Kingsbarns!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The Americans probably think Kingsbarns is cheap as chips. Here are a few examples of some US courses

Pebble Beach $525
TPC Sawgrass $495
Whistling Straits $410 + £65 caddie fee + $50 recommended tip

Sawgrass you can get packages to stay at the Marriott and pay miles less than that rack rate....

I was in Scotland in May 2017 and had a free day, rang Kingsbarns who lots of times available....a £240 pp... I told them to keep it.

Wolf

Visit site
Sawgrass you can get packages to stay at the Marriott and pay miles less than that rack rate....

I was in Scotland in May 2017 and had a free day, rang Kingsbarns who lots of times available....a £240 pp... I told them to keep it.
That would be the route I'd have to go down and I think how a lot of these top courses will become more accessible in future. We're doing something similar in May at Le Golf National, 2 nights and 2 rounds of golf under £300, mind you we booked a while ago.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Given that Kingsbarns are in fact still offering a Scottish residents rate of £144, this is in fact cheaper than all the other Scottish courses in the GM top 20 UK Courses (unless anyone knows of any resident discounts available at these courses which aren't publicly advertised)
- Trump International (£155 Scottish resident rate)
- Dornoch (£180 although £110 twilight rate available)
- Carnoustie (£210)
- Muirfield (£250)
- The Old Course (£190)
- Trump Turnberry (£325 or £250 hotel guest)
- Royal Aberdeen (£190)
- Royal Troon (£250)
- Castle Stuart (£210)

All prices above are 'High Season'. Obviously better deals around in winter, early spring etc. but just goes to show that Kingsbarns is hardly an exception to sky high prices!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Given that Kingsbarns are in fact still offering a Scottish residents rate of £144, this is in fact cheaper than all the other Scottish courses in the GM top 20 UK Courses (unless anyone knows of any resident discounts available at these courses which aren't publicly advertised)
- Carnoustie (£210)
- Muirfield (£250)
- The Old Course (£190)
- Royal Aberdeen (£190)
- Royal Troon (£250)
- Castle Stuart (£210)

All prices above are 'High Season'. Obviously better deals around in winter, early spring etc. but just goes to show that Kingsbarns is hardly an exception to sky high prices!

Castle Stuart is £240 for a 4 ball, thats up £40, as it used to be £50 if you have an IV post code.

The SGU used to have a deal on most of these, but some have now gone, but not sure why

Ive a funny feeling the Dornoch Twilght is only available after a certain date, usually when its not possible to get around with the normal course traffic;)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
- Carnoustie (£210)
- Muirfield (£250)
- The Old Course (£190)
- Royal Aberdeen (£190)
- Royal Troon (£250)
- Castle Stuart (£210)

Members of clubs in Angus can get on Carnoustie Championship for half price

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Castle Stuart is £240 for a 4 ball, thats up £40, as it used to be £50 if you have an IV post code.

The SGU used to have a deal on most of these, but some have now gone, but not sure why

Ive a funny feeling the Dornoch Twilght is only available after a certain date, usually when its not possible to get around with the normal course traffic;)

That's a good deal. I actually missed it, but Castle Stuart do have a £105 Scottish resident rate available.

I used Dornoch twilight rate last year in mid July.....it's only available after 6pm in July (varies by month I think) so you have to get in early to secure the tee time. We had no problem with light but I'd imagine it could be tight for a 4 ball on a dull cloudy evening if the course is busy ahead!

D

Deleted member 15344

£288 now for a round!!!!

Really how do they arrive at that figure? Yes I get the whole supply and demand situation, but £288 for that? Royal Dornoch is £180 for a far better test of golf.

British golf has lost the plot.

Is it not just a Scottish golf issue - there are a lot of courses in areas that charge way over the odds because they know the US visitors will pay those sort of fees - and clubs in little bunch’s will use the better courses to boost their own fees

I don’t think many English courses charge the same sort of level and you also seem to be able to get good deals to play the top courses in England even more so in Wales

Ireland I think have the same issue as Scotland

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From What I read when I was looking at these recently Sawgrass was that price plus $80 mandatory caddie fee if you want to walk the course then you have to add on a gratuity of something like $50..

Pebble was similar meaning the green fee came in nearer $650 once you paid everything.

