• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whatever way you spin it, seats lost by the SNP and gained by the greens are still seats list by the SNP.

We are at cross purposes here regarding your definition of 'Support'....you said SNP support fell but votes cast rose by 1.1%

Due to support for Greens the SNP list MSP's numbers dropped. I am not 'spinning' that.
More votes /less seats for SNP

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The system was designed so that no single party would be able to gain control.........SNP broke the system with a massive vote and was a couple of seats short of retaining it last year.
Why would you design a system that favoured against a decisive result?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The idea behind the Scottish Parliament was to have a Government that had to take into account the views of others and work with others to run the country.

I wish that was the case in England and the whole UK, where the Tories currently have a monopoly and can do what they like. The EU Parliament is elected by proportional representation, just to avoid this situation. It ensures that policies have to be agreed by consensus.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wish that was the case in England and the whole UK, where the Tories currently have a monopoly and can do what they like. The EU Parliament is elected by proportional representation, just to avoid this situation. It ensures that policies have to be agreed by consensus.

And will do for generations if Scotland vote for independence. The UK either need to reform the electoral system or pray that the opposition parties get their act together which doesn't look like happening anytime soon.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are at cross purposes here regarding your definition of 'Support'....you said SNP support fell but votes cast rose by 1.1%

Due to support for Greens the SNP list MSP's numbers dropped. I am not 'spinning' that.
More votes /less seats for SNP

The electorate rose by over 5% but only 1% in support of the SNP, surely if the SNP were that popular you would expect a higher shift? I maintain regardless of numbers that overall support is diminishing. It certainly strengthened in Lanarkshire where I live but if it had strengthened further across the country then we would have seen a second SNP majority at Holyrood last year especially just 1 year after the whitewash we seen at the GE, however that didn't happen.

I agree support has strengthened in certain areas but not all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

It was all lies - all Project Fear - all rubbish - so claimed Project Leave. And it was the complete opposite to what these same Tories said in the GE Manifesto. However in the context of the words quite probably preceding those spoken in the interviews i.e. something like 'if we stop Freedom of Movement' then they are correct.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You really have lost the plot, stand back and take the blinkers off.

Please do not pretend that the Leave campaign did not dismiss statements by Remain that said leaving the EU means leaving the SM. Yes - some Leave campaigners said that out of choicer we'd leave the SM as well as the EU - but many simply dismissed having to leave the SM as Project Fear.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Scottish Government may well not look to join the EU - they may look to have access to the Single Market - probably in return for freedom of movement.

So the SNP plan is not to join the EU, but I though they wanted another referendum because the majority in the UK wanted out of the EU and they didn't think that was in their interests (like we believed that).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So the SNP plan is not to join the EU, but I though they wanted another referendum because the majority in the UK wanted out of the EU and they didn't think that was in their interests (like we believed that).

You asked for a Plan B...

If you listen to the Scottish FM she is clear that the Scottish Government would be OK at the moment with a UK Leave deal that included tariff free access to the Single Market. She has been asked a lot of times in the last couple of days whether she'd retract her call for Indyref2 if May walked back her Lancaster House statement on the UK will be leaving the Single Market. Her reply has been that May has shown absolutely no indication whatsoever that that is a possibility.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1418

The Scottish Government may well not look to join the EU - they may look to have access to the Single Market - probably in return for freedom of movement.

Something which they would have to pay for, but actually have no say over when decisions are made? IMO that's worse than actually being a Member.