Is there any point...

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I went to the range today to find a swing for the East Brighton forum meet this week. Normally I like to practice my chipping and putting but I noticed on the way in that both greens had just been hollowtined so I decided to skip it.

On the way out I noticed lots of people practising their chipping and putting. The guilt kicked in and I decided to give it a go. On the chipping green things went badly, the ball was bouncing randomly all over the place due to uneven surface. It was impossible to get the ball near to the pins consistently.

So I moved onto the putting green where I noticed people were going through drills with string and other putting aides. This gave me hope that the putting green may be better.
Again the surface was so uneven that it was impossible to know if I was putting accurately or not. The ball jumped up and to the sides so much I really couldn't see any value in putting.
Also I found it hard to get my alignment right as the rows of holes confused my stroke on any putt that wasn't in the same direction. I tried to line up putts to go along the lines of holes but the ball jumped even worse.
I actually felt the practice session has made my putting and chipping worse. I cannot understand why there were people making serious putting practice on such a poor surface.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They may be whats known as a golf addict. It is a common affliction fror which there is no known medical cure. It involves an insane desire to hit the white golf ball either on the course or a range and if all else fails to utilise a putting green with an urge to stay there until a chip is holed or three foot putts conquered. These people need your sympathy.

I know what you mean though. Our putting green was hollow tines last autumn when I wanted (needed) to really work on my chipping and putting but it just made the whole thing a waste of time. I think I gave up after 15 minutes as you couldn't gauge distance or line

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you really expect in January?

Ensure a good strike and forget about the outcome.

Andy

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I heard that some places like to let the frost get in and kill the bacteria that causes problems. No idea if that's what actually happens, would be good if someone who knows about such things could clarify when the best time of year to hollow tine is.

Under those conditions, i would only be looking for control of the trajectory and distance through the air, not worry too much about how it bounces and rolls, wouldn't bother with the putting.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I often wonder whether these people actually understand what it is they are practicing or whether they are just doing it because they think they should.

Practice isn't about the amount of balls you hit it's about the quality of the balls you hit and if you can't get consistent results because of conditions there's no point.

I wonder how many of those people practicing their chipping were using range balls? Another waste of time IMHO.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess they could have been there as their wives had chores or decorating waiting for them at home? Certainly my wife did when I got back :p
I'll stick to putting on a mat in my spare room for the moment. At least it's warmer and smoother there.

I thought it was strange that they had hollowtined already. I would expect courses to be doing it in April/May, I assume it will take much longer for the greens to recover..

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For chipping put something on your intended landing spot and chip onto it, that is what chipping is all about regardless of the outcome.

Putting, well that's a different story, I s'pose you could hit a couple to get an approximate pace but just don't worry about it as long as you are happy with your stroke.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me at this time of year I chip into spare range buckets, this helps a lot! Umbrella for the longer or higher shots.

For putting I forget the distance stuff for the most part and concentrate on holing as many 2 foot putts in a row, my best so far is about 32.

Last summer I holed 57 5 footers in a row!