Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That useful idiot Tim Farron keeps saying that the LiebDems are the only UK Party fighting a hard Brexit.

WRONG
Nice but Tim, are you deluded, out of touch or both.

They are the only English Party fighting Brexit or a hard Brexit, unless you include the Greens who are a very small minority party. People have accused them of jumping on the Remain bandwagon, but the Lib-Dems have always been pro EU and are sticking to their guns (Unlike the Labour Party!), Agree that the SNP in Scotland are also anti Brexit.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are the only English Party fighting Brexit or a hard Brexit, unless you include the Greens who are a very small minority party. People have accused them of jumping on the Remain bandwagon, but the Lib-Dems have always been pro EU and are sticking to their guns (Unlike the Labour Party!), Agree that the SNP in Scotland are also anti Brexit.

The LibDems can't be trusted to stick to their word... Tuition fees should be all I need say... Don't pin your hopes on them...

And, Nick Clegg's reason for wishing to derail Art50 was because one person told him they voted exit in the hope it would impact on house prices so they might stand a better chance of affording one... Knob!

Oh, and I thought they were a nationwide party not just for the English...

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The LibDems can't be trusted to stick to their word... Tuition fees should be all I need say... Don't pin your hopes on them...

Is that really any different to any other party? Just look at what the Tories tried to do at last week's budget!

And, Nick Clegg's reason for wishing to derail Art50 was because one person told him they voted exit in the hope it would impact on house prices so they might stand a better chance of affording one... Knob!

Pretty sure that wasn't Clegg's primary reason.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that really any different to any other party? Just look at what the Tories tried to do at last week's budget!

The LibDems try and sell themselves as the party of the people... Yet, come up short every time when it matters...

Pretty sure that wasn't Clegg's primary reason.

Probably not, but it was the one he gave when asked by Marr...

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The LibDems try and sell themselves as the party of the people... Yet, come up short every time when it matters...

Probably not, but it was the one he gave when asked by Marr...
Apart from the tuition fees thing, which was probably forced on them by the Tories as the majority party, the Liberals or Lib-Dems have a pretty good record in coalition governments. They normally manage to oppose the more loony left-wing or right-wing ideas and keep them on an even track. Due to the sad demise of the Labour Party they could become an effective opposition to the Tories, or even form the next Government if Brexit goes really badly (as I expect it will)!

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from the tuition fees thing, which was probably forced on them by the Tories as the majority party, the Liberals or Lib-Dems have a pretty good record in coalition governments. They normally manage to oppose the more loony left-wing or right-wing ideas and keep them on an even track. Due to the sad demise of the Labour Party they could become an effective opposition to the Tories, or even form the next Government if Brexit goes really badly (as I expect it will)!

One slight problem being, amongst the next generation of voters will be the very people they dumped on [BIG TIME] with the tuition fees... And, blaming their failure, [to keep their word] on the bad boy tories won't really cut it...

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One slight problem being, amongst the next generation of voters will be the very people they dumped on [BIG TIME] with the tuition fees... And, blaming their failure, [to keep their word] on the bad boy tories won't really cut it...

When I went to Uni in the late 1960's probably less than 10% of the population did so, and so tuition and maintenance fees were reasonably affordable. Now that we send almost 50% of our young people to University, often to do useless degrees, and to keep them off the unemployment register for 3 years, they are not. However the joke is that graduates are now two-a-penny, so many of them will never earn enough to pay the loans back! 🙄

D

Deleted member 21258

The LibDems can't be trusted to stick to their word... Tuition fees should be all I need say..

I was always a libdems man, always thought they had values and spoken sense with a lot of their policies.

However I would never again after that, they sold their soul to have their few minutes of joint minority power.(btw I was not young at that time, but it was just plain wrong)

I don't really understand this whole Scottish/English/welsh etc thing. I have always viewed myself as British but never European tbh which is probably why, be a very sad day if Scotland ended up breaking away, very sad..

D

Deleted member 21258

When I went to Uni in the late 1960's probably less than 10% of the population did so, and so tuition and maintenance fees were reasonably affordable. Now that we send almost 50% of our young people to University, often to do useless degrees, and to keep them off the unemployment register for 3 years, they are not. However the joke is that graduates are now two-a-penny, so many of them will never earn enough to pay the loans back! 

Do you realise how bad that reads ?

