Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

• Yes

Votes: 95 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • Not Decided

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Sounds like suicide!

It also sounds like they didn't have a decent business plan in the first place, and don't have any reserves (cash in bank), and as such, they, like possibly many clubs that operate hand to mouth, without an injection of capital, will go to the wall.

I would be very cautious in investing any monies up front to such a scenario (on a promise) as it might not come to fruition.

Nobody wants to see any courses close, but 2 free months for every month it's closed is commercial suicide and not sustainable imo, and comes across as desperation!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had my last email from the zoo last night (membership ended at midnight)
They're crediting any lost time, freezing fees for 2 years and topping up bar cards with £30( full members) or £20(5 day) this year and next.....
Just this year that's going to cost them almost a quarter of the members subs....
Tough times..

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
what makes golf clubs different to any other business at the moment? all have overheads and all need cash flow. some people on here think a golf club is unique. there is no way a golf clubs fees are the same as when they are fully open. I'm no financial expert but the government have introduced a plethora of helpful measures that golf clubs will be utilising to help them through this time. to simply say "we need all your money now" is very reflective on the golf industry and how it holds itself amongst society.
i would love to know how much a golf club actually needs to survive vs how much it wants. I think many clubs round the county have got their heads up their arse.

my fishing lake said they need the money or they can't pay the farmers rent. my lake decided those that could not pay would forfeit their place but would remain at the top of the waiting list to regain the spot at the earliest opportunity.
they allowed one guy to pay his fees with two days labour and parts to complete the otter fencing.
its not ideal but at least they're trying to give you something

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
what makes golf clubs different to any other business at the moment? all have overheads and all need cash flow. some people on here think a golf club is unique. there is no way a golf clubs fees are the same as when they are fully open. I'm no financial expert but the government have introduced a plethora of helpful measures that golf clubs will be utilising to help them through this time. to simply say "we need all your money now" is very reflective on the golf industry and how it holds itself amongst society.
i would love to know how much a golf club actually needs to survive vs how much it wants. I think many clubs round the county have got their heads up their arse.

my fishing lake said they need the money or they can't pay the farmers rent. my lake decided those that could not pay would forfeit their place but would remain at the top of the waiting list to regain the spot at the earliest opportunity.
they allowed one guy to pay his fees with two days labour and parts to complete the otter fencing.
At our club, that's all available in the annual report given to all members.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Only thing I can imagine GC's saving is a bit of electricity and gas.

All other bills will be getting paid.course is sti getting maintained and I guess it's down to the individual club how many staff they're retaining to do this.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only thing I can imagine GC's saving is a bit of electricity and gas.

All other bills will be getting paid.course is sti getting maintained and I guess it's down to the individual club how many staff they're retaining to do this.
I meant things like business rates. surely some staff have been put on the 80% scheme. my gc have laid off almost all staff apart from a few selected green staff

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I meant things like council tax, vat, business rates. surely some staff have been put on the 80% scheme

That's down to individual clubs if they do that. Tax etc will be getting paid. Feeds and fertilizers will be getting used, machinery will be getting used and deprecate, fuel is required just maintain the course.

I'd also imagine a few clubs will be banking on a bit of visitor income and bar takings to top up monthly outgoings/pay bills.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
See Post #31 on the "How much extra subs" thread[/QUOTE]
I understand that bills need to be paid but I wonder how much is reduced. like asking on repayments on a lawn mower to be deferred. routine maintenance to be suspended and so on. just with business rates and greenstaff running at 50% has helped my old club hugely.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
See Post #31 on the "How much extra subs" thread
I understand that bills need to be paid but I wonder how much is reduced. like asking on repayments on a lawn mower to be deferred. routine maintenance to be suspended and so on. just with business rates and greenstaff running at 50% has helped my old club hugely.[/QUOTE]
Some businesses can, literally, turn off the lights, lockup and come back in 3 months time and start up again and all they would have to pay is rent/rates....
Government pays 80% wages, no gas, electric or water used, may get business rates/vat break.....costs would be minimal
Even at half staff a golf club will consume a fair amount of money just to tick over..

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand that bills need to be paid but I wonder how much is reduced. like asking on repayments on a lawn mower to be deferred. routine maintenance to be suspended and so on. just with business rates and greenstaff running at 50% has helped my old club hugely.
Some businesses can, literally, turn off the lights, lockup and come back in 3 months time and start up again and all they would have to pay is rent/rates....
Government pays 80% wages, no gas, electric or water used, may get business rates/vat break.....costs would be minimal
Even at half staff a golf club will consume a fair amount of money just to tick over..[/QUOTE]

yeh, I get that. but many businesses can't just turn the lights off. like a gym for eg. the point I'm trying to make is many golf clubs are saying "pay up in full" when most other companies are at least trying to help a brother out. I can use my gym for eg. we have been "asked" to pay 50% of our fees as the owner still has to pay for the hire of all the quipment. he has agreed that those that do this will not see a price increase on their membership for at least 3 years. people just doing what thay can to help and survive

Robster59

Tour Rookie
See Post #31 on the "How much extra subs" thread
I understand that bills need to be paid but I wonder how much is reduced. like asking on repayments on a lawn mower to be deferred. routine maintenance to be suspended and so on. just with business rates and greenstaff running at 50% has helped my old club hugely.[/QUOTE]

