Kenny Perry - unbelievable?

B

birdieman

Watched the conclusion of the Memorial tournament last night and Kenny Perry played really well at 47 years old to hold off Rose, Weir and Goggin for the win.
Anyway in the post round interview he casually announced that he was going to give the US Open a miss because he'd never played well at Torrey Pines! He wants to remain fresh for other tournaments so he can secure a Ryder Cup place!
This is a guy who's just won on a US Open style course and was second to Garcia at the Players recently so clearly has form on difficult tracks.
What the hell is he thinking?
The US Open is the biggest title of all for most Americans.
Seemed a terribly defeatist attitude to me. There must be loads of Ryder Cup points available from a decent Major showing too.
Have I missed something?
By contrast Scott Strange is off to US Open qualifying the day after winning the Wales Open - a much better attitude!

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree, if you get an invite to play in any of the majors then take it, a good showing there would virtually guarentee a Ryder cup place. Unless injuries keep you out then competing in the majors is a must for any tour pro ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hard to call Perry just a journeyman as he has racked up a number of wins on tour but there does seem to be an element of take the money and run in his statement. I'd have thought it would be better to roll up at the US Open, especially when playing well, with an open mindset and just see what happens.

Even if you shoot 85 twice and finish last what have you lost? If you can make the cut then Ryder cup points will start to take care of themselves anyway and a top 20 would do very nicely points wise especially as it is hard to see all Perry's main rivals all having good weeks at Torrey Pines.

Fair play to strange for rolling up for qualifying although I can't help but feel that he will have a job getting up for it today as a win, especially the first on the main tour, will have drained him mentally. I have to say I was hoping he'd fall away yesterday and give Clarke a run but he played well and made it a procession.

Have to be honest and say I almost hope Perry loses out on a Ryder cup spot now but we shall see

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Azinger has said that his players would have to win one to make the team. I think Perry's idea is to protect his win as his sole goal is to make the Ryder Cup. There are very few who manage to put back-to-back games together.

Even Mr Reliable (Cink) was struggling a bit this week.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In his defence , he did say that this has been his plan all season . Even before his recent good form , he said that he'd planned on missing the US open anyway so its not like he's changed his seasons plans .....oh , and i had him in my fantasy team too :)

B

birdieman

This would confirm many peoples suspicions that it's not about winning, just about making money.
For any professional golfer to opt out of playing your own country's open championship, which also happens to be one of the 2 top titles in world golf is not something I can understand.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
This would confirm many peoples suspicions that it's not about winning, just about making money.

Wouldn't he make more money from playing in the US open though? The purse must be considerably larger than the memorial so if those were his sentiments wouldn't he have just turned up to get his appearance money, if not tried really hard to get a decent finish and a substantial cheque.

I definitely think he is a fool for not going though.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Unbelievable! An American professional golfer winning at home in June and then opting out of the US Open, the biggest tournament in the world, two weeks later.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
By contrast Scott Strange is off to US Open qualifying the day after winning the Wales Open - a much better attitude!

quote from European Tour website:

'Strange admitted he still intends to play in this week’s European Tour event in Austria but made the decision to withdraw from Monday’s US Open Qualifying at Walton Heath to allow him to savour his victory for a little longer.'

With the form he showed i think i would have delayed ny celebrations and gone and rolled up? But can understand he must be knackered physically and mentally! :D

B

birdieman

For what it's worth I think Strange is wrong, he may never get the chance to play in the US Open ever again, you grab the chances as they come along. Hope someone does a 'Campbell' - i.e. gets in as a qualifier and goes on to win.
Viscount just to be pedantic Strange is an Ozzie so it's not his country's Open but it's still arguably the biggest title in golf, why would you pass up the chance to play, he won the Wales Open, not The Open....some perspective needed!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As already stated this has been KPs plan the whole season long. Its not like it's his one and only chance to play a US Open.

I hope he makes the US Ryder Cup team - it will be stronger with him in it and should contribute to some interesting games.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a bet on Perry in the US Open a couple of years back and I fully understand why he's not entering this year. He is definitely not a US Open player! Can anyone guess if I won my bet?

My money will be on Karlsson for the 3rd week in a row. He has to win soon with the form he's in, although there's a little concern his driving is a little off, which he won't get away with at Torry Pines!

B

birdieman

What makes a US Open player? I don't think anyone would have called any of the last 3 winners - Campbell, Ogilvy and Cabrera.
If Perry is good enough to win Memorial which is tight and has thick rough, he's good enough for the US Open.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
But he admitted himself that he never plays Torrey Pines well. For most players its a matter of being suited to certain courses. That's probably why Perry has won the Memorial 3 times already and regularly misses the cut at the US Open (when he can be bothered to enter!)

B

birdieman

Oh well fair play to him , he's made up his mind. I cant understand it though. He's in the twilight of his career and is playing well, why not have another crack at it? What's he got to lose? I could understand if he missed our Open because links golf is alien to many 'hit it high' Yanks but his own Open? Something ain't right.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perry is from Kentucky, Valhalla is in Kentuky-as a local he is trying to make the Ryder Cup team in his home state.

If he believes he does not play well at Torrey Pines, he might as well forget it and concentrate on making the tam through the normal events.
I agree to pass up the chance of playing in a major is not what i would expect from a pro.