Is Rory done?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just because you are a better player doesn’t mean that you can turn up and win. You still need the desire, especially at the level these players are at. Lots on here have slagged Poulter off this weekend and gave him no chance today, but he has just gone 3 up as he WANTS to keep his singles record intact.

You said the Americans wanted it more, implying that’s why they won. That statement is rubbish. They won because they played better. It happens in all walks of life, for someone to win someone loses.

Visit site
I do look a fool for my earlier post and so do a few others on here, and I was obviously v wrong. However, I think many including myself are just trying to find a reason to explain his loss of form and decline over the last few years.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did anyone see Dustin Johnson’s interview? He said they (The Americans) probably wanted it more. Although most of you have probably switched over now that Europe have lost so didn’t see that. A bit like Spurs supporters this afternoon that left the ground when their team went 3:0 down. ?. And no, I do not support Arsenal.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do look a fool for my earlier post and so do a few others on here, and I was obviously v wrong. However, I think many including myself are just trying to find a reason to explain his loss of form and decline over the last few years.
Family life, get married and the missus always knows how to clip your wings or ground you. The kids don’t care, they vomit or cover you in Pooh and break your heart .. the wife moans about you doing the time even if it pays the bills .. it’s just the way it is. You lose your life, and then the school sets homework and your weekends get mucked up, just because they haven’t done anything constructive in the time they have the child…

Parent rant over .. I know rory’s pain ?

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This thread seems to pop up in various guises every time Rory has a lean spell. The bouncy young McIlroy with his mojo is long gone but a current world ranking of 15 is hardly shabby. Having desire is one thing but if your game just isn't there then you are kind of stuffed. He'll probably go and win the next tournament he plays in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This thread seems to pop up in various guises every time Rory has a lean spell. The bouncy young McIlroy with his mojo is long gone but a current world ranking of 15 is hardly shabby. Having desire is one thing but if your game just isn't there then you are kind of stuffed. He'll probably go and win the next tournament he plays in.
Yeah, I have to say, for all the talk about Rory, he's only gone from elite to very good level. When other players drop off they REALLY drop off - see Fowler, Rose a year or so back, Speith until recently, Donald, Kaymer, etc. Shows you how much talent he has when him with all the wheels come off is still better than most players. As others have said it's absolutely a mentality thing I think. He's just not 100% focussed on golf anymore, and there's nothing wrong with that if he's happy enough.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
This is the type of question that, in a strange way, is only reserved for certain types of players in any sport - ie those who are the very best, those who have achieved, or those whose expectation is at an elevated level.... so in a way, it's sort of a compliment that he's in that bracket. I can't see it, for example, being aimed at a Jamie Donaldson, Stephen Gallacher or even a Matthew Fitzpatrick, with no disrespect meant to any of them.

He's not done, but he's definitely at a crossroads where he could be a very good journeyman golfer picking up concessional wins (a career many would be happy with). That won't satisfy him (mentally) because he considers himself to be better than that so he'll always be hoping that return to his golden era is just around the corner. He tasted success so early and really at a time when people did the thinking for him, his peers were in awe of him and protected him and he was allowed to be a happy, bouncy young man with no worries. 18 year old footballers play with no fear; 28 year old footballers play with responsibilities. McIlroy at 32 is playing with responsibilities. He has a family and young child and given his background the responsibility to fulfill those family obligations will be high. I don't think he's 'done' however; I hope the people close to him see how he was at the end yesterday and realise he needs a little help. He could do worse than start to split his time more evenly across the tours, take a proper review of his scheduling where it's not so Major focused, and free himself of self imposed responsibilities (for example, his comments in relation to Rahm were odd before the tournament were strange (at least to me)).

As mentioned above, the USA didn't want it more (no matter how much they want it, combined they could never want it more than Poulter alone) but perhaps McIlroy and Poulter wanted it too much. It's interesting, in terms of emotions, despite winning yesterday both were overcome. I can't tell you how delighted I was to see GMac give him a hug yesterday after he won; if I was Gerry this morning I might be on the phone to Clarke and Gmac asking for a bit of advice and assistance.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Finau didnt win for how many years? Does anyone call him "done"?

Rory will come good again

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Honestly, Finau has barely won anything at all considering how good he is. I'm not sure you could have picked a worse comparison, ha.

Sorry to disappoint you - but another top 20 PGA tour golfer who went years without a win isnt a bad example in my mind :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you - but another top 20 PGA tour golfer who went years without a win isnt a bad example in my mind :ROFLMAO:
Not to labour on this, but the issue is that Rory was at the very top of the game, winning majors, had potential to dominate the sport but then dropped off from that level. Finau was never at that level, he's a just a very good golfer who has never won enough.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that the problem will always be one between hype and reality.

Rory was hyped up in a number of circles to be the next Tiger Woods, to be competing with Tiger on the last day of majors and to then take over his mantle when time caught up with him. It could be argued that Nike felt the same way and bet the farm on that happening.

Noboday an argue that Rory has not been a very successful golfer or that he is a very talented golfer but he has not been helped by the early hype that he was the natural successor to Tiger Woods when it may be generations before anybody can live up to that mantle.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess it depends how you read the questions:

"Is Rory done?" as a title personally suggests the OP is asking if he can compete, win majors etc. Then Finau comparison or any of the other top players like JT works as you wouldn't say they were done but instead stars of the game. I expect that he can compete, win comps, potentially win a couple of majors etc.

If you see it as "Is Rory past his best" then fine, you're talking about whether someone can achieve "Greatness" levels like 2014 when he won multiple majors. Potentially not, but then after Tiger won the "Tiger slam" i wouldn't have suggested he was "done" even though he was unlikely to win 4 majors a year and didn't win for a couple of years so was past his very significant best.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didnt realise only Major's mattered?

Rory could win 20 more PGA tour events with no majors, is he still "done"?
To an extent yes. Once you put yourself into the bracket of multi major winners, then that is the key benchmark. Lesser wins a more footnotes, and not career defining to the same extent.

Swango1980

Visit site
Rory has a quiet end to the season, and has a poor Ryder Cup, winning just one point.

So much for the great European support, for those that seem to have the attitude "pack your bags son, your done". Nothing like supporting your team through the good and bad times.

Personally, if the Ryder Cup was to be played in 6 months time and someone told me I had to pick the team now, as I had all 12 picks, then I would absolutely, categorically 100% pick Rory McIlroy as one of my 12. I'd imagine Rahm, Garcia, Hofland and Fleetwood would also definitely be in my team, maybe Lowry. I'd like time to think about the other 6 players. So, in my eyes, Rory is definitely not "done".