Is it acceptable to play golf on Christmas Day?

Is it OK to play golf on Christmas Day?

• Yes

Votes: 76 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 25.5%

• Total voters

Pin-seeker

Visit site
People are different....what works for one doesn't work for another. It might not work for you, but you can't lump everybody into one category. What if you don't celebrate Christmas at all? What if you don't have kids? What if my wife just wants me out of the house for a few hours so she can get some peace and quiet? I'd have no trouble doing it, not religious, don't have kids although my wife does.
It was a genuine question??

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Not sure I’ve ever done it. Growing up my old man and I would play Boxing Day, used to love it and would give me the chance to give my terrible Christmas BHS jumper a run out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can obviously understand why people would not play if they have kids/and or families to spend time with, but what I don't get is why would any club close the course to its members?

Seems bizarre, people do loads of stuff on Christmas morning, go cycling, swimming, running, walking, playing golf etc etc.
If they open the course then does somebody from the club need to be present? For insurance purposes for example to deal with any issues, health wise for example. If it has to be staffed then the costs may be deemed to be excessive and unnecessary for the numbers you would get. It depends on the club I guess, do they have a history of people playing on that day.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d play if I could as I don’t particularly like Christmas, think it’s a total waste of money but I go along with it for the wife’s sake. I’ve been a member at 4 clubs though and they have all bee shut Xmas day.

Mandofred

Visit site
It was a genuine question??
I thought I answered it.....in a genuine way....

I'm not being snarky. Christmas is important to some people.....but a whole bunch of other people ignore it. I don't care much for it at all....but I understand that people consider it important and I semi-respect that. But I guess I resist the religious insistence on following "their" rules....because they are the "important" rules.

Now...I'm not likely to play Christmas morning....not even sure whether ours will be open.....but if somebody called me up and asked me to play I wouldn't hesitate as long as it didn't bother my wife....and it wouldn't.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm not sure if we're open or not...not that I'll be there.
We have gates to the front 9 as it's on the other side of the road from the clubhouse and a footpath goes alongside.
So there would need to be someone on hand to unlock and lock up
The back 9 is totally accessible from the car park so it would be very easy to play 9.
The greens wouldn't get cut or sweep but you'd take it as you find it.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The club usually allow it, doesn’t appeal to me. But I can appreciate if you don’t have family or choose not to celebrate Christmas you might fancy a game on an unprepared course.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
As I don’t celebrate Christmas , I have no issue playing on Christmas Day. But if the club decide the course is closed, then I wouldn’t out of respect to their decision.

It’d only be 9 holes anyway if I did as we still do a family dinner

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't celebrate Christmas and see no reason why people can't play if the course is accessible. Clearly the Clubhouse facilities have to be closed.

We are part of a park which is open to the public 365 days a year. There are always a few people playing on December 25th, most of them non-members on a freebie.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not a case of "opening" the course, the course is always there. I don't understand what sort of warped thinking would say "members can't play on this day".

If there is restricted access, like a locked gate at the entrance to a long driveway, that would make sense as you can't necessarily expect someone to open and close it, but most courses are fairly easily accessible, members should be able to just go and play.
My point is purely insurance driven. If there is no gate to unlock and no need for any employee to be present then leave the flags in and let members play. If there is an insurance issue then that changes everything. I don't know where clubs stand on that issue, maybe someone on here will know?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a young family so I can’t, but if a persons circumstances allow it’s of course acceptable to play.

If I was single this Christmas I’d be there with bells on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weird question - if you don't have family commitments then why shouldn't you? Even if you can fit it in alongside family commitments I don't see why not. I'd have thought golf courses might not be open though as people wouldn't want to work on xmas day, and you wouldn't expect it to be busy.