Immovable obstruction around greens - optional replay of shot

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just played in a match at a course where animals such as sheep and ponies roam.
All of the greens are surrounded by ropes held up by stakes to try and keep the animals off the greens.
These stakes & ropes (which the club calls "fences/stakes", even though they are stakes and ropes) are defined as immovable obstructions.
So far so good.

However, in their local rules there's this clause:
"If a ball strikes the fence/tapes of the hole being played the player may [my emphasis] replay the stroke".
The members confirmed that replaying the shot is indeed optional.

I know that the local rule about hitting power lines requires that the shot must be replayed - presumably there's some principle that you shouldn't be allowed to decide whether to be lucky.

I'd have thought the same should also apply to the ropes around a green, and wanted to ask whether this local rule is acceptable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to Rulie

Not an allowable Local Rule

The power lines LR is specifically allowable under R&A rules but be aware it is optional so clubs do not have to use it and read the LRs where you are playing.

NearHull

Visit site
Beverley Golf Club is on common land where cows roam freely.
‘If a ball strikes any part of a protective fence around the green of the hole being played, the player may choose to disregard that stroke, either abandon the ball or retrieve it and play a ball at the reference point and the 1 club length relief area from which the original ball was played. ′.
The post or wires around the green are treated as immovable objects and therefore relief can be taken in accordance with Rule 4b

‘For a ball lying outside the wire for the putting green on the hole being played, relief will always be outside the wire, and for a ball lying inside the wire relief, will often be outside the wire.’

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Beverley Golf Club is on common land where cows roam freely.

The post or wires around the green are treated as immovable objects and therefore relief can be taken in accordance with Rule 4b

Rule 4 deals with equipment there is no 4b

I would strongly suspect that this rule has been around for absolutely years with out checking allowable LRs

E.G. When I first started playing at my club in 1986 the LR for power cables allowed for replaying the shot or not at the option of the player but this was changed to must be replayed when we were informed our LR was not in accordance with the allowable LRs

NearHull

Visit site
Rule 4 deals with equipment there is no 4b

I would strongly suspect that this rule has been around for absolutely years with out checking allowable LRs

E.G. When I first started playing at my club in 1986 the LR for power cables allowed for replaying the shot or not at the option of the player but this was changed to must be replayed when we were informed our LR was not in accordance with the allowable LRs
Interesting. The text is on their website.

Goldcoin

Visit site
Free relief is allowed for interference by an abnormal course condition (ACC), including an immovable obstruction, when the ball touches or lies in or on the condition (B1), or the condition interferes with the area of intended stance (B2) or swing.

watch stories
cc generator

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My source at the club tells me the LR has been approved by the R&A (via EG and the County)
Not sure exactly what you mean.
Is "the club" your own club, and does this mean that your source has confirmed that the R&A has approved such a local rule for use by any club?
Or are you referring to the club I'm talking about? If so, how do you know which club it is, because I haven't revealed it! (FYI, it's Tavistock)

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I would also like to see the wording of the authorized Local Rule. It seems surprising that the R&A would authorize a Local Rule which gives a player a choice to replay or not replay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Much like Rulie I would be surprised to see an approved rule that gives the players a choice.
As already said in post #5 when we had this for the power cables (back in the 1980s) we had to change it to 'must be replayed'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you mean.
Is "the club" your own club, and does this mean that your source has confirmed that the R&A has approved such a local rule for use by any club?
Or are you referring to the club I'm talking about? If so, how do you know which club it is, because I haven't revealed it! (FYI, it's Tavistock)
Sorry.
I was commenting on NearHull's reference to Beverley.

I was also surprised when I first saw it when refereeing there some years ago. As my contact there was also qualified I assumed he he was correct.