• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it would only be a £13 billion loss as if we weren't trading at all with Scotland then we wouldn't be buying any of their exports.

I suspect that the correct answer to your question is that the senior Labour politician is a total bell end and has no idea what he's talking about. Either that or in the brave new post-Brexit world we will be living in we will be trading globally to such an extent that the loss of trade with Scotland will be a drop in the ocean compared to the trillions we'll be trading with the rest of the world.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the second time of asking, why don't you simply try to answer the question.
I shall repeat it for clarity.

A senior Labour politician threatens to cease trade with an independent Scotland.
If this happens how will rUK plug the £48.5b gap in THEIR budget.
Clue.......goods outwards NOT inwards.
If you believe idiotic stories like that then you must be either hyper gullible or as I expect taking another opportunity to troll it up.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you believe idiotic stories like that then you must be either hyper gullible or as I expect taking another opportunity to troll it up.

After UKIP and Brexit I am under the impression that many UK residents are hyper gullible to unscrupulous politicians.
I am just trying to kill off this serious statement from a high ranking UK Labour politician.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I like whisky and at a recent Whisky evening we had six good ones to try without knowing which we were drinking. The top one was an Indian and the third was Japanese. Second was an 18 year Glenomorangie.

And if the lighter ones suit your palate then that's fine. My idea of the proper stuff comes off of Islay, and is full of smoke & peat. No disrespect to the Indians or the Japanese but I can't see them getting close to that, and if I never had a Glenmorangie again I wouldn't miss it; Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Caol Ila & Bowmore I would miss.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
And if the lighter ones suit your palate then that's fine. My idea of the proper stuff comes off of Islay, and is full of smoke & peat. No disrespect to the Indians or the Japanese but I can't see them getting close to that, and if I never had a Glenmorangie again I wouldn't miss it; Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Caol Ila & Bowmore I would miss.

I'd miss none of those Rich, don't like the peaty ones at all.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely it would only be a £13 billion loss as if we weren't trading at all with Scotland then we wouldn't be buying any of their exports.

I suspect that the correct answer to your question is that the senior Labour politician is a total bell end and has no idea what he's talking about. Either that or in the brave new post-Brexit world we will be living in we will be trading globally to such an extent that the loss of trade with Scotland will be a drop in the ocean compared to the trillions we'll be trading with the rest of the world.

Not quite sure what's going to happen to the UK Trade Balance when we leave the EU without a deal and have to fall back on WTO trading rules for our trade with the EU - as we will for all trade until we have negotiated individual deals with the RoW. I'm thinking that UK-RoW trade deals won't just happen overnight.

And as Scotland is in the UK the same concerns apply. But of course for the EU and all other RoW countries it will be the Westminster government that will be deciding the trade deal that is best for the UK - with the Scottish government having little influence given a Tory Majority government likely for the next 3 elections (at least).

So a fair question to be asked would be whether Scotland would be better off negotiating it's own trade deals with the EU and RoW - or just accepting whatever deals Westminster comes up with.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not quite sure what's going to happen to the UK Trade Balance when we leave the EU without a deal and have to fall back on WTO trading rules for our trade with the EU - as we will for all trade until we have negotiated individual deals with the RoW. I'm thinking that UK-RoW trade deals won't just happen overnight.

And as Scotland is in the UK the same concerns apply. But of course for the EU and all other RoW countries it will be the Westminster government that will be deciding the trade deal that is best for the UK - with the Scottish government having little influence given a Tory Majority government likely for the next 3 elections (at least).

So a fair question to be asked would be whether Scotland would be better off negotiating it's own trade deals with the EU and RoW - or just accepting whatever deals Westminster comes up with.
Scotland cannot make trade deals (as you call them) on their own while part of the UK.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scotland cannot make trade deals (as you call them) on their own while part of the UK.

This. No matter how much little Jimmy squeals Scotland is part of the UK, same as Wales, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Anglesey, N. Ireland and any other area that believes it is unique. It's quite a basic fact that some people need to get their heads around.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Surely it would be better for Scotland to wait and see what happens with Brexit and see what deals are negotiated.

And is there really any other option in any case? Assuming the despicable fish woman calls for a 2nd referendum tomorrow, it's going to take several months to get everything in place and for both sides to conduct their campaigns. By the time the vote is conducted and the result is known, even in the best case scenario, it will probably be this time next year. Assuming it's a vote for independence there would then be the negotiations on the terms of Scotland leaving the UK - how much debt they are responsible for, what assets they are entitled to etc - that by then the results of the Brexit negotiations will be known. Why not just see what happens in the next two years with the Brexit negotiations and then make a decision based on having all the information available?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This would be a far too sensible and logical position for our snp overlords to take.

I think they are quietly going to do that.
Lately they seem to be just going through the motions, point scoring and storing useful anti Scots comments eg Mandelson's recent crazy outburst.

They really need to wait about four years before they will have a defining majority.....to close at present.........IMVHO of course.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think they are quietly going to do that.
Lately they seem to be just going through the motions, point scoring and storing useful anti Scots comments eg Mandelson's recent crazy outburst.

They really need to wait about four years before they will have a defining majority.....to close at present.........IMVHO of course.

The majority of people I speak to would sooner wee nicola and her minions just got on with trying to run the country. They could maybe sort out our failing schools for starters, rather than points scoring and stropping about a uk decision that is now out of her hands.

And who gives a monkeys nut about anything Peter mandelscum has to say? The man is a repugnant piece of filth!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The majority of people I speak to would sooner wee nicola and her minions just got on with trying to run the country. They could maybe sort out our failing schools for starters, rather than points scoring and stropping about a uk decision that is now out of her hands.

And who gives a monkeys nut about anything Peter mandelscum has to say? The man is a repugnant piece of filth!

I think the SNP are doing a pretty good job of running the country. I think the Scottish public do as well as they continue to vote for them in big numbers.
The two alternative parties are so lacking in any form of intelligent life that I shudder to think what either of them would do. In the highly unlikely scenario of being elected of course.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the SNP are doing a pretty good job of running the country. I think the Scottish public do as well as they continue to vote for them in big numbers.
The two alternative parties are so lacking in any form of intelligent life that I shudder to think what either of them would do. In the highly unlikely scenario of being elected of course.

I'm calling BS on that, the SNP are doing a crap job. Their only saving grace is that Labour are no longer a viable option nationally never mind in Scotland. The only alternative to the SNP in Scotland are the Torries and I've more chance of a lottery win than they have in securing power in Scotland.

I don't recall foodbanks (or as many foodbanks) when Labour took over devolved powers in Scotland.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not buying that, they are awful. Completely failing while obsessing about constitutional issues instead of running the country. I wonder who they'll find to blame if/when they get independence?!

Only reason they keep getting elected is there's no credible opposition