If you were a free agent...

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Taking a large leap of faith that you were a (very wealthy) tour golfer what would you use/wear out on tour and why?

Driver?
Irons?
Putter?
Ball?
Shoes?
Clothing?

I’ll change my mind on this several times but for starters..

Ping
TaylorMade
Yes (are they still going? eBay if not)
ProV1
FootJoy
Lacoste

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's really difficult to answer unless you've actually tried every brand isn't it? Based on my limited experience and what I've read...

Driver - Ping because I've had a couple of Pings and they've done me well. Love my G410.
Irons - My Callaways have been good but people rave about Mizuno so maybe I'd try them? Although I've also heard from a few sources that Srixon are making the best irons at the moment. In reality my next irons are more likely to be Orka I think, whenever that is (been saying it for 18 months lol). I'd ideally want clubs that have loads of forgiveness, but don't have the silly strong lofts which I'm not a fan of, but it seems like the two come hand in hand unfortunately.
Putter - I would love to try an EvnRoll I think.
Ball - a lot of what I've read says Bridgestones are the best so I'd stick with them.
Shoes - I really don't know. Whatever will stay in one piece and waterproof for more than a year (seems to be rare these days). Maybe it's Ecco or Skechers? Not a fan of FJ.
Clothing - I'm a fan of Under Armour and I've got a few pieces of their clothing recently, so they'd be a good shout.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Driver: Titleist, as its the one I've had the best results with recently
Irons: Mizuno - Lovely forged things they are. Had a set of TP9s back in the day and the modern ones are just as nice looking
Putter: Scotty Cameron - It's what I use now and putters are very personal things.
Ball: Pro V1 - 'nuff said
Shoes: FootJoy - They fit me best and I've never had an issue with the quality or waterproofing
Clothing: Under Armour - nice styles, innovative, and fit me well.I have a lot of their kit. Although I do like some of the FootJoy stuff like the HydroKnit

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Taking a large leap of faith that you were a (very wealthy) tour golfer what would you use/wear out on tour and why?

Driver?
Irons?
Putter?
Ball?
Shoes?
Clothing?

I’ll change my mind on this several times but for starters..

Ping
TaylorMade
Yes (are they still going? eBay if not)
ProV1
FootJoy
Lacoste
Oh its not that simple Mark, you've got to try and test them all :D Thatll be one of the best months of your life...sore hands mind.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Oh its not that simple Mark, you've got to try and test them all :D Thatll be one of the best months of your life...sore hands mind.

I'd be a nightmare in and out of tour vans. Someone on the Mizuno bus told me a few years ago that one player demanded new irons every tournament!

D

Deleted member 21258

Driver? Taylormade, coz they are the bestest
Irons? PXG, coz they are sexy
Putter? Odyssey, coz they work in my hands
Ball? Callaway, just coz
Shoes? Any that were waterproof, is there any:p
Clothing? Dunlop, coz to show there is more to life than brands;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think I'd take a flight to Toronto and let Ian Fraser at TXG tell me which clubs and ball to use.
Shoes? Probably Skechers as they are very comfy.
Clothing?Not overly fussed but the colours would have to Red and Black..

D

Deleted member 15344

Driver - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno
Wedges - Titliest
Putter - TaylorMade or Scotty
Ball - Titleist
Shoes - Footjoy
Clothing - Footjoy

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Driver - i love my Epic Sub zero so might stick with that
Irons - Mizuno - i had 2 sets of blades (TP Original's and Pro Originals) and although I'm nowhere near good enough to use them they are pretty
Putter - i'd keep my scotty Del Mar
Ball - one with a tracker in it
Shoes - New Balance as hopefully they are as comfy as their trainers
Clothing - Loud Mouth or Royal & Awesome. if i am going to "golf my ball" like a knob i might as well look like one

D

Deleted member 1147

Driver - Ping
Irons - Mizuno
Wedges - vokey
Putter - TM
Ball - Titleist
Shoes - Footjoy
Clothes - Hugo Boss

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driver - Taylormade
Irons - Taylormade but I would source out an older model Like the 2008/9 Tour TPs
Putter - Never Compromise there has not been another make in my bag for about 15 years although I have changed what model (I tink thay are Cleveland Srixon now)
Ball is the one I would find the hardest as I play different ones depending conditions Probably Prov1 (until they change it again)
Shoes - I love the Crivits I have worn for about the past 6 years (new shoes as needed normally when the waterproofing starts to fail)
Clothing -
Chinos M&S
Polos any make must be 100% cotton although I will do poly cotton with a high cotton mix absolutely no experience of any of the Golfing 'names'
Jumpers must be acrylic ditto to above
Waterproofs ProQuip

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Driver - Taylormade
Irons - Taylormade but I would source out an older model Like the 2008/9 Tour TPs
Putter - Never Compromise there has not been another make in my bag for about 15 years although I have changed what model (I tink thay are Cleveland Srixon now)
Ball is the one I would find the hardest as I play different ones depending conditions Probably Prov1 (until they change it again)
Shoes - I love the Crivits I have worn for about the past 6 years (new shoes as needed normally when the waterproofing starts to fail)
Clothing -
Chinos M&S
Polos any make must be 100% cotton although I will do poly cotton with a high cotton mix absolutely no experience of any of the Golfing 'names'
Jumpers must be acrylic ditto to above
Waterproofs ProQuip

Just out of interest do you go for the £20 M&S ones or splash out on the £40ers? Used to love my Never Compromise, not sure why we ever split up

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest do you go for the £20 M&S ones or splash out on the £40ers? Used to love my Never Compromise, not sure why we ever split up

I go for the more expensive ones the cheaper ones are that.

I bought my first Never Compromise after watching the Ladies at St Mellion, seemed to a very large part of the field using them Out on to the practice green with one, 9 out of 10 putts holed straight back in to the Pro shop and bought it. Only really changed it to another model because they bought out the Exchange line on which you change the weights. I do this fairly often during the year and for different courses.