Kingsbarns!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
£288 now for a round!!!!

Really how do they arrive at that figure? Yes I get the whole supply and demand situation, but £288 for that? Royal Dornoch is £180 for a far better test of golf.

British golf has lost the plot.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
£288 now for a round!!!!

Really how do they arrive at that figure? Yes I get the whole supply and demand situation, but £288 for that? Royal Dornoch is £180 for a far better test of golf.

And no Scottish resident rate anymore ,been lucky enough to play it a good few times with caddies but its not that good I'm afraid , its the way golf is going theses days tho 5 years ago we'd go and play Ballyliffen for 50 euro now its 200 euro .

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Supply and demand, like you say.

Plus targeting wealthy American's who would prefer to play somewhere that is 'reassuringly expensive' rather than research a hidden gem for £50 or £60.

It's fairly depressing when so many clubs with very decent golf courses are struggling and don't see much of the tourist millions that flows into the country.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's an odd figure isn't it. I get £280, £290 or £300 but £288? Round the number up or down but the OCD in me is more upset by this than the size of the figure. Lots of other courses to play so this one pricing itself out of my realm is not a problem.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's an odd figure isn't it. I get £280, £290 or £300 but £288? Round the number up or down but the OCD in me is more upset by this than the size of the figure. Lots of other courses to play so this one pricing itself out of my realm is not a problem.

To be honest its not just one. Had a quick look at Murcar and Cruden Bay which (IMO) are easily £70/80 max courses and you would happily play that. They are way north of that figure now.

Brora is £80 a round which is also quite expensive however you can get a day ticket for £99 and you could get round 3 times for that price in the summer which is excellent value or a week ticket of £225 which is even better value.

Fraserburgh is another one which offsets the trend of huge fees, a fantastic value £80 or £99 for a day ticket.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I contacted kingsbarns about residential rate as was gutted when I heard but they said they are still offering it if they have availability within 21 days. Still expensive £120 March and April and £144 1st May onwards.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Most likely a conversion from US $ to arrive at £288.

Wolf

Visit site
Definitely sounds like a rate aimed at US golf tourists to the area.

Price alone puts the course in the Elite bracket which the tourist seem to go on rather than looking for quality before cost. I'd prefer to play a few hidden gems and really enjoy my time than pay so much for a single green fee.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a rate aimed at US golf tourists to the area.

Price aline puts the course in the Elite bracket which the tourist seem to go on rather than looking for quality before cost. I'd prefer to play a few hidden gems and really enjoy my time than pay so much for a single green fee.

Agree - don't think I would ever really enjoy paying so much for a one off round, even if I could easily afford it, or someone gave me it as a gift.

Ultimately supply and demand will be the biggest factor in pricing and if people keep paying these kind of fees, then the cost to play 'top' courses in general will keep going up.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I contacted kingsbarns about residential rate as was gutted when I heard but they said they are still offering it if they have availability within 21 days. Still expensive £120 March and April and £144 1st May onwards.

That's good to hear that it is still possible.

Kingsbarns is a course I would really like to play but the upper rate is too expensive, even half of that is still expensive but I could justify it for the experience of playing the course.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would love to play it but cost is stupid! For that price I could get 3 games at st Andrews including the old course in April ( winter deal) !

If you can afford good on you but alas it is way out of my price range !

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's good to hear that it is still possible.

Kingsbarns is a course I would really like to play but the upper rate is too expensive, even half of that is still expensive but I could justify it for the experience of playing the course.

Last year I paid £111 I think and was worth it for the experience. Fantastic experience and not crazy difficult

D

Deleted Member 1156

The Americans probably think Kingsbarns is cheap as chips. Here are a few examples of some US courses

Pebble Beach $525
TPC Sawgrass $495
Whistling Straits $410 + £65 caddie fee + $50 recommended tip

Wolf

Visit site
The Americans probably think Kingsbarns is cheap as chips. Here are a few examples of some US courses

Pebble Beach $525
TPC Sawgrass $495
Whistling Straits $410 + £65 caddie fee + $50 recommended tip
From What I read when I was looking at these recently Sawgrass was that price plus $80 mandatory caddie fee if you want to walk the course then you have to add on a gratuity of something like $50..

Pebble was similar meaning the green fee came in nearer $650 once you paid everything.

This was based on 2015 figures as was first list that came up, considering Pebble and Sawgrass are my 2 real want to play bucket list courses I think I'll not be playing them unless I get a lotto win..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
£288 now for a round!!!!

to quote a great man (though not about this course)
"over rated" not to mention overpriced.
def not worth over £100 iMO, Played it a couple of times wasn't blown away and one was a freebe.
I get that demand a few years ago when you had something like 60 guys a day missing the ballot for the Old course and din't know where to play, though i'm not sure why you would not play the New and the Jubilee. The links trust must have lowered the number having to go to KB with the Castle Course?

trouble is the cost of top courses in Scotland is only going to increase esp with the exchange rate against the dollar being low

U

User62651

Played Kingsbarns twice, around 2008 and 2010 and both times a very enjoyable experience but being a member of Scottish club at the time made the green fee around £60 back then but as Steve1969 says that's gone now. Expect it's in better condition now having bedded in but real shame for ordinary club golfers here it's so dear.
Like Castle Stuart it's visually very stunning but plays not too hard, very generous off the tees which keeps the speed of play up so more revenue and American/Japanese punters happier.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been saying it for a bit, but pressure should be brought to bear by the English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh? golf associations, if possible.

Due to rich US/Japanese/Chinese and nowadays even an average European, the prices are becoming unaffordable for the very majority of British and Irish golfers, due to international exchange rates.

I think there should be a resident price for citizens of that country, then a slightly higher rate for other British and Irish residents.

EG Kingsbarns - Scottish rate @ £90.00 (or 120.00); British rate @ £120.00 (or 150.00), Intercontinental rate @..........

Ok, you cant expect to get on these courses for a song, and maybe the Scottish and British rate may be early tee times, late tee times or during the week only, but I think the national associations should be looking after our interests. Maybe golf magazines, could also bring pressure to bear? ;)

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
LB, I agree with your post except for the Scottish rate aspect, which I understand already exists in some places. I can't think of any course I have played in England that has an English rate. Surely we should have UK resident rates, not split us all up?

User20204

Visit site
I think you're kidding yourself of you think the national bodies will do anything. Let's not forget it was these bodies that allowed associate golf clubs to spring up put of every social club and pub in the country that put many golf clubs out of members.