Is the cost of living crisis affecting your golf/plans?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
No actually I've not seen, but after a long chat with my mate this morning, his has gone through the roof with a 50% increase on his monthly payment. We've not been contacted as yet, but fully expect an increase. We have a multi fuel burner so will be on the lookout for wood in any shape or form ready for winter, lord I'm sounding like a squirrel. I realise that some will be struggling, but I do hope they look at their other monthly outgoings and make adjustments before they start to complain. Also, warmer weather is coming (April - September) so the major use and bills won't hit for a while.
Ugh. What a take.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Sometime I wonder if he is a parody account..nobody can be that ridiculous

No I’ve met him at a forum meet, his forum personality is echoed in real life.

He has his opinions and is free to air them as long as they are within the rules.

Everyone has the right to agree, disagree or ignore , but whatever, it’s not something to get upset about

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
No I’ve met him at a forum meet, his forum personality is echoed in real life.

He has his opinions and is free to air them as long as they are within the rules.

Everyone has the right to agree, disagree or ignore , but whatever, it’s not something to get upset about
That's quite sad to hear. He must have had so many times in his life where his lack of empathy, would have resulted in those around him saying/thinking 'What a nasty so and so.'

Still, I guess the bonus of being so deluded is that he has probably never even realised :)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
He’s quite right tho…generally those that moan have sky, smoke, go down the pub 6 nights a week and take a 2 week holiday abroad as a ‘right’….it’ll be hard for everyone, me included, but will just have to get on with it!
It appears I have stumbled into the Daily Mail comments section.

No mention of 'avocado on toast' means you just miss out on a full house :(

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
He’s quite right tho…generally those that moan have sky, smoke, go down the pub 6 nights a week and take a 2 week holiday abroad as a ‘right’….it’ll be hard for everyone, me included, but will just have to get on with it!
I feel the same about those moaning about petrol prices when I see so many drivers driving in such a way as to keep their mpg as low as possible.
If everyone drove more sensibly and smoothly, just think how much less petrol would be used and overall emissions reduced.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have two games arranged for next week at Dunbar, one on Sunday and the other on Tuesday. The cost of diesel has risen to £1.799/litre so two round trips of 200 miles each will cost over £80!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is everyone experiencing similar raises for home energy costs - between 50-60% based on currant usage/deal? Or is it more complicated than that? We’re locked into a fixed deal until 30 April so have not yet heard what the proposed increase will be. Would be good to understand the likely ball park figure.

Fortunately it won’t impact my golf too much. However, can see it being a difficult decision for some. Especially given the current situation and the likelihood that the price cap will rise again in October.

Mandofred

Visit site
I was lucky and our energy plan was up for renewal about 4 months ago. I could see the prices going up (although not this much), so I locked our prices for 24 months at a little more than we were already paying. A few weeks after that, the energy company completely deleted our account...hmmmm. Then they tried to have us start all over again at a higher amount.....unfortunately for them we still had emails showing what we had already agreed to. They then tried to slip in an 18 month contract by stating "see....from 2021 to 2023".....I got them to move it to the full 24 month contract we had already agreed to. So for another 1.5 years we are looking good.....a bit of luck, but I'll take it.

I'm also planning on moving to a club that is very close. It closes more in crap weather than my current clubs.....but if I can get hold of a locker (they didn't have any available when I checked) I can just walk there and back.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m looking for a new club, and the 2 main contenders are around £27 a month different in cost. The more expensive one is a nice pretty course, the cheaper one is a bit less favourable (see booking system thread). It won’t just come down to the cost difference, but it’s certainly a bigger factor than it would’ve been 6 months ago, particularly with COL prices expected to rise further and us wanting to move house this year.

Is £27 a month a big deal in the grand scheme of things? No. But it’s certainly making me think hard to justify it to my wife!

I’ve got golf in Spain in May (hopefully), that’s all paid for apart from spending money, which is good. And I do have another weekend I’m trying to fit in and still will as long as things don’t get really tight.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I was planning on getting a full bag fitting, but I’ll stick with what I have for now. Not that there is anything wrong with my current kit.

With the cost associated with inflation, the wife reducing her working hours (great timing) and selling our small business. We’ll be well about £1.5k per month down on household income.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Might have an impact as to whether I choose to change my own driver - set for my daughter was expensive enough! - but won't really change whether I renew my membership or not.

It might change whether I go to every monthly society outing - 'value for money' has to come into it, that probably depends on the course and whether food is included. We, more or less, play the same courses every year the cost to a society is up 25% in some cases so it is making me think is it worth the day off work, the travel, weather risk etc.