interlocking or overlapping?

B

birdieman

Having a grip dilemma. Was taught and always used an overlapping grip. However over the winter have been trying an interlocking grip (on the basis of if it's good enough for Tiger and Jack etc etc). I've now become so used to the interlocking that I prefer it and want to keep doing this. On looking at websites and Nick Bradleys book however, they tend to recommend the overlapping and say the interlocking is for people with small hands and weak forearms - does this include Tiger??, and also say it reduces wrist hinging etc. I am confused, am I going to play worse using my new interlocking grip, my practice sessions suggest otherwise! Also how would you know if you have small hands or not - i've tried the Ping website which has a grip selector page but I come out about average on that. Help please!

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Thinking logically an interlocking grip would appear to be more secure over the overlapping grip but I think it would also be restrictive in terms of movement; this can be an advantage in that I guess the overlapping will allow excess/unwanted movement. I know I started off with the interlocking "Vardon" grip, but given that I used to grip so hard as many did when they started, I began getting injuries with my fingers and went to the overlapping grip instead. In answer to your question Birdieman, if you can swing freely and unhindered with the Vardon grip then I think this is likely to be the most advantageous over the two.

B

birdieman

thanks for that, slightly confused with a couple of posts - Vardon and overlapping are one and the same aren't they? Interlocking doesn't have another name.
See how I go this year with the interlocking. I agree with swingstar1, for me the right hand comes away too easily with the overlap grip. Since I discovered the right hand could hold the club better with an interlocking my club release seems a lot more effective creating more clubhead speed so I'm hitting it further.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
From the first time I picked up a club, nobody taught me I used interlocking it just felt right and thats all I've used for the last 14 months.