Unmarked OOB

DickInShorts

Visit site
Played one of my old clubs and they’ve discarded the white posts (which were showing as green when playing the adjacent hole) which marked OOB to right of the 5th to stop you (dangerously) playing down the 12th.
There is a sign which says the 12th fairway is OOB but it would be possible - although unlikely - that your ball could run across the 12th into the rough and therefore technically be in play beyond the 12th fairway!

Real question I wondered was if you can have unmarked OOB?

I also thought internal OOB was strongly objected to by the ruling bodies?

I’m sure michaeljohnchapman will be able to explain all

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
OOB must be identifiable either by physical marking or by definition on a notice/scorecard. (eg Beyond the tarmac path to the right of the 14th hole)
Internal OOB is not objected to by the RBs. It is often a necessity. The Rules make specific provision for them.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played one of my old clubs and they’ve discarded the white posts (which were showing as green when playing the adjacent hole) which marked OOB to right of the 5th to stop you (dangerously) playing down the 12th.
There is a sign which says the 12th fairway is OOB but it would be possible - although unlikely - that your ball could run across the 12th into the rough and therefore technically be in play beyond the 12th fairway!

I'd agree that "the 12th fairway" is too imprecise to be used as a descriptor of OOB. To add to your example, what if your ball ended up on the 12th green? You really need words like on, beyond, over, between and a feature whether natural or something like stakes which provides a clear demarcation between one part of the course and another.

salfordlad

Visit site
A Committee's prime responsibility is to mark the course accurately and words alone can do the job if they are clear and accurate. Without clear marking, there is no hope of the players consistently applying the rules to their play.

Swango1980

Visit site

As rulefan said, internal out of bounds is often necessary. At my last course, we had a dog leg par 4 that was about 440 yards. If there was no internal out of bounds, players could easily just play down the left of the hole, which would not only shorten it significantly, but also bring in less danger from rough and trees. However, this would also place people playing the adjacent 8th hole, and people on the 7th green in significant danger, as you'd effectively be driving your ball to land on their holes.

But, also as pointed out, the Committee should make it clear where the out of bounds is.