I'm doomed

Hackers76

Visit site
Just go play with the same relaxed frame of mind you will likely have down the the last few rounds. Easier said then done I know but it seems you have the shots in you

Mandofred

Visit site
Sounds like you need a game plan.
Well, having a few beers in a couple of hours....not sure that is a GOOD plan though.

Also with our current rules, you can't go out on the practice ground first to warm up. They have a hitting net, but that's been blocked off as well. No real way to get the kinks out before starting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, having a few beers in a couple of hours....not sure that is a GOOD plan though.

Also with our current rules, you can't go out on the practice ground first to warm up. They have a hitting net, but that's been blocked off as well. No real way to get the kinks out before starting.
What's the first hole like?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Probably my biggest frustration at the moment too! Every time I walk up to the first tee for a midweek round at the moment, its off absolutely no warm up - double bogey central!!

Mandofred

Visit site
What's the first hole like?
If you can hit the ball straight, it's an easy hole. 363 from the white. A few big bushy trees on the right about 200 yards and a couple of ball sucking evergreen trees (whatever type that holds on to the ball) about the same distance on the left. It's one of those holes where I might just hit 5 wood (16.5 really a 4 wood) ....easily gets it down inside 150 and then it's up to the short game. It's better than starting deep in the woods.....Plenty of the young big hitters take irons off the tee.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My game plan with no practice areas is to use mid irons off the tee and lay up for at least the first 4 holes, then step up to long irons, 3 wood only comes out later in the round.

Playing decent bogey golf with this and making enough pars to cancel out doubles at least.

Mandofred

Visit site
My game plan with no practice areas is to use mid irons off the tee and lay up for at least the first 4 holes, then step up to long irons, 3 wood only comes out later in the round.

Playing decent bogey golf with this and making enough pars to cancel out doubles at least.
I don't mind the first part.....but....I shot 77 a few days ago. Regular bogey's put me in the river of doom. +10 is the worst I can shoot and keep my sanity. The way I've been hitting, anything worse than 80 is going to be disappointing...... Silly thing is, and I think they might do it on purpose.....a large amount of our sand traps have been blue staked and out of play(construction etc)....I think they may have the sand back in and bring them in just for this....just to zap us.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always a different game with a card and nowhere to hide in a medal. Sounds like the OP is already overthinking. If it were me, I'd get there early and hit some balls to make sure I am loose and before I finish hit whatever club I'd use off the first. Get it flying and walk to the first and simply picture you hitting it on the range, relax and fire

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can hit the ball straight, it's an easy hole. 363 from the white. A few big bushy trees on the right about 200 yards and a couple of ball sucking evergreen trees (whatever type that holds on to the ball) about the same distance on the left. It's one of those holes where I might just hit 5 wood (16.5 really a 4 wood) ....easily gets it down inside 150 and then it's up to the short game. It's better than starting deep in the woods.....Plenty of the young big hitters take irons off the tee.
Yeah I was going to say, that sounds ideal for a nice "go to" club which you know you'll hit well 9 times out of 10. I wish my course had that, we start with a tough par 3 surrounded by bunkers, and then the hardest par 4 on the course! Would love a nice 360 yard par 4 to start. :LOL:

Mandofred

Visit site
Always a different game with a card and nowhere to hide in a medal. Sounds like the OP is already overthinking. If it were me, I'd get there early and hit some balls to make sure I am loose and before I finish hit whatever club I'd use off the first. Get it flying and walk to the first and simply picture you hitting it on the range, relax and fire
As mentioned earlier.....you can't warm up. You are not allowed to use the practice ground and play on the same day. There is no other place to warm up. All you can do is putt and swing your clubs. If not.....I would be out hitting for 30 minutes before I played.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah I was going to say, that sounds ideal for a nice "go to" club which you know you'll hit well 9 times out of 10. I wish my course had that, we start with a tough par 3 surrounded by bunkers, and then the hardest par 4 on the course! Would love a nice 360 yard par 4 to start. :LOL:
So you don't fancy our 229 yard par 3 to open with? OOB right for the block/slice, pond short left for a hook and a line of trees jutting out 30 yards short so anything faded our pushed and short blocked out for the second if it doesn't clear the tree line

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you don't fancy our 229 yard par 3 to open with? OOB right for the block/slice, pond short left for a hook and a line of trees jutting out 30 yards short so anything faded our pushed and short blocked out for the second if it doesn't clear the tree line
Yeah forget that. There should be a law that every first hole is always a gentle par 4. :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As mentioned earlier.....you can't warm up. You are not allowed to use the practice ground and play on the same day. There is no other place to warm up. All you can do is putt and swing your clubs. If not.....I would be out hitting for 30 minutes before I played.
That's stupid. We can book a range session prior to going out (so they know how many are on the range at any one time and bring out cleaned balls). I am out at 8.36 tomorrow so booked a 7.30 slot on the range

Mandofred

Visit site
That's stupid. We can book a range session prior to going out (so they know how many are on the range at any one time and bring out cleaned balls). I am out at 8.36 tomorrow so booked a 7.30 slot on the range
We don't have a "driving range". Just a big practice field. Not allowed to go before 8am. I'm out at 9:30, thought about just stopping in to see if they will let me go out for 15 minutes.....not betting on it. I asked a few weeks ago if I could get out there at about 7am to practice since I get up early.....nope. A couple guys I play with keep playing for money....I won on Monday and one guy insisted on giving me money which I told him I didn't want......he insisted so I told him to throw it in a pocket of my golf bag. Good thing.....manager saw it and came out to bash him for not following the rules. They have been pretty strict about keeping things tight.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We don't have a "driving range". Just a big practice field. Not allowed to go before 8am. I'm out at 9:30, thought about just stopping in to see if they will let me go out for 15 minutes.....not betting on it. I asked a few weeks ago if I could get out there at about 7am to practice since I get up early.....nope. A couple guys I play with keep playing for money....I won on Monday and one guy insisted on giving me money which I told him I didn't want......he insisted so I told him to throw it in a pocket of my golf bag. Good thing.....manager saw it and came out to bash him for not following the rules. They have been pretty strict about keeping things tight.
We only have a practice field and open from when the pro arrives (so around 7.00-7.15). They bring the balls in a basket and then collect the baskets for cleaning and get the balls in once a day to clean those too. They have divided it into six bays so they can limit numbers but no real restrictions and definitely doesn't seem to be an implicit risk. If the field is open at 8.00 as long as you can get balls/basket safely what's the problem?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We only have a practice field and open from when the pro arrives (so around 7.00-7.15). They bring the balls in a basket and then collect the baskets for cleaning and get the balls in once a day to clean those too. They have divided it into six bays so they can limit numbers but no real restrictions and definitely doesn't seem to be an implicit risk. If the field is open at 8.00 as long as you can get balls/basket safely what's the problem?

Doesn't matter that much when you have your own bucket of their balls though.