This was based on 2015 figures as was first list that came up, considering Pebble and Sawgrass are my 2 real want to play bucket list courses I think I'll not be playing them unless I get a lotto win..
I paid $199 to play Sawgrass +$40 tip on golf now hot deal couple of years ago but havnt seen it on since.
There are loads of US courses for $40\50 that are as good some better LPGA Hills course for one.
That’s eye watering for Kingsbarns and I would not pay that.
They are pricing the ordinary working golfer out of playing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's a good deal. I actually missed it, but Castle Stuart do have a £105 Scottish resident rate available.

I used Dornoch twilight rate last year in mid July.....it's only available after 6pm in July (varies by month I think) so you have to get in early to secure the tee time. We had no problem with light but I'd imagine it could be tight for a 4 ball on a dull cloudy evening if the course is busy ahead!

you can get luck as you say, but on the whole Dornoch is rammed with 4 balls with caddies so you fly around the front and then catch the field on the back who tee's off 3 hours before you.

lucky enough to have a couple of mates who are members so play with them in the members times before 9 if possible

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
you can get luck as you say, but on the whole Dornoch is rammed with 4 balls with caddies so you fly around the front and then catch the field on the back who tee's off 3 hours before you.

lucky enough to have a couple of mates who are members so play with them in the members times before 9 if possible

Lucky you! I guess Dornoch is very accessible and good value through their opens every year. Not many opens at the other top 20 courses I listed above!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lucky you! I guess Dornoch is very accessible and good value through their opens every year. Not many opens at the other top 20 courses I listed above!
Royal Aberdeen and Carnoustie do as well of the members clubs, though Muirfiield and Troon are members clubs in name only really , the rest are really just resort courses so you wouldn't expect any comps, But Trump Aberdeen has opens and Castle Stuart does have one in November, though its more like a bandit taxi drivers convention;)

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Royal Aberdeen and Carnoustie do as well of the members clubs, though Muirfiield and Troon are members clubs in name only really , the rest are really just resort courses so you wouldn't expect any comps, But Trump Aberdeen has opens and Castle Stuart does have one in November, though its more like a bandit taxi drivers convention;)

What's the open at Carnoustie...only Craw's Nest Tassie, or do they have any 18 hole opens?

I usually play Royal Aberdeen, and have played Trump International once but I find the £95 fee a bit excessive for an open.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What's the open at Carnoustie...only Craw's Nest Tassie, or do they have any 18 hole opens?

I usually play Royal Aberdeen, and have played Trump International once but I find the £95 fee a bit excessive for an open.

No idea what they are called TBH. never bothered myself, its a long drive for 0.1;)

The Trump one used to have a practice round as well so was well worth it, We are spoilt around here for opens every club has at least one, some have a fair few. I usually play the Fraser Gardiner at Dornoch every year, 2 round affair, thats £40 ish i think

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
LB, I agree with your post except for the Scottish rate aspect, which I understand already exists in some places. I can't think of any course I have played in England that has an English rate. Surely we should have UK resident rates, not split us all up?

Some Scottish courses do/did have scottish rates, then nothing after that, so we were lumped in with Johnny foreigner. I'd take it all at a British/Irish rate,but would take a Scottish then British two tier system over a single Scottish system.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some Scottish courses do/did have scottish rates, then nothing after that, so we were lumped in with Johnny foreigner. I'd take it all at a British/Irish rate,but would take a Scottish then British two tier system over a single Scottish system.

don't the irish do the same as Scotland a local rate then the rest?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you're kidding yourself of you think the national bodies will do anything. Let's not forget it was these bodies that allowed associate golf clubs to spring up put of every social club and pub in the country that put many golf clubs out of members.

Probably am, but what else do you do, just give up?

Women werent allowed to be memebers at Muirfield , once..........(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think they used to, but I think a few of the Irish have recently said that the top 100 west coast ones have stopped doing it in the last 2-3 years.

I see, but then the Irish led the way with the astronomical green fee trend to attract the mighty Dollar. just goes to show really the yanks were only interested once they stuck the prices up:)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see, but then the Irish led the way with the astronomical green fee trend to attract the mighty Dollar. just goes to show really the yanks were only interested once they stuck the prices up:)
Golf in Ireland is getting so expensive even at hidden gems like Dooks but I'm going back over this year playing Waterville ,Dooks, Dingle Links and Killarney GC maybe try and get Portmarnock on the way home