Is this not a form of cheating?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd bet not many women strive to keep their vanity handicap.
Men and our ego's, gets us in all sorts of bother! 🙈

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Every round of golf counts for me whether it's social or competition, so I suppose what i'm getting at is if you played a par 70 in a comp and shot 80 (10 over) and then played 4 more social rounds and shot 100 (30 over) in theory you would have averaged 96 (26 over) but because you discarded your social rounds you would walk around saying i am a +10 golfer when in fact you are a +26 golfer, so are you cheating yourself is my question.

Was it you putting out for a 12 I was stuck behind last week? :D Only kidding, but that's the point again... are you telling me that every time you step on the course you play 18 holes and keep score formally? No practice, no match play, no scrambles etc? If so, you are missing out!

Played a "2 from 4" charity event on Friday... we only recorded the 2 best on each hole. When cant better a score we picked up. Does the OP ever pick up?

I am sure there will be some sensible guidelines for 2020..... and anyway.... if I go and play an informal practice round, who will know or care?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every round of golf counts for me whether it's social or competition, so I suppose what i'm getting at is if you played a par 70 in a comp and shot 80 (10 over) and then played 4 more social rounds and shot 100 (30 over) in theory you would have averaged 96 (26 over) but because you discarded your social rounds you would walk around saying i am a +10 golfer when in fact you are a +26 golfer, so are you cheating yourself is my question.
I think that's nonsense personally. When I play 'social' rounds it's just practise, having a laugh with mates. e.g. you can't find your ball you just drop another one, not walk all the way back to the tee. You give each other putts (perhaps overly generous sometimes). Sometimes we even make little bargains with other, e.g. weekend just gone one mate wanted to try his driver out but not ruin his score, so we made a deal that if he makes a hash of it, we'll give him a mulligan, but if he nailed it he would have to hit it over the ditch on the 18th as well. Silly things like that. Oh and we play off the yellows as well rather than the whites that we would in a comp.

How can you say this type of round should count towards your handicap??? It's a different game when you're not playing competitively.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And another thing actually - why on earth would someone strive to protect a artificially low handicap?? So they can tell all their mates they play off 8 or whatever - but every tournament they ever enter they have absolutely no chance in. What's the point?

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Men and our ego's, gets us in all sorts of bother! 

I had a mate like this he joined a club with another guy I didn't join in the end for the reasons below but played with them a bit. The club allowed them to mark each other cards. One of the guys handed his cards in and got somewhere around 24 or 26 which was probably about right for him but my mate took ages and cherry picked his best cards (and I am sure manipulated tem as well). He ended up off 15 or 16 but he was nowhere near that.

Then followed the constant accusations of our handicaps being too high when we were coming in with 33 points compared to his 18-24 points each round. He would not have it that it was handicap too low for his actual ability.

I got fed up with it all in the end and that led to my 10+ year hiatus from a game that up to that point I had really enjoyed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I think you need to take your golf slightly less seriously.

If I play, say like yesterday, in a bounce game with the loser buying the drinks, I'm certainly not trying to play to my handicap. I'm trying shots out, going for the odd career best shot, etc etc. And mist definitely practicing - these things I do not do when I've a card in my hand. So my handicap is 12 whatever I shoot on a non comp day!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Men and our ego's, gets us in all sorts of bother! 🙈

I'm afraid this got me laughing out loud!

One simple assessment of things will show you how funny this is - look at the average ladies competition results across a load of clubs and see just how many end up SSS+3 RO; then look at the number of increases applied to lady members in ARs.

Appreciate that you may not have access to things like howdidido for data, or the inside track on AR output but on the face of it there are a lot more ladies out there who's handicaps 'flatter a little' than men.

I do however agree that it's somewhat surprising in the context of ego!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course it's not cheating. Your handicap is your stretch ability under competition pressure when you have to hole out on every hole. Casual and gimme golf is not the same thing.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Handicap is a reflection of how well u can and have played to get it where it is.

No one shoots their lowest round every time they play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Social golf and competition golf are two very different scenarios for me and most of the golfers I know. People need to chill more, golf is meant to be fun not serious.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm afraid this got me laughing out loud!

One simple assessment of things will show you how funny this is - look at the average ladies competition results across a load of clubs and see just how many end up SSS+3 RO; then look at the number of increases applied to lady members in ARs.

Appreciate that you may not have access to things like howdidido for data, or the inside track on AR output but on the face of it there are a lot more ladies out there who's handicaps 'flatter a little' than men.

I do however agree that it's somewhat surprising in the context of ego!

Oh really? Yeah I have no access to things like that to be honest and was just having a guess.
That has surprised me a bit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Men and our ego's, gets us in all sorts of bother! 

A comment I would not agree with as a handicap committee chairman. Our handicap secretary reckons this is where the biggest increases will be when the new handicap system comes in.

Last edited:

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A comment I would not agree with as a handicap committee chairman. Our handicap secretary reckons this is where the biggest increases will be when the new handicap system comes in.

Yes I was talking with no knowledge and just guessing to be fair.
It does suprise me though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It happens. Seems plenty out there that protect their handicaps and are playing far lower when they enter open events and often threaten the prize table. Daft to suggest otherwise. The TT and other events have shown it. However at my club, I can't think of anyone that doesn't play regularly and put cards in irrespective.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Of course it's not cheating.

How about someone with an artificially 'manipulated' low handicap who receives say some county funding / or gets selected to play for teams / or is balloted into prestigious events etc - ahead of those who've genuinely earned it?

Sure they're not winning comps and taking the money but still...