Is there real competition on Golf equipment prices?

Ridgeman

Visit site
Thought I would take a look for a new hybrid today. Had my eye on the Callaway Rogue. Quick check and its on sale at a site for £149 down from £229. A check elsewhere and surprise surprise its £149 nearly everywhere else. Is it just me or is this always the case with equipment. Clothing I know you can get deals on but when it comes to the likes of trollies then the prices are always the same everywhere. Powakaddy may occasionally have a deal where they throw in the trolley bag but when they do all the shops do all at the same price. It just feels there is no real competition when it comes to golf equipment.

The online shops seem to match each other on prices and when comes to the likes of trollies and GPS watches then there is no real discount to be found anywhere.

Bit of a negative thread to start the year but I'm looking out at my course and its covered with snow.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess it's down to what the mark-up is between trade and retail price. I know there is very little discount to retailers on golf clubs so little room for discount but clothing is a different matter. When new clubs are released then retailers will want to get rid of old stock and will subsequently reduce prices.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've always thought that the sales reps control the cutting of prices, the price is always about the same when first released and prices dropping are co-ordinated, and I further suspect that when gear is just not sold at the lowest price a store/proshop is allowed to go to back to the makers and they credit the account holder.i seem to remember that RPM (retail price maintenance) was made illegal many years back, but everything from washing machines to cars are all pretty much the same price wherever you go so RPM still thrives !.

Mandofred

Visit site
Our pro shop is tied in to Snainton now, so he will match their prices. Occasionally, if he wants to get rid of something he knocks a little more off......not normal though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not in a million years. Local pros in my experience can match the price at the very best.
Pros at a couple of my past clubs have part of the Foremost network - so pretty consistent and 'price-matched'; and prepared to add a small amount more for 'good' custom occasionally.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ironically the race to the bottom (being the cheapest) only results in less competition and buying options.

Personally I would rather buy local , and accept a possibly higher price but better service and relationship.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ironically the race to the bottom (being the cheapest) only results in less competition and buying options.

Personally I would rather buy local , and accept a possibly higher price but better service and relationship.
Why do you need any level of service or relationship when buying a pack of balls for eg. I understand with clubs etc

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Why do you need any level of service or relationship when buying a pack of balls for eg. I understand with clubs etc

Can you separate commodities like that? On course shops will need to sell the whole range to be viable.

Have you ever arrived at a course and found you'd left something at home, were low on balls/tees etc etc.

I'd rather have our Pro on site, than not!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you ever arrived at a course and found you'd left something at home, were low on balls/tees etc etc.

In 12 years of playing golf I have never, not even on one occasion had a need to visit a pro shop before my round.
What I don't understand is there are alot of people that support their pro but wear it like a badge of honor. If paying £15 for a £12 glove is your thing then fine.

I purchased 3 gloves from my pro this year after he posted on Facebook "one off offer for three". I checked online and he was still more expensive. I should have checked first

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yep. We're all different!

I stocked up when our Pro ran a special on gloves. He's custom fitted me for some rescues at the same price as the best I could have got on the net.

I also bought some expensive socks from Saunton this summer when I went to change after play and realised I'd forgotten to pack a spare pair!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps I view it as all part of the same thing. Buying the small incidental stuff is just as important as buying the big budget stuff.
Use or lose. It's the same philosophy I take to all small businesses.:)

Dannyc

Visit site
In 12 years of playing golf I have never, not even on one occasion had a need to visit a pro shop before my round.
What I don't understand is there are alot of people that support their pro but wear it like a badge of honor. If paying £15 for a £12 glove is your thing then fine.

I purchased 3 gloves from my pro this year after he posted on Facebook "one off offer for three". I checked online and he was still more expensive. I should have checked first
Happy Xmas ?

Ridgeman

Visit site
Ended up looking at the Garmin S62, which is to be honest nothing like a hybrid club at all. Again all the prices were the same for the bundle. Then remembered to check the Blue Light website to find Garmin were selling at £100 discount. Now I just need to persuade myself that I need it!

Ridgeman

Visit site
Is that site actually any good for golf stuff? Never thought to check

Good question. I tend not to check either.

Its great for Apple and Samsung things ( not golf related)

American Golf 10%
Scottsdale Golf 10%
Titleist 5%
TopGolf 50% off peak
and some local to some people discounts on tee times.
Garmin its up to 40% discount.

S62 bundle is £399 rather than £499. £384 for the non Bundle
S60 is £280
Approach 10 is £104

Still not sure I can justify it as an upgrade to my S60

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My pro is linked to Foremost but will price match any valid deal online. Just give him the link and he'll check it and match

I have found that a lot of manufacturers like Motocaddy will set a price and won't allow retailers to discount on that. I have always tried to support my pro but clothing wise he tends to stock 90% of stock with the club logo on and I have enough of that stuff already. It is something I know a few members have mentioned (including me) so maybe in 2021 he'll consider something different as the brands he stocks are decent. For things like shoes, my pro (certainly the long established one I knew outside of golf too) did me prices that I knew wouldn't be beaten so that was a no brainer.

For clubs I prefer to try before I buy, certainly on things like putters so I'll shop around and try the specific model I want. There are bargains to be had but sometimes you can spend longer looking to save that extra £10 and in my opinion life is too short. As long as I feel I've paid a reasonable price then I'm usually happy