Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
What question

And the manifesto point in respect of the Single Market being broken. As if really care.

However the point is that no-one who voted to Leave the EU can claim that leaving the EU inevitably included leaving the SM - and that those who have said that they knew that a vote to Leave would also inevitably mean leaving the single market are either telling porkies or were misinformed - as it did not - and never did. The Tory Party manifesto was quite clear that the Tories did not want or expect leaving the EU to result in leaving the SM. But such is the level of misinformation and misunderstanding about immigration.

Anyway - no more from me on that on this thread.

Take a look at my original post, fairly simple concept you need to understand if you use forums...... ;)

Alternatively, throw your toys out the pram and keep prattling on in other threads :thup:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
However the point is that no-one who voted to Leave the EU can claim that leaving the EU inevitably included leaving the SM - and that those who have said that they knew that a vote to Leave would also inevitably mean leaving the single market are either telling porkies or were misinformed - as it did not - and never did. The Tory Party manifesto was quite clear that the Tories did not want or expect leaving the EU to result in leaving the SM. But such is the level of misinformation and misunderstanding about immigration.

Anyway - no more from me on that on this thread.

I think this is quite clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MaYV778kgU

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If Scotland gained independence what would the political particpants be. Perhaps the SNP are hoping they would be unchallenged.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If Scotland gained independence what would the political particpants be. Perhaps the SNP are hoping they would be unchallenged.

It would have the same parties that fight the Scottish elections but I do agree we may see the SNP split. Worth noting that the last Scottish elections saw a move away from SNP hence why they no longer enjoy a majority at Holyrood and rely on the Greens support to have the right to another independence referendum pass through Holyrood

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It would have the same parties that fight the Scottish elections but I do agree we may see the SNP split. Worth noting that the last Scottish elections saw a move away from SNP hence why they no longer enjoy a majority at Holyrood and rely on the Greens support to have the right to another independence referendum pass through Holyrood

Val.....you know that it was based on the second vote. [ie Complacent SNP voters supporting the Greens]
If not, perhaps you can tell all the uninformed on here how many directly elected Labour, Tory and others candidates were elected by public vote and not selected by list votes.

[Sod it I swore to keep off this thread due to silly posts like above.]

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The democratic views of the Scottish people was overwhelmingly in favour of remaining in the EU.
This is the SNP's big Blooper. Everyone knows that the EU referendum was a question put to the UK overall and not a regional vote but the SNP are using their weasel words again to suggest it gave them some kind of mandate to keep Scotland in. This type of talk is akin o suggesting Wales (for example) didn't return a majority of Tory MPs in the last election so have a mandate not to be ruled by the current government. I am astounded that so many are taken in by it.

U

User62651

This is the SNP's big Blooper. Everyone knows that the EU referendum was a question put to the UK overall and not a regional vote but the SNP are using their weasel words again to suggest it gave them some kind of mandate to keep Scotland in. This type of talk is akin o suggesting Wales (for example) didn't return a majority of Tory MPs in the last election so have a mandate not to be ruled by the current government. I am astounded that so many are taken in by it.

Not sure you can claim that, there hasn't been any new election since EU ref last summer to test that theory! Of course SNP will use that, they'll use whatever they can for their end goal. What isn't known is how many of the 38% who voted to leave the EU up here are also SNP voters, however this is a gamble the SNP have to take, they're never going to have a better opportunity to get what they want.
As a party they have hugely varying political views but tow the party line for the one common goal of independence, if that was achieved the party would dissolve as we know it. They are extremely well organised and pretty disciplined, also have a lot of talented people on board, whilst other political groups flounder they have gained a lot of ground and held it.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Val.....you know that it was based on the second vote. [ie Complacent SNP voters supporting the Greens]
If not, perhaps you can tell all the uninformed on here how many directly elected Labour, Tory and others candidates were elected by public vote and not selected by list votes.

[Sod it I swore to keep off this thread due to silly posts like above.]

Do you want an answer or will I do as you always do?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament#Elections

There you go.
Number of non SNP MSP's elected by public vote in last Scottish Election

3 Labour
4 LiebDems
7 Ruth Davidson No Surrender Party [called that as the words Scottish Conservatives was missing from their election leaflets]

11 out of a total of 129 MSP's

Go check your 11 from 129 again and then I'll entertain you. I'll give you a clue, there are 73 constituencies not 129.

If your numbers were correct then the SNP would have an overwhelming majority which they don't, why is that?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Go check your 11 from 129 again and then I'll entertain you. I'll give you a clue, there are 73 constituencies not 129.

If your numbers were correct then the SNP would have an overwhelming majority which they don't, why is that?

Just being economical with the truth as you were when you said support for the SNP fell when it in fact rose.

Fact ......there are 129 MSP's
Fact ......only 11 non SNP MSP's were elected by public vote

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just being economical with the truth as you were when you said support for the SNP fell when it in fact rose.

Fact ......there are 129 MSP's
Fact ......only 11 non SNP MSP's were elected by public vote

Do the 56 regional MSP's not get elected by votes?

Facts are facts, the SNP no longer have a majority, that is a fall in support regardless of how you spin it. They won more seats previously using the exact same voting system.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do the 56 regional MSP's not get elected by votes?

Facts are facts, the SNP no longer have a majority, that is a fall in support regardless of how you spin it. They won more seats previously using the exact same voting system.

As you know that support was gained by the green party.
No real change as they are strong supporters of Scottish Independence.
Votes cast for the SNP rose by 1.1%

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seemingly Doon is counting "Regional Additional Members" whatever they are.
Quite significant though as they make the Greens go from no representation to 6 which gives them the balance of power if they vote with the SNP.
Maybe it's a PR style system with the usual predictable results of the parties no-one votes for getting all the power.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As you know that support was gained by the green party.
No real change as they are strong supporters of Scottish Independence.
I wonder what Scottish independence will do for the environment? Must be something in it to get the Greens interested. Does Nicola have a bag for life?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seemingly Doon is counting "Regional Additional Members" whatever they are.
Quite significant though as they make the Greens go from no representation to 6 which gives them the balance of power if they vote with the SNP.
Maybe it's a PR style system with the usual predictable results of the parties no-one votes for getting all the power.

The system was designed so that no single party would be able to gain control.........SNP broke the system with a massive vote and was a couple of seats short of retaining it last year.