I had a 'free' degree as well, and feel embarrassed to say that. :eek:

I suppose now you are older that you also expect a brilliant NHS and public services and high state pension but the youngers can retire later than you and have worse than you had. Whoops off I go to put my dummy back in:eek:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I suppose now you are older that you also expect a brilliant NHS and public services and high state pension but the youngers can retire later than you and have worse than you had. Whoops off I go to put my dummy back in:eek:

I do feel very bad for young people today, because both the two major political parties have run the country down to an almost third world status , and made things pretty difficult for them. However older folk are also suffering from cutbacks in the NHS and Social Care, after a lifetime of paying taxes and National Insurance to pay for them (in theory).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Lib dems drew a line in the sand and then happily jumped over it. They paid for that with virtual annihilation. It will take a very long time for that betrayal to be forgotten.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I worked from the age of 15 to 65....50 years total.
Graduates now start work at about 22-24 years old so, under my rules, they should be working until they are 72-74.
Youngster are not really retiring later if you retain the status quo.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a fun week last week was to have spent in Scotland :)

When BT supporting newspapers last time round - the Herald and the Scotsman (perhaps that should be even the Scotsman) - are expressing issues and concerns in respect of May's approach to dealing with wee Nicola's statement of intent of a week ago and her attitude towards Holyrood and the FM. Something is afoot.

D

Deleted member 21258

I do feel very bad for young people today, because both the two major political parties have run the country down to an almost third world status , and made things pretty difficult for them. However older folk are also suffering from cutbacks in the NHS and Social Care, after a lifetime of paying taxes and National Insurance to pay for them (in theory).

I think you are mistaken by your 'lifetime of paying taxes and National Insurance to pay for them', if you consider how much the country was and is now in debt, the real truth is that you have not paid in enough, as there is a massive country debt and even bigger unfunded future liabilities. Perhaps time to look at the complete picture rather than what you believe is the case.

D

Deleted member 21258

I worked from the age of 15 to 65....50 years total.
Graduates now start work at about 22-24 years old so, under my rules, they should be working until they are 72-74.
Youngster are not really retiring later if you retain the status quo.

Of course there are people who worked like you from 15 to 65, but not knowing you are what you done or if you work out of choice and so on. You have to look more generally as for everyone like that you have also to think of the people that were retired off early fifties, after working a relatively low stress 9-5 job, who had a low mortgage when compared to the 25 years term) job for their life. Maybe that was living in the south, but

Also in a lot of cases the wifes did not work(I say loosely, not wishing to upset housewife or even househusbands), unlike the youngests of today were both partners work full time.

And I can say looking at the people who I know around 70 and that's the ones that are alive, generally working full time would not be easy. Health is a wonderful thing and I would have thought you would understand that the difference between 60 to 65, is a world apart from the difference between 70 to 75..

Anyone I wish you the best, as I still work and have another 25 years to go.:mmm::rofl:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you know what a third world country looks like? I'll tell you what, it doesn't look like the UK. Also, if the country has been run down to third world levels then why are half a million + trying to get in every year, surely if that was correct they would be keeping away. You really are a bit dim at times.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course there are people who worked like you from 15 to 65, but not knowing you are what you done or if you work out of choice and so on. You have to look more generally as for everyone like that you have also to think of the people that were retired off early fifties, after working a relatively low stress 9-5 job, who had a low mortgage when compared to the 25 years term) job for their life. Maybe that was living in the south, but

Also in a lot of cases the wifes did not work(I say loosely, not wishing to upset housewife or even househusbands), unlike the youngests of today were both partners work full time.

And I can say looking at the people who I know around 70 and that's the ones that are alive, generally working full time would not be easy. Health is a wonderful thing and I would have thought you would understand that the difference between 60 to 65, is a world apart from the difference between 70 to 75..

Anyone I wish you the best, as I still work and have another 25 years to go.:mmm::rofl:
It was never easy. My wife stopped work for 17 years when we had a family but I needed to work 60/70 hours a week to keep the wolf from the door, seven day weeks were the norm. Please don't think it was an easy life back in the 60s/70s/80/s or buying a house easy. No one I knew went to University and it was unusual to own a car before your mid twenties and then it tended to be an old cronk. One thing that many young people can look forward to is inheriting a sizeable amount when the folks pass on, again something not many of my generation enjoyed. I dont want to sound like I accuse the young of having it easy but it never was.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Stress is not a new word, miners, farmers, shipbuilders etc suffered a lot.
Stress is having to support a family when you are unemployed like Yosser Hughes and there are 4 million unemployed in the UK
Low mortgage, Shhhhurely you must be joking.:eek: