Internal OOB - from another fairway

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have an internal OOB on the RH side of the 9th fairway to prevent, quite rightly, players trying to cut the dog leg by playing over the trees onto the 8th fairway. There is no issue with this and I don't want to get into another long debate about the rights and wrongs of internal OOB :cool:
However, on Saturday, one of my playing partners hit a wild tee shot on the 12th which runs back alongside the 9th. The shot was so bad it bounced across the 9th fairway towards the OOB. We had a look for the ball and there was no sign so must have gone into the undergrowth. As it wasn't a shot hole (and he wasn't threatening the leaderboard) he just blobbed the hole and carried on but it got us talking about whetehr the OOB still counted as we were playing a different hole? We suspect it did as OOB is OOB but we weren't sure.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for some clarification?
Cheers

salfordlad

Visit site
The Model Local Rule commences "During play of [specify hole number],.....

That is, it only applies when you play the named specific hole, if you are playing any other hole, it has no relevance.

It would be possible for a Committee to name more than one hole, but the point is it is only what is named in the local rule (so check it) and, IMO, it would be extremely uncommon (I've never seen it) for an internal OOB to cover more than one hole.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Many thanks, just checked the back of the scorecard (should have looked first :rolleyes:) and it states that is is only OOB when playing the 9th hole so he would have been ok if he had found his ball and it was playable - very unlikely though!