Is there real competition on Golf equipment prices?

Ridgeman

Visit site
I have found that a lot of manufacturers like Motocaddy will set a price and won't allow retailers to discount on that.

I also believe that to be true which was my issue. Wasn't expecting the thread to turn into a supporting the pro one. It was more about what I would call almost price fixing. Big Manufacturers not allowing retailers to set prices. I know it protects the smaller seller if they do that but is that at a cost to the consumer? Its a problem not just for golf. Hi-fi equipment is just the same.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also believe that to be true which was my issue. Wasn't expecting the thread to turn into a supporting the pro one. It was more about what I would call almost price fixing. Big Manufacturers not allowing retailers to set prices. I know it protects the smaller seller if they do that but is that at a cost to the consumer? Its a problem not just for golf. Hi-fi equipment is just the same.
It's having the small sellers that keep's the big boys on their toys and stops them controlling the prices.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's having the small sellers that keep's the big boys on their toys and stops them controlling the prices.
I disagree. Angling direct is a company that pretty much Baught out every player in the fishing market. They have more shops so buy more stock and pass on bigger discounts

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The big brands have control, they will take away their stuff away if the prices are not their desired figures. We have given them that control, because we want their stuff... they use their surplus profit generated by these inflated prices to support magazines with advertising and free trial stuff , its progressed to youtubers, and it pays for hugely exaggerated advertising claims... which then makes us want their stuff... so we are to blame in the end