• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it is so important to the Union and the Brexit negotiations why are the citizens of the rest of the UK excluded from the process

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If it is so important to the Union and the Brexit negotiations why are the citizens of the rest of the UK excluded from the process

I understand where you're coming from but what happens if 100% of the Scottish electorate votes for independence, approximately 2,000,000 votes, and the rest of the UK votes for the Union to continue, approximately 35,000,000?

Not exactly fair...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Really?

The only country I've not lived in in the U.K. and Ireland is Northern Ireland. Whilst there's some very welcoming people up here, I've experienced more casual racism and downright hard racism here than anywhere else. Coming up as a tourist was fine but coming up and "taking someone's job" has brought out the worst.

And In my previous job as Service Manager I was told by my Senior Engineer what customers not to visit because I was English.

My wife has also experienced it at work, and one customer has been barred and another is on the watchlist.

Last night, after yet another uncomfortable experience for the wife at work, we've decided to see out my contract but not renew it, as my boss has asked for another 5 years.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really?

The only country I've not lived in in the U.K. and Ireland is Northern Ireland. Whilst there's some very welcoming people up here, I've experienced more casual racism and downright hard racism here than anywhere else. Coming up as a tourist was fine but coming up and "taking someone's job" has brought out the worst.

And In my previous job as Service Manager I was told by my Senior Engineer what customers not to visit because I was English.

My wife has also experienced it at work, and one customer has been barred and another is on the watchlist.

Last night, after yet another uncomfortable experience for the wife at work, we've decided to see out my contract but not renew it, as my boss has asked for another 5 years.

Disappointed to hear that.

My wee village is known as 'Little England' by some locals. roughly 20% of it's population is English. We all seem to get on really well and most of the 'incomers' are very much involved in all aspects of village/district life.

My wife and two daughters have lived and worked up here for a combined total of 45+ years and not once have they experienced any anti-English abuse. The three of them love Scotland its ways and it's people and have been made to feel very welcome.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see George Brown has re-entered the discussion.
His credibility was shot to pieces last time, does he seriously expect folk to take any notice of him and his Vow2.

The No vote seem to be in panic mode before we are even off.
The Silly Billys of extreme group Scotland in Union have decided that insulting 50% of a nation is a good way to win over support.

I wonder who will lead the No group this time......any suggestions?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doon, to be fair Brown has the same credibility with the leave campaign as Nicola does with the stay campaign. Both are enemies of the other side.

The good people of Scotland will need to decide who will lead the remain campaign but I would suggest a non politician would be best. Remain need to avoid it becoming a Labour, Conservative, SNP battle because they can't win that. I heard JK Rowling mentioned. Interesting option and may wrong foot the SNP a little.

Who would you say has respect and could do it?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doon, to be fair Brown has the same credibility with the leave campaign as Nicola does with the stay campaign. Both are enemies of the other side.

The good people of Scotland will need to decide who will lead the remain campaign but I would suggest a non politician would be best. Remain need to avoid it becoming a Labour, Conservative, SNP battle because they can't win that. I heard JK Rowling mentioned. Interesting option and may wrong foot the SNP a little.

Who would you say has respect and could do it?

Isn't Jakey a neutral now after Brexit......saw some stuff from her that said it was 'only a matter of time now'.

The lines are now Independence v Unionists. The unionist political parties are in disarray now as both leaders previously had taken a strong Remain stance. Both previously flip flopped on Independence as well. So it will not be either of them.

Looks like it has to be Wee Willie Rennie, David Cockburn or Sam Wanelse
[Before anyone jumps in my spell check has it as Cockburn.:lol:]

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Will the Unionists in disarray actually make that much difference? Same with the Nationalists? And if it is a political choice, the SNP's don't have a majority in Holyrood.

If it's a decision based on financial viability I feel the SNP's record won't do them any favours. And the oil price isn't something to hang your hat on.

It has to be about Westminster not listening to the Scottish people, even if that is twisting what was a U.K. Vote not a regional one.

I think the SNP have less chance of success this time around. If they waited to see how Brexit went, giving the people an evidence based choice, they could have a shoe in but I feel the timing could seriously backfire.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will the Unionists in disarray actually make that much difference? Same with the Nationalists? And if it is a political choice, the SNP's don't have a majority in Holyrood.

If it's a decision based on financial viability I feel the SNP's record won't do them any favours. And the oil price isn't something to hang your hat on.

It has to be about Westminster not listening to the Scottish people, even if that is twisting what was a U.K. Vote not a regional one.

I think the SNP have less chance of success this time around. If they waited to see how Brexit went, giving the people an evidence based choice, they could have a shoe in but I feel the timing could seriously backfire.

I think they will squeeze in this time which will be a poor result for Scotland. But, as you say, a shoe in after 2/3 years.
I think the SNP know that and are caught in a bit of a conundrum.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from but what happens if 100% of the Scottish electorate votes for independence, approximately 2,000,000 votes, and the rest of the UK votes for the Union to continue, approximately 35,000,000?

Not exactly fair...

Fair to who? So, because I'm English, my vote is not worth as much in this democracy called the UK where I pay proportionately more Tax and, potentially, receive less benefits.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Fair to who? So, because I'm English, my vote is not worth as much in this democracy called the UK where I pay proportionately more Tax and, potentially, receive less benefits.

And I'm English too but I feel it would be very unfair for a big majority of Scots to vote out only to be kept in because a greater number of voters in the other countries vote in.

You could even divide the number even further. 2,000,000 million Scots vote out along another 15,000,000 million from the rest of the UK. An overall vote of 17,000,000 million voting out, but overturned by 18,000,000 voting in.

As for whatever tax you pay, what has that got to do with it?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the SNP have actually lost the plot on this and the mask has slipped.

It makes no sense whatsoever to have another referendum before brexit has been negotiated and happened. But they don't care about that, they don't care about what's best for Scotland (and even less so the UK), they don't care what the scottish people think (the majority who voted against independence or the majority who don't want another referendum now), all they care about is furthering their nationalist, separatist agenda whatever the cost.

They're even already backtracking on EU membership despite using brexit as the wedge to force another vote that the majority don't want. I resent them twisting my "remain" vote into a supposed mandate for independence, it was anything but that!

A party devoid of principle and integrity, who will say or do anything to manipulate the country to their narrow-minded ends. And don't start me on their green lapdogs who have effectively sacrificed all environmental objectives on the altar of independence.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And I'm English too but I feel it would be very unfair for a big majority of Scots to vote out only to be kept in because a greater number of voters in the other countries vote in.

You could even divide the number even further. 2,000,000 million Scots vote out along another 15,000,000 million from the rest of the UK. An overall vote of 17,000,000 million voting out, but overturned by 18,000,000 voting in.

As for whatever tax you pay, what has that got to do with it?[/QUOTE]

Subsidised under the 'Barnet' formula !

Unfortunately the nature of a democracy is that everyone's vote counts the same on the basis that the majority decision is better for whole. As soon as you mess with that principle it is bound to be 'unfair' for some. Does this mean that to be 'fair' members of minority groups get to have a greater value e.g. 2 votes, 3 votes !!

The SNP claim the circumstances have changed, OK that's the case for each UK citizen governed by a Parliament from all regions.

Scotland can be independent as far as I'm concerned as long as they pay the full cost. The 'real' cost of a defence budget(NATO), consulates, etc. etc. spread across the Scottish businesses and the personal burden on 5mill. - good luck with that.