Baseball grip vs interlocking

G1z1

Visit site
I have always just used a interlocking grip, any pro thats had a look at my grip just always said this is how you grip the club. I have noticed two problems I have with this grip, first is for the past few months my right pinky is getting sore. I am guessing I must be pressing down too hard with my grip and second is my right hand really struggles to stay nuteral and turns round into a strong grip.
So yesterday on my sim I had a mess around with the baseball grip, it did feel a bit different but noticed with my PW and 9 iron I wasn’t losing any distance.
I went out of the course today and decided to play baseball grip only just to see what I would score and I broke 80 for the first time, couldn’t believe it I was 7 over going into the 18th lost a ball but still got 79. Plus I feel as if i didn’t play amazing but my drivers were almost laxer straight , I usually struggle with a slice.
Has anyone else switched to a baseball grip, how did you find it ? And why is the interlocking grip stuggested as the go to grip ?421D4E63-78DE-4EA4-B405-6EAB7529C26A.jpeg

Last edited:

AAC

Visit site
I switched to a b/ball grip about 18 months ago, mainly as I have arthritis in my right hand and wrist and it is more comfortable (less painful) for me, I don't think it has had a negative effect on my game, although I suppose I could use that as the reason my game is now pants

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've always used a baseball grip, I think because when I used to casually play when I was younger I used to have quite a calcified little finger from breaking it a few times at rugby and cricket which made the interlock uncomfortable.

I asked my pro last year what I would gain from changing it and he said not to bother.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use inter lock, but will go to baseball if my finger is hurting.
But to keep the grip compact you overlap as well… but I think it’s more about keeping your wrist and forearm muscle loose and no tension. If you squeeze the grip because it feels too free then these muscles tense up and a world of random and short shots result

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never liked interlocking when I tried it. I have skinny, bony fingers, and it feels like my right pinky is being yanked out of its socket. I've always used a kind of reverse-overlap grip where my right hand is completely on the grip and my left forefinger sits on top of the right pinky. Never seen anyone else grip it this way but I've always done it for some reason. :LOL: So I guess it's halfway between a baseball grip and an overlap grip.

Boomy

Visit site
Switched to baseball grip when I started back playing last year - never looked back. Much more comfortable, and it appeared to gain me a few extra yards as a result. It took a bit of adjusting to around the green for chips/bump & runs but I soon adjusted. One size does not fit all, do what works for you ??

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m vardon and always have been. But a few years back I had a terrible pain in my right hand wedding ring finger (turned out to be gout), and I had a golf weekend away imminent, so I read up on the baseball grip and decided to give it a go. I won longest drive. I’ve never come close before or since. The most beautifully straight, penetrating drive I’ve ever hit.

I stuck with it for a few rounds but snap hooks started to creep in, (which is apparently a common thing amongst baseball grippers) and so ended up binning it off. Every now and again I’ll try it with driver, and it always feel great, very powerful.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m Vardon grip and have been for 30+ years. I have tried the interlocking grip but it makes my interlocked fingers hurt and does not feel comfortable. However, I use a baseball grip when putting. Being right handed and having the whole of my right hand on the grip when putting gives me better distance control, specially for long putts.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also changed to baseball from interlocking as right pinky is very arthritic and swollen around the middle joint - can only be caused by golf as left one is fine!

Overall, being pain-free, is a huge advantage. Downside is I tend to get the right hand a bit strong and find the left side of the course too much!

D

Deleted member 3432

I've played with a baseball grip since I learned the game as a junior.

Never had a pro who has advised changing, sometimes the odd piece of advice if I'm getting a touch weak or strong with hand position.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I was interlock from the beginning but pro advised baseball to help with some swing path issue of some sort, think it was to close the face more.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
No such thing as the perfect golf grip, but the Vardon interlocking grip has arguably been the most successful.
Used by over 95% of winning players.
If you can hit it straight enough the stronger baseball grip should send the ball higher and further.
The harder you hit the ball the higher it goes, which is within the laws of physics.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spiral fractured my finger and tore the tendon in my wrist about 10 years ago rappelling. Played golf and found the interlock and vardon grip were uncomfortable so have used the baseball grip.

Mandofred

Visit site
Always played with overlap grip until about 6 years ago. Bit of arthritis in the end knuckle of the index finger of my left hand made me change to interlock....no problem. Arthritis eventually got better, but just stayed with interlock. A year or two ago I just switched to the 10 finger (not baseball grip, batters don't put thumbs down the side of the bat) because it felt more secure in my hand. Occasionally get a little too strong, but not really an issue. I've since switched to mid size grips as well, even with small hands.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Use Vardon…or as what Hogan’s book told me. But we should use whatever feels and suits best…one lad at my place uses ‘reverse baseball‘ and hits the ball a country mile. That said he does tend to spray it about.