• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This week program last night, the snp member was implying that European union entry was rubber stamped and announcment on the new currency forthcoming.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
May tells Sturgeon, "no referendum vote for at least 6 years." Prove you have a mandate for independence at the 2021 Scottish elections.

Hell no. I can't take 6 more years of this. Nicola moaning constantly for 6 years :confused:. Get Brexit out of the way, new vote, goodbye, thank you.

U

User62651

Hell no. I can't take 6 more years of this. Nicola moaning constantly for 6 years :confused:. Get Brexit out of the way, new vote, goodbye, thank you.
EU extraction is going to take at least a decade after UK actually leaves, given that scenario an Indyref2 needs addressed. Time the UK as we know it was shaken up big style, it is not working. May is not handling any of this well imo, she doesn't believe in Brexit anyway, only interested in her own power trip, out of her depth.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
EU extraction is going to take at least a decade after UK actually leaves, given that scenario an Indyref2 needs addressed. Time the UK as we know it was shaken up big style, it is not working. May is not handling any of this well imo, she doesn't believe in Brexit anyway, only interested in her own power trip, out of her depth.

If you take it to the nth degree it could take 10yrs, 20yrs etc. However, everything will be decided and in place in 2yrs time. Then we have to get on with it.

If I was Scottish and not rabidly looking for independence from the UK then I think I would also want to see what the deal was for the UK leaving the EU. There must surely be lots of people in that position. See the deal and then decide. If they vote before knowing what is on offer then once again you are voting with one eye closed and holding a wet finger up in the wind.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you take it to the nth degree it could take 10yrs, 20yrs etc. However, everything will be decided and in place in 2yrs time. Then we have to get on with it.

If I was Scottish and not rabidly looking for independence from the UK then I think I would also want to see what the deal was for the UK leaving the EU. There must surely be lots of people in that position. See the deal and then decide. If they vote before knowing what is on offer then once again you are voting with one eye closed and holding a wet finger up in the wind.

Its probably all part of the SNP's plan for disinformation. Prior to the Brexit deal being finalised they can portray doom and gloom to the nth degree, and disputing it becomes a, "yes you did, no we didn't" argument.

If the UK manages to arrange a good deal it could sway some of the borderline yes/no's to vote no. But if the vote is before Brexit it will be easier to get a yes.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The UK plans should be completed in 18 months to allow 6 months for EU scrutiny.
I think that ties in with Nicola's timeline.

Re your last line....trying not to be too simplistic but is that not just what the EU Referendum voters did a few months ago ?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The UK plans should be completed in 18 months to allow 6 months for EU scrutiny.
I think that ties in with Nicola's timeline.

Re your last line....trying not to be too simplistic but is that not just what the EU Referendum voters did a few months ago ?

Doon, let me ask you this question. Do you believe it better to have a referendum within that timescale where if agreed it would exclude the Scottish governments involvement from Brexit talks therefore potentially ignoring any possibility of a better deal and in the event of a No vote to independence we are in a poorer position than we could have been?

For me the option is the Scottish government wait until the Brexit process is complete and then call a referendum if it doesn't like its bag. That way all parties have pushed for common ground in our EU split and also the Scottish people have a better version of which path to follow.

Better to learn from previous mistakes from the EU referendum where people didn't know what they were voting for

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Learn from a mistake then.

Val's point is on the same lines as mine I think and they are valid questions. Not partisan, it just makes more sense to have this information. Incidentally, I'm all for Scottish independence, different reasons than you for the same end result, but at the moment holding the ref now is against the best interests of the whole of the UK and that can't be allowed to happen.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doon, let me ask you this question. Do you believe it better to have a referendum within that timescale where if agreed it would exclude the Scottish governments involvement from Brexit talks therefore potentially ignoring any possibility of a better deal and in the event of a No vote to independence we are in a poorer position than we could have been?

For me the option is the Scottish government wait until the Brexit process is complete and then call a referendum if it doesn't like its bag. That way all parties have pushed for common ground in our EU split and also the Scottish people have a better version of which path to follow.

Better to learn from previous mistakes from the EU referendum where people didn't know what they were voting for

There is no guarantee with either choice.
The three devolved nations have been treated with utter contempt by half of the Tory party.
I know what I would choose as there would be a level of knowledge and direction,
May is making a total Horlicks of the negotiations so far. Ireland talking about reunification now

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I guess this could go on either/both political thread/s ...

I’m actually quite saddened by the conduct, posturing, accusations, intimidation and ‘threats’ from all political parties and leaders, towards each other and the general public, around Britain/EU Exit/Scotland/Independence

I find it hard to accept that the best way to govern requires conduct like this and would question if any of them are fit for purpose

They have a mandate to govern, not behave like spoilt children

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is no guarantee with either choice.
The three devolved nations have been treated with utter contempt by half of the Tory party.
I know what I would choose as there would be a level of knowledge and direction,
May is making a total Horlicks of the negotiations so far. Ireland talking about reunification now

I agree there is no guarantee with either but with the later I believe the people of Scotland will have more facts and be able to make a far more informed choice.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn't Johanna Cherry QC quite magnificent on QT last night.

Never seen such a silenced QT audience. Or panel come to that.

There was me thinking the ethos of the program was for local politicians/folk of note to address/pass comment on local concerns... So one has to ask wtf was a SNP politician doing in Bognor... About as far away as possible from her patch... Time for a letter to the Beeb methinks...

And, I bet she didn't know when to shut up...

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There was me thinking the ethos of the program was for local politicians/folk of note to address/pass comment on local concerns... So one has to ask wtf was a SNP politician doing in Bognor... About as far away as possible from her patch... Time for a letter to the Beeb methinks...

And, I bet she didn't know when to shut up...

She was ok

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess this could go on either/both political thread/s ...

I’m actually quite saddened by the conduct, posturing, accusations, intimidation and ‘threats’ from all political parties and leaders, towards each other and the general public, around Britain/EU Exit/Scotland/Independence

I find it hard to accept that the best way to govern requires conduct like this and would question if any of them are fit for purpose

They have a mandate to govern, not behave like spoilt children

Excellent post and I agree.

The problem is it has spilled over into Social Media, inevitable I guess but since the first Indy ref the spouting out on various platforms of personally held political views (at both extremes typically) has exploded.

Having seen the impact of such behaviour on friendships during the last referendum is probably why I'm so sad it's going to ramp up again now (it has never really stopped from "the 45%, "I was one of the Xm to vote yes" etc groups)

Problem with t'interweb/social media is you tend only to get the extreme views (similar to SiLH's radio show, forget it's name, you're unlikely to get more moderate people phoning up/posting to rant about "being calm, taking everything in and making my decision based on that")......

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

And, I bet she didn't know when to shut up.

No she didn't, just like the dark haired one the week before, seems to be a trait.