Our club is doing all that already. All unnecessary staff have been furloughed and I know they're looking at other things to keep costs down but there is only so much you can do. Bills still need to be paid, the couse still needs it's treatment, you can only defer the lease payments on the equipment, and income from visits and the bar has disappeared. Our clubs budget is run on a tight ship and we don't spend what we don't have, but they still need some income to keep going.
Of course, the situation is still fluid but if we're honest I can see anyone being on any course till end of the summer.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

Our club is doing all that already. All unnecessary staff have been furloughed and I know they're looking at other things to keep costs down but there is only so much you can do. Bills still need to be paid, the couse still needs it's treatment, you can only defer the lease payments on the equipment, and income from visits and the bar has disappeared. Our clubs budget is run on a tight ship and we don't spend what we don't have, but they still need some income to keep going.
Of course, the situation is still fluid but if we're honest I can see anyone being on any course till end of the summer.[/QUOTE]

i understand the core of what your saying. the point I'm trying to make is many clubs and businesses I'm involved in need my money to keep going but they understand times are tough for many. therefore arw doing what they can to help out and return the favour. for eg, next year in return for me paying my fishing fees the owner has allowed members to bring a friends at no charge and offered to sell us bait a cost upto a max 20kgs. its not much and I won't use the offer but at least the gesture is there. most golf clubs is pay up or else

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Of course, the situation is still fluid but if we're honest I can see anyone being on any course till end of the summer.

i understand the core of what your saying. the point I'm trying to make is many clubs and businesses I'm involved in need my money to keep going but they understand times are tough for many. therefore arw doing what they can to help out and return the favour. for eg, next year in return for me paying my fishing fees the owner has allowed members to bring a friends at no charge and offered to sell us bait a cost upto a max 20kgs. its not much and I won't use the offer but at least the gesture is there. most golf clubs is pay up or else[/QUOTE]
As in my post #99 on this thread, our club is looking at the options they can give to members as a Thank You for their support. However, I think they're doing the right thing to look at the options before advising what that will be. Looking at some of the examples on this thread, there has been a knee-jerk reaction to some of the offers. This may be fine if they're only closed for a short time but will potentially crippple the club in the long-term. It's a fine balance to making an offer that means something to the members versus one that damages the club going into the future.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have paid my fees for the year.
I don’t expect to get any special offers when this is all over.
I will be happy if my club is still there after this.
Some will not survive if the members don’t support them.
Sad but true, actions of members now will decide if you have a club to go back to!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club has not really talked about membership fees, I am sure there are monthly payments being cancelled but that’s speculation.
They have kept 3 staff working although with the capability to furlough they could rotate.
This may seem crazy but the condition of the course could be improved with the lack of use.
There is cherry on the top stuff which could be downsized.
I am of the opinion that letting the grass grow in key areas will only make the course stronger and more resilient.. I will be disappointed on returning to find areas still being mown to mud!
This is a great opportunity to get on with it .. I would happily volunteer to help as it’s just gardening ( weeding and raking seeding etc) and I won’t be inside the contact distance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is one time I'm extremely glad my club plays at a public course and thus green fees are separate. I paid my £90 membership at the turn of the year, and the rest of the time I can't play I'm saving money (although I'd rather be playing obviously). I was going to pick up the £600 season ticket as well, but they are usually released in March so the council have delayed the release of them.

For those with more normal memberships this must be a really tough decision. You want a golf course to come back to, but in such uncertain times how many can afford to pay out £1000 or more for an activity they can't even do for several months, when most have families to think of first? It's a big risk.

I'm sure a few golf courses will close after this, but then, they already were. :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club has just issued another update to the members. It's quite long but well written and also includes an update from the Head Greenkeeper.
To summarise:
  • There has been a very positive reaction to the payment of annual subscriptions (I'm delighted, I know all the lads I play with had continued paying).
  • While there remains some Members who have not paid (yet!) the response has been really good.
  • The Board is currently discussing some form of “thank you” to Members for their support.
  • Two members of the green staff are still working and they are looking to see if they can increase it during the year.
  • An update to the work they've been doing on our 13th (the more I read about it, the more I can't wait to play it).
  • Details on the cutting and maintenance programs.
  • Ongoing work programs when the full team is back.
All-in-all, I'm pleased with the update and how the club is handling the situation.
What you doing to your 13th - an epic little hole from which you get possibly one of the best views you'll get anywhere in the country. Have you taken the trees out (I preferred it 'nude') :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When a business is in difficulty is it not often the case that the shareholders are asked to provide additional funding through some mechanism in order to keep the business afloat, and thereby protecting the shareholding of those shareholders.

As a shareholder in my club if I was asked to put a little more money in then I would. 600 members stick in £50 each (£50 that most would have spent in the club in a few weeks in normal times in any case) then that is £30,000. And that input of funding could make a significant difference.

Hopefully not required at my place.

D

Deleted member 16999

When a business is in difficulty is it not often the case that the shareholders are asked to provide additional funding through some mechanism in order to keep the business afloat, and thereby protecting the shareholding of those shareholders.

As a shareholder in my club if I was asked to put a little more money in then I would. 600 members stick in £50 each (£50 that most would have spent in the club in a few weeks in normal times in any case) then that is £30,000. And that input of funding could make a significant difference.

Hopefully not required at my place.
And if only 500 members agree, do you raise it to £60.00 each for them and the other 100 members pay nothing?

No comeback on any member who doesn’t or can’t pay any extra?