Is there a course you would never tire of playing?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Having read the thread about number of rounds played each year by some people, it made me think how many rounds before I would get bored with a course.

So is there any course you would never get tired of playing if you were playing it 150+ times a year every year?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Royal Norwich GC - Home Club. Wouldnt continue to play there if I couldn't play it each week!

Thorpeness - Played it in November, itching to go back! Absolutely loved it!

Off to play WoodHall Spa for the first time in March.....going on what I've been told that may be added to the list too!

D

Deleted member 17920

North Berwick West Links

I could never ever get bored of that place.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never played an away course often enough to find out. There are courses I love but is part of that because of the novelty? It becomes different if you are playing a medal round week after week. Best answer for me would be Knaresborough but that is with the proviso given.

D

Deleted member 1147

Both of the courses at Sunningdale I would imagine would keep me happy for a long time.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wolf Creek or Notts or Woodhall Spa

despite the fact Sunningdale and Swinley are better IMO, the lack of length would frustrate me at times, whereas Notts and Woodhall have so many tee options you could play the course differently all the time

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest this is one of the prerequisites for me joining a club.
I play most of my golf at my club and it needs to be able to hold my interest at least twice a week 40/45weeks of the year..

Sure, if money was no object then a Sunningdale/Hankley/Swinley would work but, realistically, The Zoo works too...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of those ive been a member of for a decent length of time I tired of Enfield and definitely tired of AVGC, the one I didnt was Studley Wood, albeit that was when it was more a sleepy members club than the very busy proprietary one it is now.

Think i could happily have played the 2 courses at Brocket Hall (where dad was) on a regular basis (especially with the practise facilities on offer)

Be interesting to see where i put to the test next, but im the sort who likes to change after a while

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I never tire of playing my own. Not the toughest or most varied, scenic or challenging in the world - but it has sufficient about it to make every round a new experience. Every round there will be a moment when I stand back and gaze at the course or the view, and think to myself 'you are one fortunate fella to be a member of this place'. Hopefully I will never stop feeling fortunate and expressing my gratitude to whom I must give thanks.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve played some cracking courses and plenty that I could play happily on a regular basis but I think even the greatest courses must lose some of their allure if you play them as often as in the OP.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I’ve played some cracking courses and plenty that I could play happily on a regular basis but I think even the greatest courses must lose some of their allure if you play them as often as in the OP.

My thoughts exactly :thup:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes and no - I played a lot at Wentworth and the answer that came from that was that if they were 'great courses' you didn't really tire of them!

If what you are suggesting is that some of the so called great courses don't stand up to that rating once you have unlimited access....then I would tend to agree!

Of the Wentworth courses my distinct preference was the East, but guests mainly wanted to play the West.

I've been playing matches for my current club with many other clubs for nearly a decade now, and whilst I started off as focused on the away fixtures without regard for the underlying courses I now find myself being more selective and preferring home fixtures!

Guess I joined the right club...

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Birkdale for me.

The course is great but the weather makes it a different course each time you play it.

Some courses yu can play on auto-pilot - not Birkdale.