Is it acceptable to play golf on Christmas Day?

Is it OK to play golf on Christmas Day?

• Yes

Votes: 76 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 25.5%

• Total voters

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weird question - if you don't have family commitments then why shouldn't you? Even if you can fit it in alongside family commitments I don't see why not. I'd have thought golf courses might not be open though as people wouldn't want to work on xmas day, and you wouldn't expect it to be busy.

I don't think they are expecting the courses to be staffed.. litterally just sitting there.. like during lockdown when people just played

My course not a chance big locked gates and no where to walk on

Other courses you might be able to sneak on

But like @Lord Tyrion says if no one working is there insurance issue

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think they are expecting the courses to be staffed.. litterally just sitting there.. like during lockdown when people just played

My course not a chance big locked gates and no where to walk on

Other courses you might be able to sneak on

But like @Lord Tyrion says if no one working is there insurance issue
I could never be that desperate to play that I'd sneak on an unstaffed course - particularly on Christmas Day when you could be stuffing your face and drinking profusely instead.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since when does a members' golf course need to be "staffed"????

What on earth are people going on about? It's a big piece of grass, just turn up and play.

And what has some random member of staff have to do with insurance?

Surely legally you need a first aider to open

Playing on your own.. you slip break your ankle nobody knows your out thsre

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could never be that desperate to play that I'd sneak on an unstaffed course - particularly on Christmas Day when you could be stuffing your face and drinking profusely instead.

Even before the kids it was time with the wife xmas week

Next week I've turned down untold amounts of overtime because we have had a covid outbreak but I've said unless you can't cover it full stop I'm at home with the kids

Golf can wait until new year's week. Thats boring got the 9 hole come before work

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I don’t think it’s acceptable that I play on Christmas Day and I wouldn’t want too, it would be selfish but that’s just based on my circumstances, i work long hours, and already use lots of free time and holidays to play. I think that its perfectly acceptable for others if their situation is different

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have no commitments so I will be out there again for the fourth straight Christmas Day game. Just trying to decide which course to go and play.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I didn't have family commitments (ie Mrs Backwoodsman) I'd happily go and play if I could. However, she means more to me than does golf, so I wouldn't. And in any case, our course is closed that day - meaning gates are locked, clubhouse is closed, as are all facilities.

I take the point that you don't nornally need any facilities open, provided you are content to take the unprepared course as you find it. But this year? Current requirements in England are that you must pre-book your round, and (at our place at least) you must check-in at the Pro-shop/starter before going out. Elsewhere may have different rules, but at ours, I dont see how this can be complied with unless we insisted that someone would have to be on duty. (But as I say, we'll be closed anyway)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is it any different to mid summer when you could go out at 730-8pm for 9 holes after all the staff have gone home?
Would the clubhouse be closed then as well? No bar open? It doesn't have to be a manager or pro present, any employee is sufficient.

I'm not trying to be deliberately awkward, fill your boots if you want to play. I'm only looking at this from an insurance/ legal standpoint. Would your club be in major trouble if an accident occurred on the premises with no one present and the club knowingly allowing you to play?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Would the clubhouse be closed then as well? No bar open? It doesn't have to be a manager or pro present, any employee is sufficient.

I'm not trying to be deliberately awkward, fill your boots if you want to play. I'm only looking at this from an insurance/ legal standpoint. Would your club be in major trouble if an accident occurred on the premises with no one present and the club knowingly allowing you to play?

I'm assuming that the clubhouse etc. would be closed, so any accident would be out on the course. If you have golf insurance, wouldn't that cover it???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm assuming that the clubhouse etc. would be closed, so any accident would be out on the course. If you have golf insurance, wouldn't that cover it???
It's whether the club could be held responsible for not having anyone present to deal with the accident. Insurance can be murky, as is litigation. My queries/ worries may be unfounded, I have simply raised it as a potential issue.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's whether the club could be held responsible for not having anyone present to deal with the accident. Insurance can be murky, as is litigation. My queries/ worries may be unfounded, I have simply raised it as a potential issue.

So long as the Club sends out a message that its closed on Christmas Day and that members are not allowed to play, and perhaps a notice to that effect on the board then I'd think they would not be responsible if someone ignored it

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Reminds me of a very old vicar golf joke which ends when God tells St Peter .... ah but wait until the 15th when I will give him a hole in one and he will not be able to tell anyone.:love:

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
We have electric gates that open and you'd need the code or your club card to get out.
When my kids were younger then no chance but now that they're grown up and don't get up till 2pm then why not.
I played last year and it was almost empty except for some members like me or those who don't celebrate Christmas.
I'll be out there again this year, weather permitting.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not sure what the difference is to when we came out of lockdown in May, no one was working in the club then either. at the moment our shop is shut and the bar closes at 3pm so anyone on the course would be in the same situation.
some clubs around here have a comp on new years day, everything is closed except the course.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That question needs answered on several levels.

First, will you wife/partner/significant other consider it out of bounds?
Second, is the course even open
Third, is it wise from a health point of view.

As discussed here before, my opinion is that golf, played outdoors with social distancing and the other procedures England Golf is pretty safe, so long as you navigate arrival and departure wisely.

In terms of the safety comparison between that and taking the kids to see granny, no contest. Fore!