In the unlikely event it was ever doubted, Bob is the man.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the unlikely event it was ever in doubt, Bob is the man.

I was on here a couple of weeks ago lamenting my poor form on the greens, to which Bob Mac replied saying he would make a video to help with my tempo that evening. True to his word the video was shot, very simple, very effective.

Back. And through. I can't do the timing ;-) but if you watch the video you'll see what I mean. Doesn't matter how far he's putting it, the tempo is the same, so simple, but then I guess the putting stroke should be!

I missed last weekend thanks to the dreaded man-flu. It was touch and go, but I pulled though. So V-easy in hand I practised this for a short time before playing Saturday with the misses. She's just learning the game so we went to a pretty ropey 9 hole course, perfect for the beginner (short, not much trouble - the course that is, she's short and no trouble at all). Poor condition of the greens aside I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, the fear of mis-hitting every bloody putt has (not so) mysteriously vanished, I even holed a couple from 8 - 10 feet which was just not happening previously. I know they're not exactly monsters, but they had become so in my mind. I also acknowledge the fact that because I was bringing HID around there was no "pressure", its not like I was playing anywhere good/18/for anything etc, so I think I was definitely more relaxed about putting, something I'll hope to take to the big boys course.

On a windy day on a course I'd never played before I parred the first 7 holes, would have been some birdies in there had I known my distances better but new course and all that, left my approaches/tee shots on par 3s too short or else I'd hit the green and not hold it, combination of wind and top-dressed/scarified greens, wasn't getting much if any spin, lipped a few good putts out from distance, didn't care as they were solid putts even over ropey ground, was getting nice over-spin and a good roll, got up and down from greenside every time, if it weren't for a tree getting in the way on the 8th I would have scored well but to be fair I don't think the tree moved, can't be sure. It was windy. ;-)

The revelation of the day was 14 putts for the 9 holes, that in contrast to 41 and 40 for my 18s a couple of weeks back, in that first round had I rattled around in 28 putts I would have shot 3 over gross. I know I know, you can't do it that way, but I'm playing darn pretty well tee to green, just hope I can put it all together next time out, and if I do it will be largely thanks to Sensai Bob, before I hit a putt now I hear him..

Back, and through.

Wax on, wax off.

I'm not sure why he's asking me to wax but I'm sure in time all will be revealed...

Thanks Bob, legend.

Last edited:

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seeing as we are having a Bob appriciation day here I would like to say I hid in the background of this lesson but listened and watched for the same thing... I have gone from 3 - 4 putting to 1 and 2 putts... My confidence on the green has trebled.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re: In the unlikely event it was ever in doubt, Bob is the man.

That little tip has been a revelation for me too. I've gone from 3 putting on average twice a round to one 3-putt in the last 3 rounds and that was because I missed a two footer.

I've started going onto the practice green before every round and rather than putting at the hole I just putt to an empty part of the green. I'll hit putts ass follows making sure I keep my tempo the same...

Ball middle of stance, backswing to inside of right foot
Ball middle of stance, backswing to outside of right foot
Ball half way between middle of stance and inside of left foot, backswing to outside of right foot
Ball inside of left foot, backswing to outside of right

I then pace out the distance the balls go for each which gives me four distances I can hit consistently. When I'm on the course I use these distances as a baseline and adjust the swing length acordingly. My lag putting has improved immensely and as a result I rarely three putt anymore

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site

And another virtual clap on the back from me as well, Bob.

Two rounds played since incorporating this tip. 26 and 29 putts respectively.

Tip of the decade Bob! :thup:

You should be a pro :D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
well since watching the video my carpet putting to a bag between chairs has also improved immeasurably :whistle:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Don't think for a moment that the golfing gods can't read forum posts! :)

Don't worry, the golfing gods have already compensated by turning me into a 28 h'capper with anything longer than a PW in my hand.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I must have missed an earlier thread on this.

Should the ball position alter. If so why?

I use a method of maintaining the same swing speed but altering the length of swing by taking the clubhead back to set positions (Inside of back foot, outside of back foot, back knee, back thigh) is this the same principal?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I must have missed an earlier thread on this.

Should the ball position alter. If so why?

I use a method of maintaining the same swing speed but altering the length of swing by taking the clubhead back to set positions (Inside of back foot, outside of back foot, back knee, back thigh) is this the same principal?

I don't think the ball position should change, I just find it easier to do it that way and keeping my backswing reference my right foot for the putts I measure on the practice green. The tempo is the key point.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another big thumbs up to Bob. Had a chipping lesson the other week and haven't been able to work on it since because of my bad back. Went out this afternoon to work on it. Got the set up ok and now in a better position over the ball to find the bottom of the swing each time. Couldn't foe th life of me put a decent stroke on it. Wristy, armsy, no follow thorugh. Anything but back and through.

LO - I've my v-easy in my locker. A joyful skip and a bound bacl to the clubhouse and back again. Tucked it under my arms, inserted my PW and first shot back and through and a firm click off the sweetspot. Happy days. Went out and played a few holes and made three up and downs, twice to save par and one from keeping an ugly 6 (par 4) off the card. My short game isn't cured but the medicine is working