Internal Safety fences

dazlight

Club Champion
www.eclipseflooring.co.uk
Not sure on the rules for this one so wondering if anyone can help. On our 9 hole course there is 2 internal protection fences. I know you get free relief from them if it affects your swing. But what about line of sight? My mate before had the fence in his line of sight between him and the green. So he took a free drop on the other side so he could go for the green. Is that correct ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure on the rules for this one so wondering if anyone can help. On our 9 hole course there is 2 internal protection fences. I know you get free relief from them if it affects your swing. But what about line of sight? My mate before had the fence in his line of sight between him and the green. So he took a free drop on the other side so he could go for the green. Is that correct ?
There's no relief for intervention on the line of play unless there is a local rule permitting it - which is permissible. See Model Local Rule E-6

Steven Rules

Visit site
Exactly as Colin has said.

But just to let you know the specific Rule that says free line of play relief is not allowed from the fence (an abnormal course condition) in this situation:

16.1a
When Relief Is Allowed

(1) Meaning of Interference by Abnormal Course Condition. Interference exists when any one of these is true:
*The player’s ball touches or is in or on an abnormal course condition,
*An abnormal course condition physically interferes with the player’s area of intended stance or area of intended swing, or
*Only when the ball is on the putting green, an abnormal course condition on or off the putting green intervenes on the line of play.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely it would be the same as overhead cables, replay if you hit them?
That is a different and specific Local Rule.

However, many years ago we were given permission by the R&A to make a line of site LR from a safety fence to protect members of the public crossing the course on a public right of way. We provided a DZ for those wishing to take relief.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is a different and specific Local Rule.

However, many years ago we were given permission by the R&A to make a line of site LR from a safety fence to protect members of the public crossing the course on a public right of way. We provided a DZ for those wishing to take relief.
I guess that's the one at Wetherby's 1st, Sir!! :D

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I should have made it clear that MLR E-6 was not available at the time but the R&A accepted that it was a good H&S concept and approved it after some discussions.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In what way is 3 not allowable?
See the clarification to Ground Under Repair in the Definitions which tells us that a rut made by a tractor is not GUR by default. The Committee is allowed to define deep ruts as GUR but "tractor marks" could mean just flattened grass or a shallow indentation not necessarily a deep rut.
See Clarification

Last edited:

berniethebolt

Visit site
See the clarification to Ground Under Repair in the Definitions which tells us that a rut made by a tractor is not GUR by default. The Committee is allowed to define deep ruts as GUR but "tractor marks" could mean just flattened grass or a shallow indentation not necessarily a deep rut.
See Clarification
Thank you. I suppose the definition as to what makes a rut "deep" is a matter of opinion!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you. I suppose the definition as to what makes a rut "deep" is a matter of opinion!
Not if you take the trouble to define it in the local rule. For example:

A rut is considered deep if a ball is lying in it and your clubhead is prevented from connecting with it or following through by the edge of the rut or, if you have to stand in it, you cannot take a balanced stance. You do not get relief from wheel marks that are just minor irregularites on the surface of the ground even if it is muddy.