Iron advice.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning all,

I'm thinking of getting some irons in the next couple of months , I'm not going to buy brand new , I will be looking at going down the 2nd hand route . Any advise on models to look out for .

Handicap is anywhere from 20-22.

Thanks

Midnight.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love my Callaway Rogue ST Max. Rocket-launchers and super-forgiving. I'm a fan of Callaway irons in general, I used their Steelhead XRs before that.

Springveldt

Visit site
Usual suspects, game improvement irons from Ping will likely be the most popular answer.

If going second hand I'd heartily recommend Callaway Preowned if you like the look of any of their irons.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Most common answer on here is Ping G models which are great game improvement irons and easy to hit. There's a whole range of models dependent on budget....have a look on eBay, Goldbidder or Golfclubs4cash.

First proper irons I bought years ago were Ping G20 and they were great.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The newest Ping G series you can afford is the default answer. Very forgiving irons.

If you struggle to get loft on your irons, have a look at the Cleveland Halo / Launcher XL irons. A cross between irons and hybrids. A mate has got them, h/c 24, it has improved his game massively. I've had a few goes and never hit a bad shot yet with them.

Might be worth looking at the Callaway pre-owned site if you are going to look at them. Catch them right and it can be an amazing site.

edit. a few have beaten me to some of the answers 😄 . There is a reason we same the same things though........

Burnsey

Visit site
Suppose it can depend how you are with irons - could be fabulous but crap off the tee/putting etc, but I tried a set of Wilson Dynapower forged (same handicap) and thought they were fabulous and relatively cheap, even new.

HPIMG

Visit site
I recently helped my father in law get irons got him mizuno can’t remember the exact model but they were around £180 for pw-5 on eBay.
The ping G stuff I wouldn’t get clubs like that if you have any interesting in getting good at golf there like sledgehammers and they feel horrible to hit. I started out with ping g stuff and honestly wish someone had just told me to get newer model blades that have a little forgiveness.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In 2008 I bought brand new Ping G10 3 and 4 irons, Ping i10 5-PW.

In 2010 I won my club's scratch knockout and in 2019 I won the 36-hole scratch club championship with them. In 2023 I was runner-up in the club championship.
I'm still using them this year - along with other sets from time-to-time.

I would say that the Ping G10 and i10 are good clubs, if you get the right ones for you.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In 2008 I bought brand new Ping G10 3 and 4 irons, Ping i10 5-PW.

In 2010 I won my club's scratch knockout and in 2019 I won the 36-hole scratch club championship with them. In 2023 I was runner-up in the club championship.
I'm still using them this year - along with other sets from time-to-time.

I would say that the Ping G10 and i10 are good clubs, if you get the right one's for you.
I know he said he was going second-hand but surely he'd want clubs a bit newer than 15 years old?? Unless he's currently using irons that are 25 years old. :LOL:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I know he said he was going second-hand but surely he'd want clubs a bit newer than 15 years old?? Unless he's currently using irons that are 25 years old. :LOL:
How can we tell unless he informs us?

15-years-old are my newest clubs. Won lowest gross prize on Captain's Day this year with 40-year-old Ping Eye2 irons 3-PW. SD = 1.0 and the lowest in my last 20 scores.

Good irons are good irons whatever age they might be.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mizuno 923 hot metal worth a look. Will be discounted as being replaced by the 925

Seconded, got mine about a year ago and night and day ahead of game improvement irons I used to have, but really easy to hit with off centre hits still going in right direction (& handicap dropped this year to lowest ever by some margin)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
How much do you want to spend?

Are you just messing around, or are you on an adventure?

If you are on an adventure, take a set of adventurous clubs on the ride with you.

How about some Wilson Staff V6, or if you have the money the new Staff CB. Srixon ZX 7s can be had for a steal, lovely clubs.

A real ride? Then some Mizuno MP20 or Pro 221s blades would be nice for the journey. The Wilson Staff blade is a beauty, and forgiving too.

Go on, you know you want to.