Intermediate membership

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive just been looking ahead to membership for next year and have been checking local golf club websites and a number seem to be offering intermediate membership. The club im at now does not offer this option. Im happy with the club that im at now and have made numerous friends but the chance for me to save £500 a year for maybe one or two years is something i have to seriously consider at this time in my life/working career.

I will be playing slightly less at my home club next year (wherever it may be) due to doing a bit of studying anyway.

I have seen the intermediate offer at one club that i think is a superb course with much better practice facilities and im thinking i could always go back to my current course anyway if the new place turns out to be horrid.

Any of you wise people on here got any thoughts on intermediate membership and if it you think its worth me joining a new club and starting again so to speak?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the end of the day 500 notes is a big saving and not a saving to pass by. If the course and facilities are superb and you'll be playing less sounds a no brainer, to me!

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm on intermediate membership at the moment and couldn't be a member of a club otherwise. I personally think its a great way of ensuring juniors paying £400 or so at the age of 17 don't have to pay £1800 when they turn 18.

If you like your current club, you can always go back in a couple of years having saved quite a few quid at a time when you're going to need it.

That said, there's a few people on here who I know disagree and so rather than take it down that line I'm gonna say it's something you should at least think carefully about and step away from the thread slowly ...

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lee park have introduced a "lifestyles" membership this year. £299 for 20 rounds, you can go in the comps, and get an official handicap. You can also top it up also, don't know how much and what it gets you though.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which other club are you looking at Birchy?

Well theres a few but my number one choice is Manchester golf club, a mate told me they did a decent deal for intermediate but theres no specific age bracket on the website so ive dropped them an email. I played it the other week with a mate for the first time and i thought the course was superb.

Bolton golf club do decent categories too but theres a £300 joining fee. They do a few different intermediate brackets up to 35 years.

North Manchester golf club do up to 30 years for a decent price too.

Just scouting the market at the moment but if i can get in Manchester for the right price i would deffo go there.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm on intermediate membership at the moment and couldn't be a member of a club otherwise. I personally think its a great way of ensuring juniors paying £400 or so at the age of 17 don't have to pay £1800 when they turn 18.

If you like your current club, you can always go back in a couple of years having saved quite a few quid at a time when you're going to need it.

That said, there's a few people on here who I know disagree and so rather than take it down that line I'm gonna say it's something you should at least think carefully about and step away from the thread slowly ...

Theres been talk of our club trying to get something like this going but all the old boys are kicking off so looking unlikely.

People at the club always ask me why theres not many people my age members and its all down to money. All my mates ive grown up with have houses and some have kids etc but are also still working the way up the working ladder etc so theres no way theyve got a thousand quid to spend on something like golf membership.

The way i see it is if some forward thinking club has the forsight to grab my attention with a good deal now while i need it they may capture a member for life when in the future ive got more time and money on my hands etc.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well theres a few but my number one choice is Manchester golf club, a mate told me they did a decent deal for intermediate but theres no specific age bracket on the website so ive dropped them an email. I played it the other week with a mate for the first time and i thought the course was superb.

Bolton golf club do decent categories too but theres a £300 joining fee. They do a few different intermediate brackets up to 35 years.

North Manchester golf club do up to 30 years for a decent price too.

Just scouting the market at the moment but if i can get in Manchester for the right price i would deffo go there.

If I lived close enough to make it work I'd join Manchester, I love the set up there and as you say the course is superb, Personally I think it's the best inland course in Lancashire/Manchester, I'd be straight in there mate!

Bolton is also a cracking course,The full joining fee was £900 a few years ago,not sure if this is still the case. What's the full joining fee at Manchester?I'm sure that's still about £1000.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I lived close enough to make it work I'd join Manchester, I love the set up there and as you say the course is superb, Personally I think it's the best inland course in Lancashire/Manchester, I'd be straight in there mate!

Bolton is also a cracking course,The full joining fee was £900 a few years ago,not sure if this is still the case. What's the full joining fee at Manchester?I'm sure that's still about £1000.

On the website for manchester its its a full years fees but thats just for the full membership category. On the grid of prices for membership though it says joining fee currently N/A so clear as mud.

It states no joining fee for other membership types though.

Ive emailed them to see what the crack is :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Worsley are doing an off peak membership for £100 + £15 green fee. Get's you into midweek and Sunday comps.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lee park have introduced a "lifestyles" membership this year. £299 for 20 rounds, you can go in the comps, and get an official handicap. You can also top it up also, don't know how much and what it gets you though.

Club near me does a twilight membership for £220, you can play 7 days a week after 4pm. Perfect for me as I'll never be able to play during the day anyway.
Probably gonna go for it myself next year, shame other local clubs don't do the same as I'm sure membership numbers would be up if they did.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you played Bolton Yet Scott?

No mate not played it yet but only heard good things. Will be listing all my options and having a knock before I decide though.

Worsley are doing an off peak membership for £100 + £15 green fee. Get's you into midweek and Sunday comps.

That sounds ok too, will look into that. I play a lot a other courses & opens etc so that may be very worthwhile too. Cheers for the heads up Hobbit :thup:

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Birchy give Bolton old links a ring they do a range of prices for guys age between 18 and 29 years old, full seven day is £830 would be worth a ring Tel 01204 842307

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Birchy give Bolton old links a ring they do a range of prices for guys age between 18 and 29 years old, full seven day is £830 would be worth a ring Tel 01204 842307

Yeah ive got BOL on my list mate, cheers. :thup:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scott, Ive noticed Bolton are doing a twilight offer... £24 after 3pm. Think I'll give it a go myself one evening. Let me know if You fancy it :thup: