It was brutal

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had our pit golf day today organised by yours truly. Predominantly 48 lads and mostly pit lads. As always it’s a fantastic day but for half an hour it was brutal. A bit of thunder in the distance but for 30 mins it was biblical. The rain and hail was like something I have not played in before. We stood on the par three 7th tee under the brolleys for 15 mins as the lad in front were in and around the green and not moving. I looked back at the green we had come off and it was flooded. We were five mins off calling it a day and lo and behold the back nine was glorious.

What’s the worst you have played in.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something similar at Burnham and Berrow a few years ago in a team open. Sideways rain that felt like we were getting pelted with gravel for 15 minutes.

Albo

Visit site
Played at St Andrews a couple of times in horrific weather, played the Castle course off the tips on my own in lashing rain and 30mph wind. That was bad
Also played a couple of years back was early April, cold, played the Strath, all ok for 17 holes until the hail came down on 18, we couldnt putt on the green as it was just all white covered in hail

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Had our pit golf day today organised by yours truly. Predominantly 48 lads and mostly pit lads. As always it’s a fantastic day but for half an hour it was brutal. A bit of thunder in the distance but for 30 mins it was biblical. The rain and hail was like something I have not played in before. We stood on the par three 7th tee under the brolleys for 15 mins as the lad in front were in and around the green and not moving. I looked back at the green we had come off and it was flooded. We were five mins off calling it a day and lo and behold the back nine was glorious.

What’s the worst you have played in.
2016, doing the longest golf day. 4 holes into round 3 and the sunshine disappeared, fairly rapidly, and things got very, very wet.

The greens flooded, we had a period that if we hit one, it is was an automatic 2 putt and move on.

To make things worse, walking between holes 9 and 10 my trolley wheel hit something that was under water and the whole thing tipped up on it's side, completely submerged in water.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played Gullane No1, started in rain and wind but it soon turned to hail, walked down fairways backwards as the hail was coming in sideways into your face, remember making pars on the last 5 holes and thinking I had a chance in the low 30's.....winner came in with over 40 points.....

Golfnut1957

Visit site
On our way up north on the final day of our golfing trip. We were supposed to play Baildon, but the lad who organised it saw the weather forecast and changed it to Kirkbymoorside. Those who live in the Leeds area will know why.

Of the four of us, one decided to remain in the clubhouse, along with the members of a golf society who to a man all thought it was best to stay indoors. Of the three who ventured out, one gave up halfway down the fifth, I didn't even know he was going, he shouted, but the conditions were too bad to hear him and I just had my head down.

The two of us carried on in 50 mph wind and driving rain, soaked through and golf balls only going where the wind allowed them.

It all cleared by the 15th and a hole later we saw that the society had now deemed it safe to venture out.

We have had other horrendous days, Cawder in Glasgow, Ladhope Hill Galashiels and Dunstanburgh Castle, but these were all heavy rain and a walk in the park compared to that day at Kirkbymoorside.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were walking in from the 10th one day as were the groups in front of us. As I crossed the road a ball came running down the path leading from the 4th green. I picked it up and met the guys playing the 4th halfway down the fairway.

"Whose ball is this?" I asked

"Mine" says Kev - "why did you pick it up from the green he asked?"

Explanation give and voiced the state of the course.

At which point they all turned round and joined us walking in.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
More than I care to remember. Brora in the tail of a hurricane, winds still peaking at 38MPH. Cooden a couple of years back, those that were there will remember, but the one of the most memorable was at Lofoten, the wind and rain were unreal with Mrs Wedge unable to talk and barely walk after 15 holes - video from the 2nd.

2nd at Lofoten in the wind

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Alwoodley on Thursday with the Mizuno Pairs. Last group out and the rain had set in an hour before we teed off. Course looked great, but very tough and the rain didn’t help. Rain had been steady with a couple of heavier spells until we reached the 13th when the wind picked up. I hit a good straight drive on 16, which the wind got hold of and sent sideways, never to be seen again. Hit a good drive down the left on 17 and ended in a fairway bunker on the right edge of the fairway. Our betterball score was 20pts!

The course took the rain really well, with only a couple of puddles in fairways seen. Would love to go back when the weather is kinder.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
On our way up north on the final day of our golfing trip. We were supposed to play Baildon, but the lad who organised it saw the weather forecast and changed it to Kirkbymoorside. Those who live in the Leeds area will know why.

Of the four of us, one decided to remain in the clubhouse, along with the members of a golf society who to a man all thought it was best to stay indoors. Of the three who ventured out, one gave up halfway down the fifth, I didn't even know he was going, he shouted, but the conditions were too bad to hear him and I just had my head down.

The two of us carried on in 50 mph wind and driving rain, soaked through and golf balls only going where the wind allowed them.

It all cleared by the 15th and a hole later we saw that the society had now deemed it safe to venture out.

We have had other horrendous days, Cawder in Glasgow, Ladhope Hill Galashiels and Dunstanburgh Castle, but these were all heavy rain and a walk in the park compared to that day at Kirkbymoorside.
Baildon is a tough little nut at the best of times, in any kind of wind it's just horrendous, never mind 50mph lol

AussieKB

Visit site
Played Alwoodley on Thursday with the Mizuno Pairs. Last group out and the rain had set in an hour before we teed off. Course looked great, but very tough and the rain didn’t help. Rain had been steady with a couple of heavier spells until we reached the 13th when the wind picked up. I hit a good straight drive on 16, which the wind got hold of and sent sideways, never to be seen again. Hit a good drive down the left on 17 and ended in a fairway bunker on the right edge of the fairway. Our betterball score was 20pts!

The course took the rain really well, with only a couple of puddles in fairways seen. Would love to go back when the weather is kinder.
Played in shirt sleeves last month, and as you say the course is great.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We got washed off Holsworthy where we went out in biblical rain as we were down on holiday and booked in so decided to play but by the 9th the greens were all lakes and we were called in by the greens staff. They offered another green fee voucher which we couldn't take up so they gave us burger and chips and a beer. Great touch

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played Muirfield in a Winter Alliance meeting.
Heavy horizontal sleet and rain showers for most of the round.
Only about six cards returned from a field of around 60.
I finished 3rd with an 86.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone else remember the forum meet arranged for the Kent links courses in February 2018?

My memories are a bit vague but we played, I think, Princes or Royal Cinque Ports, and it was truly horrendous with very strong winds and driving snow. The rest of the meet, which included Royal St George's, was abandoned and all the roads leading from the Kent coast were snowbound. I don't remember all the details but there must be someone who does.