Joining fees

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are joining fees still relevant in todays climate, i saw my club has stopped it for a period to get people in and another local club whose joining fee was £1200 has scrapped theres as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Are joining fees still relevant in todays climate, i saw my club has stopped it for a period to get people in and another local club whose joining fee was £1200 has scrapped theres as well.

we still have ours and Inverness and Royal Dornoch do up here, i suppose it comes down to demand

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One club near me has scrapped the joining fee but make all new members pay a higher subscription (£100 more) for 3 or 4 years when the "Loyalty" rate kicks in - funnily enough £100 less........
But they've scrapped the joining fee.........

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours was £500 which originally was paid in 2 instalments when i joined in 2000, then it was payable over 5 years, they suspended last year for 3 months and got a few members in same again this year with an offer of 16 months golf for the price of 12 if you join now. Its a good deal as the course is always good in the winter with no mats etc

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
We had a great deal to join last year - near enough half price for the year and joining fee suspended for 12 months. We could walk away in March after having a cheap year of golf on a great course but they back the course to make people carry on. I certainly will and the 300 quid joining fee will now be spread over 3 years so I'm happy with my lot.

D

Deleted member 15344

We still have a joining fee - Woburn still has one and people still pay it

You can join without paying one but subs is increased

G

guest100718

They are a throwback to a different time. No place for them these days.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
They are a throwback to a different time. No place for them these days.

but they exist with Gyms as well- never understood the concept of paying extra for honourable permission to join and pay a high fee anyway.

However the good clubs still have them round my way, some suspend it for a year but its still there, some reduce it but the balance comes back yr 2 and 3 otherwise current members (quite rightly) will get the hump if you joined the year before and forked out a JF and now it's waived

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ours was £500 which originally was paid in 2 instalments when i joined in 2000, then it was payable over 5 years, they suspended last year for 3 months and got a few members in same again this year with an offer of 16 months golf for the price of 12 if you join now. Its a good deal as the course is always good in the winter with no mats etc

sounds a great deal for a course playable all year- Open regional qualifier isnt it? (or was it at some point?)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds a great deal for a course playable all year- Open regional qualifier isnt it? (or was it at some point?)

yeah it was an Open Qualifier when the Open was at St Andrews, now they only have one qualifier somewhere on the West Coast, its a shame as it takes away a valuable bit of income for the clubs in the area where the qualifying was. Course is a good test test in the winter as well

D

Deleted Member 1156

Joining fees promote a sense of loyalty to a club. More clubs will go to the wall if they are done away with as it's only a short term fix to get members in the door initially. If the condition of the course drops, people will walk and simply go to another local club that is in better condition. All the 'big 3' clubs in my area have joining fees.