Invitation Day - who pays?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s our annual invitation day in a few weeks time. My regular PP has booked a slot for me and him, and has invited a mutual acquaintance and another guy I’ve never met.

What’s the normal protocol? Do the 2 members pay for the 2 guests or do the guests normally pay for themselves? I’m happy either way, just don’t want to get the etiquette wrong.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per the previous replies. I've just played one last Saturday, my fee was played by the host. I've done the same when inviting people to my course.

Drinks afterwards are more open. In the case of Saturday, I paid for the first, and only, round. I've had a round for free, seems only fair to buy the guy a drink 😄

Swango1980

Visit site
We had ours last Sunday. No idea the protocol, I guess people can do whatever they wish. But, I paid for my guest, paid for the 2's and bought him a drink after. It just felt like the right thing to do when inviting someone to play an official Invitational event.

Glad I put the money in for the 2's, as he ended up getting two 2's.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It’s our annual invitation day in a few weeks time. My regular PP has booked a slot for me and him, and has invited a mutual acquaintance and another guy I’ve never met.

What’s the normal protocol? Do the 2 members pay for the 2 guests or do the guests normally pay for themselves? I’m happy either way, just don’t want to get the etiquette wrong.
I’d ask you PP what he expects, if he asked you if you were inviting someone and you said No, then I’d say they are both his guests and he should pay.

An invited guest is normally looked after, but, imo, your pp is being a bit cheeky if he expects you to pay for a stranger.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've only ever been the guest at an Invitation Day. I've always offered (quite insistently) to pay my own entry. I'm getting a round of golf with my friends, and a nice meal at their course for a very, very reasonable price. Sometimes, I've paid. Sometimes my host has paid. Sometimes we've split the cost.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We always pay for our guests although in your case it’s someone your regular pp invited, I would have preferred to invite someone I knew and could vouch for.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
A mate of mine invited me to there Invitation Day, and completely covered everything - entry, drinks, halfway house. I'll reciprocate when he comes to our place in August.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’d ask you PP what he expects, if he asked you if you were inviting someone and you said No, then I’d say they are both his guests and he should pay.

An invited guest is normally looked after, but, imo, your pp is being a bit cheeky if he expects you to pay for a stranger.
I’ll pay for the mutual acquaintance, he can pay for the stranger.