Is a glove essential?

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all, first post here :D

Just starting to play again after a 7-8 year lay off and I've played a couple of rounds thus far with no glove as I couldn't find it :D I played ok actually so wondered if a glove was actually essential and if it contributed anything to your game.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I certainly don't think they are essential, but I wear one as I'm pretty sweaty and I use it as part of my pre-shot routine

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
It's down to personal preference really. I prefer not to wear one but I regrip my clubs once a year. I find cord grips and no glove perform better for me.

In contrast, I play with some guys that wear two gloves all year round.

A glove is certainly not essential, go with what works best for you.

Thinking about it now, do you know any tour pro's that don't wear a glove?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me, yes the are essential.

My post is based on my own personal experience. I have/get sweaty hands when I play. So much so I have to wipe my hands on my towel before I put my glove on and play a shot.

I don't profess to them being essential for everyone, but for me they certainly are.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
A glove for all full shots and then I take it off for all finesse shots (putting, chipping, pitching from lesser distances) if conditions allow.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
...and you need one with a hole in the base of the fleshy part of your thumb

Interesting you should mention that, I've just found an old glove of mine and that is exactly where it's showing signs of wear, not a hole just a bit rough and scuffed looking - is that a bad thing?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Interesting you should mention that, I've just found an old glove of mine and that is exactly where it's showing signs of wear, not a hole just a bit rough and scuffed looking - is that a bad thing?

means too much friction/movement of the butt end, common with 'flippers' of the ball..........like me:eek:

I saw a vid of Quiros who said his glove never has any wear holes ever

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
means too much friction/movement of the butt end, common with 'flippers' of the ball..........like me:eek:

I saw a vid of Quiros who said his glove never has any wear holes ever

I to ohave a wear mark there. Caused by gripping the club too hard.

Yes I'm trying to fix it.

Just imagine the damage it would have done to my hand if I wasn't wearing a glove :mad: