Joining a club for the first time - why am I scared ****less?

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
So having had no replies from three of the five clubs I contacted I drove round to them and picked some info up

Also interesting that none of these three clubs would let me have a trial round - 'pay and get it back if you join' .... nice

Anyway, I am going to join one next week but am really scared - am 46 years old and this is so stupid ....

a) am I best joining or would pay and play work out cheaper in the long run - am worried about wasting money

more importantly ....

b) am really worried about rocking up for the roll ups and competitions if I join .... is that normal for a first time member? Worried about making a complete fool of myself rather than enjoying a round of golf (which I often do on my own .. Billy No Mates)

Am I being a stupid ass?

I know what I would tell my kids!!!!

D

Deleted member 15344

Any decent club you join should have a new member process

Within that process you should first have a welcome meeting with the main people in the club who will look to answer any question you have whilst also telling you how things work - tee booking , comps etc

Next they should find out from you when you like to play and then introduce you to one of the Swindle leaders from that time which should help you initially integrate within the club

Then they should check in with your once a month for 6 months to make sure everything is ok

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club has stopped the "free trial round" after eventually clocking on that many people say the right things just to get the free round with no intention of joining but just want the free game.
When you went there in person, how did they feel? What was the pro like?
Ours would try and help the new solo member to make friends and join in. Having said that, in general my club is quite good like that in that if someone is seen mooching on their jack they would be invitied in to play.
We also have a new members event, which also helps those very new to get the most out of it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any decent club you join should have a new member process

Within that process you should first have a welcome meeting with the main people in the club who will look to answer any question you have whilst also telling you how things work - tee booking , comps etc

Next they should find out from you when you like to play and then introduce you to one of the Swindle leaders from that time which should help you initially integrate within the club

Then they should check in with your once a month for 6 months to make sure everything is ok

nice process youve introduced phil but pretty big assumption all courses are like this, these are the sort of questions i would be asking before joining.

what processes do they have for new members? how easy is it to integrate? what roll ups are there and when? Are the competitions drawn or do people play in their own little groups

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
A) it might be cheaper, pounds per round, if you don't play much. However there can be quite a lot more to being a member if you are open to it.

B) totally natural but yes you are being silly. Everyone makes a complete fool of them no matter how long they have been a member. Just don't make a fool of yourself by being over agro, selfish or cheating. It's just a bunch of people who share your passion.

Enjoy

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
A) it might be cheaper, pounds per round, if you don't play much. However there can be quite a lot more to being a member if you are open to it.

B) totally natural but yes you are being silly. Everyone makes a complete fool of them no matter how long they have been a member. Just don't make a fool of yourself by being over agro, selfish or cheating. It's just a bunch of people who share your passion.

Enjoy

^^^^ :thup:

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You'll be fine when you settle into it I was the same I didn't know anyone at my club but soon got involved with roll ups and comps. Hopefully they will all welcome you which I'm sure they will

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You'll be fine. We have introduced a buddy system where members will introduce newbies to the weekend/weekday roll ups, ensure they know how to enter comps (and sign into PSI) and are generally made to feel welcome and integrated. I'd just get stuck in and once you join a roll up you'll have regular games. Get into the comps and get the handicap down

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You'd be a bit of an odd ball if your were not a bit nervous at first.
Find out when the roll ups and competitions are on and just join in. Don't be late for tee times, in fact turning up at least 30 mins beforehand is good. Talk to people in the clubhouse, and just enjoy your golf whilst allowing/encouraging others to enjoy theirs.

If its the right club club for you, you'll fit in straight away.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you ask the club they will hopefully put you in touch with someone who organises a roll-up. Failing that, just rock up and ask to join someone who is there, that's what I do.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in a very similar situation myself last year. Yes, playing in the first competition or roll up is a bit nerve racking, especially if playing for a handicap, but can't recommend it highly enough.

I was made so welcome - the captain made a point of coming and introducing himself and having a chat.

After a few weeks I feel at ease and relaxed, enjoying the golf and looking forward to making new friends over the coming months.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You just have to get stuck in, like first day of school. No way round it. Ask your pro who the decent people are to play with in your first few comps, until you know some people. I asked that at my last place and he guided me away from some and towards others. A friendly pro can be a big help so smile nicely at him.

Fascinated by this talk of introduction packs and meetings etc. Never heard of that before. Good idea though. Past clubs of mine have just handed a bag tag, sticker and fixture card and said off you go.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Do you know which club you are joining, If you have narrowed it down to three hav you plays the three courses. When does the next full year start. Ours is in April. If you have not play the three, play them to make sure.. If you are sure ask how much it is for the remainder of the next two months if new year starts April, or next two months including next year.
hope it goes well me man.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you know which club you are joining, If you have narrowed it down to three hav you plays the three courses. When does the next full year start. Ours is in April. If you have not play the three, play them to make sure.. If you are sure ask how much it is for the remainder of the next two months if new year starts April, or next two months including next year.
hope it goes well me man.

Valid point. No point joining a course you'll get bored off in a few months or that doesn't have the facilities you require

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was in a very similar situation myself last year. Yes, playing in the first competition or roll up is a bit nerve racking, especially if playing for a handicap, but can't recommend it highly enough.

I was made so welcome - the captain made a point of coming and introducing himself and having a chat.

After a few weeks I feel at ease and relaxed, enjoying the golf and looking forward to making new friends over the coming months.

very similar to my situation. I had a meeting with the captain and club sec on an open night and got to meet other potential members wanting to sign up. They introduced me to a few people there as it was a Thursday night when some of the members rock up for a pint and put there names down for the following Sat/Sun comp. Plyed a couple of weeks later in a 3ball who I now play regulary with. Rang during the week plenty of times and joined various 3balls and all have been brilliant. All have said they've been in the same situation so kind of show the ropes and then it becomes so natural. Like someone else said get there 20/30 minutes before your tee time, have a putt, grab a coffee and you'll gradually getting chatting to members and members you've played with befre.

Jump in, get involved, join the rabbits/8-15 team, go to the open days etc all this will get you talking to members - if the club is full of people like mine that welcome everyone.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s just like dentists/interviews/blind dates etc. It’s rarely as bad as your imagination makes you think it’ll be

If you can, just imagine everything going great rather than all the things you think are going to go wrong at the moment

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was the same, bit nervous etc. I actually turned up at a roll up before I joined and spoke with a few of the people playing just to get an insight into (1) them and what they were like but also (2) the club itself. I do though find that you have to work hard at the beginning and make the effort - get to know your playing partners, be a good playing partner, interact with them before tee times etc. Also, get onto any member mailing lists. You've just got to go for it and hey if it is not for you then you can always leave after year 1.