Wine Prices

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good lord they go up and down like a rollercoaster. Although currently they are rocketing up. My fav, Turner Road is up to £6.75 when a month ago it was £5! Crazy! And Tesco's 25% off is a joke as they mess with the prices before they put the offer on. Inflation at 6% pah don't make me laugh, its more like 12%

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
£37.95 for 30 bottles

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My favourite Merlot has just gone up to €2.35. Scandalous!

My favourite white is Baron de Ley white Rioja. Currently, €5.30 here but retailing at around £11.00 in the U.K.

D-S

Visit site

My favourite white is Baron de Ley white Rioja. Currently, €5.30 here but retailing at around £11.00 in the U.K.
We like Baron de Ley too. Normal price at Waitrose is 8.99, currently on offer at 7.99 but last week it was 25% off so £6.75.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When Tesco have a week of 25% off 6 bottles, I take full advantage. Some really good deals to be had.
Last time, £8.95 Wolf Blass Cab Sav 14.5° had been reduced to £8.
Lets just say, I bought a few costing me £6 each.

(Should arithmetic errors be viewed the same way as grammar and spelling errors?
Aksing for a fiend.)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Asda also do the 25% off from time to time and do not seem to raise the price accordingly before hand I buy the same 3 wines most weeks.

What I have noticed generally is the same wine in Asda and Tesco is often about £1 a bottle more in Tesco

E.G Wolf Blass Cab Sav is £6.50 - £ 7 in Asda

D-S

Visit site
When Tesco have a week of 25% off 6 bottles, I take full advantage. Some really good deals to be had.

(Should arithmetic errors be viewed the same way as grammar and spelling errors?
Aksing for a fiend.)
Not sure if arithmetic point was made at the post above yours but 25% offer was from 8.99 normal price not the 7.99 offer price as is the way with their 25% for 6 or more deals.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Not sure if arithmetic point was made at the post above yours but 25% offer was from 8.99 normal price not the 7.99 offer price as is the way with their 25% for 6 or more deals.
My apologies.
Too much wine last night , not enough coffee yet this morning.

Reactions: D-S

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Asda also do the 25% off from time to time and do not seem to raise the price accordingly before hand I buy the same 3 wines most weeks.

What I have noticed generally is the same wine in Asda and Tesco is often about £1 a bottle more in Tesco

E.G Wolf Blass Cab Sav is £6.50 - £ 7 in Asda
Current price for Wolf Blass Cab Sav 14.5% is £9.25 in Tesco and £9 in Asda.

The Wolf Blass blended Shiraz and CabSav 14% is £6.50 in Asda.

Last edited:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Mmmm Baron de Ley. As part of an organised wine tour to Northern Spain around 20 years ago we got shown around the winery and then sat down for lunch around 2pm at their restaurant. Many courses later, and after copious amounts of Rioja and a tumbler full of rough brandy we left at 6.30pm for the next item on our tour which was “afternoon free” 🍷🤣

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Current price for Wolf Blass Cab Sav 14.5% is £9.25 in Tesco and £9 in Asda.

The Wolf Blass blended Shiraz and CabSav 14% £6.50 in Asda.
I had a funny over this sort of thing a few years ago

I was doing a pre-med in hospital. One of the questions asked is how many units of alcohol I drink a week. The nurse could not believe it when I told her around 40 she asked me to go through it. She was a bit taken aback when I pointed out that a bottle of red around 14% is 10-11 units On their charts I reckon they had wine at 8%.

WGCRider

Visit site
The price of wine has gone up cause of tax. In August the government added about £1 a bottle in tax. Tax is around £3 on a bottle of wine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The price of wine has gone up cause of tax. In August the government added about £1 a bottle in tax. Tax is around £3 on a bottle of wine.
it was not £1

Most wine will see an increase of £0.44 per 75cl bottle, or a 20% increase in the duty paid (£2.67 vs the current £2.23). This increase will apply to wines with an ABV between 11.5% and 14.5%.

So the drinkers of most white wines got away with it