Internal out of bounds

dgparry

Club Champion
Visit site
We know OOB posts cannot be moved, but what about internal ones. OOB on one hole but not on the adjacent hole, ball comes to rest against an OOB post on the hole OOB doesn't appertain to. Do you take full relief or move the post?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This should be a local rule more than anything I would say.

I would hazard a guess that it is an immovable object and full relief must be taken

winty57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless it is a local rule you may not move the post, can take relief under penalty, very harsh but the club should be aware of these instances and choose to make a local rule or ignore it. Not many people know this rule/situation.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have this configuration and you can remove the post on the hole where the OOB does not apply.

To help the posts are painted white facing the OOB hole and green on the other.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easiest way to remember is consider oob stakes as trees. No matter where they are they cannot be removed without a local rule.

Last years club champs i warned a guy not to remove one. He did and it cost him second place

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have this configuration and you can remove the post on the hole where the OOB does not apply.

To help the posts are painted white facing the OOB hole and green on the other.

Hmmm. That's not the way it should be done.

As per Colin's, the club can make a local rule to give relief, but it should be a free drop from an immovable obstruction rather than letting someone move the post.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Martin I recall that EasterMoffat has immovable internal OOBs markers between 2 holes , is it NPR plus a club length ?.

Missed this post, yes it has but on one of the holes they wouldnt or should I say shouldnt be in play given where the are but you can move these posts so I would say you require a drop just move the post

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Missed this post, yes it has but on one of the holes they wouldnt or should I say shouldnt be in play given where the are but you can move these posts so I would say you require a drop just move the post

A few years ago playing in your seniors a FC was told he wasn't allowed to move the markers , by members playing down the other hole.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A few years ago playing in your seniors a FC was told he wasn't allowed to move the markers , by members playing down the other hole.

You can't move them if you are playing the 10th (up the hill) where they mark the internal OOB as you can't move an OOB marker. I believe on the 9th where they have no relevence on that hole you can move them (maybe a rules guru can confirm?). That said, they shouldn't interfere with any shot on the 9th, if they do you get what you deserve for knobbing it off the tee ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can't move them if you are playing the 10th (up the hill) where they mark the internal OOB as you can't move an OOB marker. I believe on the 9th where they have no relevence on that hole you can move them (maybe a rules guru can confirm?). That said, they shouldn't interfere with any shot on the 9th, if they do you get what you deserve for knobbing it off the tee ;)

That the same with the OOB stakes between our 3rd and 4th we can get relief only when playing the 3rd. BTW he was playing the 10th and he was a knob :smirk:

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Internal OOB markers should never be removed, even if playing the hole where they aren't marking the OOB. If you move them then you may be at risk of changing the dimension of the OOB area for the hole where the markers are relevant.

as has been said they should be classed as immovable obstructions in the local rules