• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Shouting doesn't make it right. Facts do, publish some.

The wrong is quite simple. For many years Scotland has contributed significantly more tax revenue per head than any other country in the U.K., right up until the price of oil fell through the floor.

Since the demise of oil the shoe has been on the other foot with them getting £9bn more than they contribute yet still manage to run up a £15bn deficit on top of that.

Scots have understandably been unhappy in the past about the amount of money that headed south, and are now unhappy at the changes in funding even though they are now getting more back than they contribute.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wrong is quite simple. For many years Scotland has contributed significantly more tax revenue per head than any other country in the U.K., right up until the price of oil fell through the floor.

Since the demise of oil the shoe has been on the other foot with them getting £9bn more than they contribute yet still manage to run up a £15bn deficit on top of that.

Scots have understandably been unhappy in the past about the amount of money that headed south, and are now unhappy at the changes in funding even though they are now getting more back than they contribute.

Your not suggesting that the Doon just might be wrong.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Old Skier............How about answering that instead of the usual gum bumping when you know you are WRONG.
Answer what I thought I asked you to provide some facts and as normal when you don't like a question you throw up blue smoke.

If you read the posts you will see that I neither believed or disbelieved you but just ask for something that might give substantiated facts to your post, that doesn't include your Wings blog obviously.

Gum bumping, getting accused of that by you, the forum gum bumper, makes I laugh.

Last edited:

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from but what happens if 100% of the Scottish electorate votes for independence, approximately 2,000,000 votes, and the rest of the UK votes for the Union to continue, approximately 35,000,000?

Not exactly fair...

Sorry read this wrong, apologies and edited to delete.

Last edited:

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BTW everyone banging on about the price of oil. Are we the only country that treats having oil as a negative? It's a bonus, but not what our economy is based upon.

We have hardly made the most of it under the UK rule. We have nothing to show for it, absolutely nothing!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
BTW everyone banging on about the price of oil. Are we the only country that treats having oil as a negative? It's a bonus, but not what our economy is based upon.

We have hardly made the most of it under the UK rule. We have nothing to show for it, absolutely nothing!

Its not a negative, it just isn't that much of a positive at present.

In 2012 it generated £10,000,000,000 in tax revenue. In 2015 it generated £2,100,000,000 and last year it generated £24,000,000.

A drop from ten thousand million to twenty four million. Tax revenue has dropped £9,976,000,000.

If a country sets its budget spending based on expected taxes and those taxes don't materialise there's an awful lot of borrowing required. As it is/was already allocated for spending, its not a bonus, especially when it doesn't materialise.

BTW, the City of London financial institutions generate £65bn in taxes.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the SNP have less chance of success this time around. If they waited to see how Brexit went, giving the people an evidence based choice, they could have a shoe in but I feel the timing could seriously backfire.
The SNP's timing on this tells me they actually fear they have been wrong on Brexit all along and that it will be a great success, thereby killing off a great excuse for another referendum.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish that was the case in England and the whole UK, where the Tories currently have a monopoly and can do what they like. The EU Parliament is elected by proportional representation, just to avoid this situation. It ensures that policies have to be agreed by consensus.
Citing the Scottish and EU Parliaments as examples of the benefits of PR is not the best argument in its favour IMO

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The SNP's timing on this tells me they actually fear they have been wrong on Brexit all along and that it will be a great success, thereby killing off a great excuse for another referendum.

Timing is more to do with the Scottish Parliament dates and manifesto pledges.

The scared people are the ones trying to delay it.
2014....27% support.......go ahead by all means.
2017....46% support........oh haud on a moment that's no fair.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is she going to apply for full EU membership if she wins the referendum?????

Is there a plan if EU membership is not granted by the EU???????

Considering the call for Indy 2 is based on the Brexit vote then how could she not apply? Surely they have to.

No. Ha ha. I think you can get associate terms but I'm not sure what that entails. Probably you pay in, accept all the rules but have no say in making them or even being at EU meetings. EU lite you might say.