get more women (or anyone interested for that matter) into the game if you can't offer them equitable and democratic dibs on playing Saturday or sunday mornings?

Complete madness.

Personally I prefer later golf as I can't be bothered with being railroaded by herds of 'tsking' frenetic sprinters, twenty something wannabees and truss wearing flat-cappers on my mornings off. Get enough of that on the daily commute.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Voted yes, Golf, primarily is about one thing. HAVING FUN. So what if a women can out drive a man, Why shouldnt a women be able to play in the same comps. I have said in a previous post there should only be two tee's. Yellow for everyone, white for comps. The handicap sytem would sort out everybody to a level playing field anyway.

If women dont want to play with men, they wont. But atleast give them the option!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree that any member should be allowed to enter a competition. It may be that women would be asked to enter 1 or 2 cards from the yellow tees to have their handicap revised but other than that I can see no problem. The handicap system is there to allow anyone to play a fair game together so why should there be a boundary between men and women that does not exist between men of differing ages etc.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I voted no, My reason being that women play a different course so handicaps adjusted or not, its not the same course.
NOW, saying that, if women were to play of the same tees, I think that 99% of them would not be competitive enough to win due to hitting distances alone.
Let the women have their competition and let the men have theirs.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes they should be allowed provided they would be somewhere around the Male handicap limit playing off the mens tees - why not. Same should apply to Juniors who really get the shitty end of the stick but no-one ever mentions it. The kids get ignored at most clubs, can't do this or that and why? Cos they can putt their bloomin socks off, they don't get nervous over a five footer for par, they havent had their souls blackened by years of toiling in the doledrums and they usually walk off the course come what may with a smile on their face. And god forbid that some of that might rub off! If it was 'No Blacks Allowed to tee off before 9am on Sunday' there'd be hell on. Come one come all says I!