Baseball grip vs interlocking

PeaSea

Visit site
Also changed to baseball from interlocking as right pinky is very arthritic and swollen around the middle joint - can only be caused by golf as left one is fine!

Overall, being pain-free, is a huge advantage. Downside is I tend to get the right hand a bit strong and find the left side of the course too much!
I’ve always had the baseball grip it’s never given me any problem apart from the occasional shank !!

Mandofred

Visit site
Years with the standard overlap grip. Little bit of arthritis in a knuckle switched me to interlock.....no problem. Since tried 10 finger (not the same as a baseball grip)....prefer the 10 finger. More skin on the grip. Just like flag in or out....if you feel more comfortable, it's the right choice.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Years with the standard overlap grip. Little bit of arthritis in a knuckle switched me to interlock.....no problem. Since tried 10 finger (not the same as a baseball grip)....prefer the 10 finger. More skin on the grip. Just like flag in or out....if you feel more comfortable, it's the right choice.
Thought 10 finger and baseball were same thing?

RichA

Visit site
I'll sometimes use a baseball grip to smash the ball out of heavy rough but when I use it off a tee or fairway I turn into the tail end cricketer I used to be and bat it long and left over cow corner for 6.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
After reading this thread, I hit 4 drives in yesterday's social round with a baseball grip. Never used it before (have always used an overlap).
Hit those 4 OK, one went a little left but as my miss is generally right with the driver I think it has some mileage. Didn't feel uncomfortable but then I guess the difference between my normal grip and this is minimal really, just no overlap.

Can't say it felt more powerful, but it is something I might tinker with again in tomorrow's round.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I tried the Vardon grip when I first learnt to play, I soon switched to the interlocking grip as I found that I had more control with that grip.
I've never tried any other grip.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I think a baseball grip has the thumbs curled around the bat as if in a fist whereas the 10 finger grip has both thumbs on top of the shaft
Well there we go, every day's a school day.

Turns out I use a ten finger grip, not a baseball grip.

Springveldt

Visit site
I switched from the overlap to the interlock a few years ago as I noticed I hit my irons much better with it. The club just feels more stable in my hands with the interlock, kinda like my hands are closer to the grip for some reason. First few rounds I did have sore pinkies but I either got used to it or starter gripping it properly as I've not had any issues since.

Did experiment with the 10 finger grip as well, definitely feel like I can swing it faster but I was also sending it miles left far too much.