• Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a Principality.
Prince of Wales is a clue.
You really are clueless. Back to you blog.

Wales was a principality, once upon a time. But that was in 1542. 472 years ago… 472 years.
Wales is a country. A nation. We have our own laws. We have a Government, a legislature.
But what, pray tell, is a "principality"?
The Oxford English Dictionary describes a principality as being: "The territory held or governed by a prince."
Now some may offer the Prince of Wales up as an answer to the issue at hand, but that would be wholly inappropriate, since Charles holds no constitutional responsibility over our homeland. His designation is granted by the Queen, and is an entirely traditional title.
No, Wales is a country (472 years-worth of country-dom, remember!).
In fact, in 2008 the Welsh Government issued a statement on this very issue:
"Wales is not a principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What is actually wrong with having another referendum? It is only about asking a nation a question. Timing? Not great.... but not great for who?

Crack on, let's do it.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
surely that's for them to decide

Why? All the polls recently have shown that less than 50% of those asked want another referendum. Why do the SNP get to go against the wishes of the majority. I could understand it if they were getting results showing that 60%+ were in favour of another referendum but that's just not the case.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hobbit, if the Scots want to have another referendum that is up to them. They end up paying for them so it is up them if that is where they want to spend their money. The issue on timing for me is that if Scotland goes for independence then clearly there needs to be some very complicated separation talks. Problem there being the UK experts in this will be dealing with the EU on that little separation. They can't be in two places at once. We need to finish that job before moving to the next one.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The question of how people in our office would vote came up last week. A mix of warehouse staff, office staff, technicians and management work there, with a third of them from elsewhere in Scotland.

17 to 00 in favour of staying in the U.K.

Although one one spoke of self determination, all voted no based on economics. Must admit I was surprised.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hobbit, if the Scots want to have another referendum that is up to them. They end up paying for them so it is up them if that is where they want to spend their money. The issue on timing for me is that if Scotland goes for independence then clearly there needs to be some very complicated separation talks. Problem there being the UK experts in this will be dealing with the EU on that little separation. They can't be in two places at once. We need to finish that job before moving to the next one.
No sensible posts please!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why? All the polls recently have shown that less than 50% of those asked want another referendum. Why do the SNP get to go against the wishes of the majority. I could understand it if they were getting results showing that 60%+ were in favour of another referendum but that's just not the case.

The SNP would rather wait until they polled in the 60's, probably 2/3 years.
Problem for Scotland is that if the wrong half the Tory party, UKIP and the other extreme right parties get their way, by then Scotland will probably be a post Brexit wasteland.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The SNP would rather wait until they polled in the 60's, probably 2/3 years.
Problem for Scotland is that if the wrong half the Tory party, UKIP and the other extreme right parties get their way, by then Scotland will probably be a post Brexit wasteland.
Luckily the extreme right don't tend to survive in the UK and I doubt if they will surface this time. Its the extreme left that Scotland has to worry about as they are already driving the country further and further into debt.

In the end it comes down to an individual persons perception of extreme.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
In or out of the Union it's only a few years before the SNP will have to raise income tax and council tax to punitive levels.

I'm gobsmacked that the electorate can't see what is just around the corner. A £15bn deficit across not many people is a £5000 a year increase for the working population of Scotland, or £4600 if pensioners are taxed.

The SNP buying popularity and votes. An incompetent party leading Scotland down a very rocky divisive road.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In or out of the Union it's only a few years before the SNP will have to raise income tax and council tax to punitive levels.

I'm gobsmacked that the electorate can't see what is just around the corner. A £15bn deficit across not many people is a £5000 a year increase for the working population of Scotland, or £4600 if pensioners are taxed.

The SNP buying popularity and votes. An incompetent party leading Scotland down a very rocky divisive road.

I agree, even with raised corporation tax and Vat; Scotland is in the proverbial mire. Add in the additional cost of being a sovereign state and the sums just don't add up.

The SNP are seemingly blind to the obvious. However it has always been a good ploy of politics that you create and 'external enemy' to keep the voters from concentrating on the problems at home. England/Westminster has been a convenient 'enemy'.