Persistence of a marked OOB Line

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We recently hosted a Clutch Golf: Pro Tour event. Close behind our 2nd green is a course boundary hedge. Immediately by and to the left of the hedge is an out of bounds post defining OOB down the left side of the hole and close by LHS of green.

The event organisers decided to be more explicit about the status of the hedge and had us paint a white line on the ground from the OOB marker along the course side of the hedge…explicitly placing all of the hedge out of bounds. As this was a few weeks ago much of the white line has gone…but it is still there in parts. Does this mean the hedge remains out of bounds or does it revert to a boundary hedge…from which play is allowed if it is possible and consistent with rules of boundary hedges.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We recently hosted a Clutch Golf: Pro Tour event. Close behind our 2nd green is a course boundary hedge. Immediately by and to the left of the hedge is an out of bounds post defining OOB down the left side of the hole and close by LHS of green.

The event organisers decided to be more explicit about the status of the hedge and had us paint a white line on the ground from the OOB marker along the course side of the hedge…explicitly placing all of the hedge out of bounds. As this was a few weeks ago much of the white line has gone…but it is still there in parts. Does this mean the hedge remains out of bounds or does it revert to a boundary hedge…from which play is allowed if it is possible and consistent with rules of boundary hedges.
How does your club define/identify ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How does your club define/identify ?
The Local Rules were not updated for members…so I assume back to as normal. The LR on the card for Out of Bounds is…

All land beyond any white stakes, fences, hedges and banks bounding the course.

The white line that was painted was painted along the inner edge of the hedge from an OOB white post. Does the white line become associated with the white post and so becomes an extension of the OOB being defined by it.

salfordlad

Visit site
So you have the classic Committee screw up - written LR and markings on the ground inconsistent. The Rules don't answer your question "which is the right one?". The Committee needs to cover the white markings if they wish to revert to what is on the LR sheet.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Local Rules were not updated for members…so I assume back to as normal. The LR on the card for Out of Bounds is…

All land beyond any white stakes, fences, hedges and banks bounding the course.

The white line that was painted was painted along the inner edge of the hedge from an OOB white post. Does the white line become associated with the white post and so becomes an extension of the OOB being defined by it.
Do your Local Rules mention white lines anywhere else or at all?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today and a PP hit his ball towards a woods/ fence on the rhs. We noticed there was a white post there. Just the one. His ball was probably 6” OOB, well it would have been if there was another post to mark the line from post to post. As there was just the one we told him to play it where it lay. We had never seen this one post before today 😳 why would there just be the one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do they define the OB as being the hedge on that hole specifically?
No - it is may be 40yds long and separates the course from the greenkeepers complex. At one end of it is a white OOB post, at the other end is the gate from course to complex, but no white post.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
No - it is may be 40yds long and separates the course from the greenkeepers complex. At one end of it is a white OOB post, at the other end is the gate from course to complex, but no white post.
It sounds a bit hap-hazard. However, from the description, the white line painted for one event has no meaning after that event is over (imo).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds a bit hap-hazard. However, from the description, the white line painted for one event has no meaning after that event is over (imo).
The single white post is there as the final post in a line of white posts defining the OOB down the left side approach to the green. For the event the white line was taken from that post. I am sure you are right but I was just checking to see if there was anything to be aware of.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today and a PP hit his ball towards a woods/ fence on the rhs. We noticed there was a white post there. Just the one. His ball was probably 6” OOB, well it would have been if there was another post to mark the line from post to post. As there was just the one we told him to play it where it lay. We had never seen this one post before today 😳 why would there just be the one.
Could be anything.
marking a site where there’s a leaking water pipe For future work.
marking a tree to be planted etc.
But using a white post would be confusing to players

If they were going to put oob there they would surely have to inform the membership first.
Ask one of the GKs they are nice guys if you ask properly. ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Could be anything.
marking a site where there’s a leaking water pipe For future work.
marking a tree to be planted etc.
But using a white post would be confusing to players

If they were going to put oob there they would surely have to inform the membership first.
Ask one of the GKs they are nice guys if you ask properly. ;)
But be aware that sometimes GKs will mark OOB in or beside woodland by a combination of white posts and white marks on tree…something that is prevalent at my place and that I only fairly recently understood (I asked the question…why just one white post 👍)