Joining fees

G

guest100718

Joining fees promote a sense of loyalty to a club. More clubs will go to the wall if they are done away with as it's only a short term fix to get members in the door initially. If the condition of the course drops, people will walk and simply go to another local club that is in better condition. All the 'big 3' clubs in my area have joining fees.

They put people of joining, that's why so many clubs round here have dropped them.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's changed to stop joining fees being relevant today?

I would assume supply and demand.

It's a tricky issue. If there is a club with a waiting list (do they exist these days?) or close to full then damn right- whack a joining fee on. If there is a dwindling number of members then I can see these fees putting people off.

In the latter case, it's clearly in place to ensure repeat membership fees for the next 3 years and beyond. From a business perspective, it makes sense. However, if the course, club and facilities are enticing and improved upon then there should be no issue with dropping the fees and relying on a good 'customer experience' to generate repeat business.

One might argue that joining fees fund the ability to offer a good experience and therefore this becomes a very circular debate.

As for me- when looking for a new club I automatically discounted all of those with joining fees. I would only pay them for a top-notch links club, not a parkland course which shuts in October. For that, I'd expect a hell of a lot of amenities.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
They put people of joining, that's why so many clubs round here have dropped them.

Not round here. One club has dropped it but the other 2 clubs still have it, our membership is full. The one that has dropped it is actively looking to increase membership and has been for some time.

Paying it doesn't bother me, I wanted to join and that's the deal. If they dropped it I would feel the same but can't see that in the short term with a waiting list in place.

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't of become a member of our golf club if I had to pay a joining fee. Not many people have ££££ sat in there account to join a club. It's a big selling point I think of clubs with no joining fees.

D

Deleted member 15344

Most joining fees can now be paid over a certain period so don't need to have the money sat in a bank etc

D

Deleted Member 1156

In my area, there are Broadstone, Parkstone and Ferndown, all top quality clubs and all have a joining fee. All 3 of them are spending heavily to improve their courses and facilities. 2 of them have waiting lists. They all provide much better VFM than any of the other courses which are not in as good condition or have as good facilities.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most joining fees can now be paid over a certain period so don't need to have the money sat in a bank etc

But why have them at all? For the large majority of clubs in these austere times, it's about enticing people in. Golf also needs to be accessible to as many as possible or memberships will continue to decline, clubs will continue to close

D

Deleted member 15344

Why have them ? Because some clubs still feel there is a need for a joining fee - if people still pay it then they are justified in that belief

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in favour of a joining fee that can be paid over time, if one is necessary at all. I would prefer them not to be of course.

If possible it would be great to not have them, if I really wanted to join a club it would not stop me.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
£1630 entrance fee here for 7 day membership, with £1045 annual subs. Drops to £1280 and £855 for 5 day members. At least, that's what they advertise. No idea if they are open to negotiation.

Beyond my reach, even with a decent discount, but it is a club with 2 courses and a good reputation and so I think you are getting what you pay for. Beyond my reach, and that of many I suspect, where for occasional players, there are plenty of reasonable places to play and ok green fees.

It is of note that the last few years they are touting round for members - whereas in the past, there was always a waiting list.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand some clubs like Ferndown etc mentioned in a previous post using joining fees as a source of increased revenue to fund improvements, but too many have just tagged it on and seen new membership dry up. I know several club including my own that had these for a while and it was very much a double edged sword even with the offer to defer for six months or spread over two years. I've known members join places and then jump ship when the deferred payment was due, and the club having a tough time trying to chase it

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
£1630 entrance fee here for 7 day membership, with £1045 annual subs. Drops to £1280 and £855 for 5 day members. At least, that's what they advertise. No idea if they are open to negotiation.

Worth it by a mile for that place, I was lucky enough to play a round there and I wouldnt hesitate to join if I could find the money.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
yeah it was an Open Qualifier when the Open was at St Andrews, now they only have one qualifier somewhere on the West Coast, its a shame as it takes away a valuable bit of income for the clubs in the area where the qualifying was. Course is a good test test in the winter as well

What have they done to turn the course around. I remember a few years ago you were saying it was in poor condition.

D

Deleted member 15344

Beyond my reach, even with a decent discount, but it is a club with 2 courses and a good reputation and so I think you are getting what you pay for. Beyond my reach, and that of many I suspect, where for occasional players, there are plenty of reasonable places to play and ok green fees.

It is of note that the last few years they are touting round for members - whereas in the past, there was always a waiting list.

Is that JOG ?

Worth every penny imo

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is that JOG ?

Worth every penny imo

If you've got it....
As a 5 dayer I could possibly push the boat out to £855 - but to have to find another £1280, even spread over 4 years, takes it into another level.
Without the joining fee I could, maybe, be a member
With it - it may as well be Augusta.

G

guest100718

That's what I think, but my point is you have to play an awful lot to get value for that. If I was able to play three times a week, and if I had the money (both big Ifs) would I? Yes. Otherwise, no.

JOG, a lovely course but a ridiculous joining fee. Letchworth GC is a few mins from my house, again a great course always in top condition i'd happily join but even though the joining fee has dropped by from 1500 to 500, I am still not interested.

If your club can still get away with charging one, then then great for them, but it is the single biggest of putting factor when looking for a new club.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

JOG, a lovely course but a ridiculous joining fee. Letchworth GC is a few mins from my house, again a great course always in top condition i'd happily join but even though the joining fee has dropped by from 1500 to 500, I am still not interested.

If your club can still get away with charging one, then then great for them, but it is the single biggest of putting factor when looking for a new club.

If you are looking to join a club as a long term investment then a £500 joining fee shouldn't be too much of an issue. Different if people are looking to change clubs every couple of years though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are looking to join a club as a long term investment then a £500 joining fee shouldn't be too much of an issue. Different if people are looking to change clubs every couple of years though.

That's a valid point but sadly a lot of people seem far more transient these days for a number of reasons and so I can see how these fees would be off putting