if you couldn't play for a long period of time, would your club extend your membership?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A mate had a serious operation 4 months ago. He is on the road to recovery, but hasn't been able to play - he reckons he is still a couple of months away from being able to get back out.

He's been a member of my club for about 18 months.

I suggested to him that he got in touch with the secretary and ask if they would extend his membership for the period he was unable to play. He did so, and was told they didn't normally do that. He complained, so the secretary said she would put it to the committee, but she didn't think they would approve the extension. She then got back to him after the committee meeting to say they had turned his request down.

To make matters worse, I bumped into another member yesterday who I hadn't seen in a long time. It turned out he had also been unable to play for a few months after an operation, however when he contacted the club, they agreed to extend his membership!

Putting aside the obvious inconsistency, would your club normally extend your membership in these circumstances, or is it unreasonable to expect this?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have been in this situation twice with previous clubs. The first one refused meaning I played 1 game of golf for my 1k+ annual subs. I never spent another penny there and left a bad taste. The second one allowed me a 9 month break in my membership when injured, I was then a member for another 5 years, served on the committee and spent decent money on food and drink several times a week and only left when moved out of the area

Different clubs will ultimately treat different ways, especially if they feel letting people have a subs break has been abused in the past :(

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Attitudes have changed to these issues in the 30 years I did committee. Once upon a time all it needed was for a member to write in under similar circumstances and their membership was suspended. Then the club started asking for a copy of a doctor's note to support the request. Recent times, because of tight budgets, I've seen the odd refusal.

Personally I think its shortsighted. Its usually only part of the year, sometimes just a few months. Suspending for a few months at least lets the member know the club cares, and engenders a sense of belonging and loyalty. The alternative, in these times of no joining fee, is the potential loss of a member.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Attitudes have changed to these issues in the 30 years I did committee. Once upon a time all it needed was for a member to write in under similar circumstances and their membership was suspended. Then the club started asking for a copy of a doctor's note to support the request. Recent times, because of tight budgets, I've seen the odd refusal.

Personally I think its shortsighted. Its usually only part of the year, sometimes just a few months. Suspending for a few months at least lets the member know the club cares, and engenders a sense of belonging and loyalty. The alternative, in these times of no joining fee, is the potential loss of a member.

Totally agree about it being short-sighted. My mate has told them he won't be renewing next year. The inconsistent approach has also left a sour taste with me and the lads I play with.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’d like to think clubs would do an extension for medical grounds (& for Services personal that are called away) and I’d like to think most clubs who’ve been approached probably granted it… In the beginning
But then like everything I can all too easily imagine ‘others’ start hearing about it and try to take advantage with shorter and shorter time extensions so that the club ends up having to write a whole rules process around it and then the committee tries to rule on one bad back V’s another or one condition needed 4 months but this guy wants 11 months etc to the point they just nip it and decline requests… all because they tried to do the right thing for someone & someone else tried to take advantage

But maybe I'm just too cynical :unsure:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’d like to think clubs would do an extension for medical grounds (& for Services personal that are called away) and I’d like to think most clubs who’ve been approached probably granted it… In the beginning
But then like everything I can all too easily imagine ‘others’ start hearing about it and try to take advantage with shorter and shorter time extensions so that the club ends up having to write a whole rules process around it and then the committee tries to rule on one bad back V’s another or one condition needed 4 months but this guy wants 11 months etc to the point they just nip it and decline requests… all because they tried to do the right thing for someone & someone else tried to take advantage

But maybe I'm just too cynical :unsure:

Not cynical at all. I remember a letter from a member who'd had the flu and didn't play for 3 weeks. He was asking for 3 weeks off his next year's subs. Equally, I remember a very old member who insisted on paying full subs because he wanted to remain a full member, even though he was struggling to manage more then half a doz holes - he was offered Honoury Life membership a couple of years later.

D

Deleted member 18588

All requests are considered by our Council.

Short term i.e. less than six months are viewed less sympathetically than longer.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
to put it in context, the guy who got his request refused had a brain haemorrhage, complicated by sepsis, and nearly died.

In some respects, the cause isn't the issue. Its the length of time out that should be the deciding factor, assuming the club is amenable to it. We've had 2 people recently with a brain haemorrhage. One was back playing within 3 weeks, the other chipping and putting in 2 weeks but hasn't been out on the course yet.

DCB

Visit site
I had to change from Playing membership to Non Playing after my accident a few years back. Unfortunately I'm unlikely to be able to play over my home course again, but, more than happy to keep the Non Playing membership on the go. At the time I had the accident, the Club were very helpful.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club will suspend direct debits or deduct whole months missed off next seasons bill for a serious illness/operation that prevents a member playing. At the end of the day it makes sense as the member is more than likely to renew as a result

Siolag

Visit site
Not cynical at all. I remember a letter from a member who'd had the flu and didn't play for 3 weeks. He was asking for 3 weeks off his next year's subs. Equally, I remember a very old member who insisted on paying full subs because he wanted to remain a full member, even though he was struggling to manage more then half a doz holes - he was offered Honoury Life membership a couple of years later.

First guy sounds like an absolute ticket. Ridiculous to expect that.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
On a slightly different note, my son has been a member at ours for almost 10 years, was junior captain last year, and has worked in both the pro shop and the kitchen/ restaurant for over a year. He is just about to go away to Uni for four years, doing a degree in professional golf 😲🏌️‍♂️ I wasn’t even thinking about the fact that he wasn’t going to be playing at the club for the next 4 months despite paying his membership for the year. However, I contacted the office to find out if there was some kind of holding membership that we could do,so that he can pick up when he comes back. Have been told no, the best he can do is rejoin when he finishes uni, which will include paying the joining fee. I’ve been a member for 12 years, mrs wedge has been a member for 5, as family we have supported the club very positively, quite frankly am disappointed at their response and a seriously considering a change for next season.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On a slightly different note, my son has been a member at ours for almost 10 years, was junior captain last year, and has worked in both the pro shop and the kitchen/ restaurant for over a year. He is just about to go away to Uni for four years, doing a degree in professional golf 😲🏌️‍♂️ I wasn’t even thinking about the fact that he wasn’t going to be playing at the club for the next 4 months despite paying his membership for the year. However, I contacted the office to find out if there was some kind of holding membership that we could do,so that he can pick up when he comes back. Have been told no, the best he can do is rejoin when he finishes uni, which will include paying the joining fee. I’ve been a member for 12 years, mrs wedge has been a member for 5, as family we have supported the club very positively, quite frankly am disappointed at their response and a seriously considering a change for next season.

awful not to offer a cadet/university style membership imho, keep hearing what a progressive forward thinking club its become :eek:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with a mate today who had a shoulder operation in January the club gave him 6 months grace first game today. He is very happy with that and will be renewing in April.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
A friend of mine got his extension agreed, club changed ownership and the new secretary (who btw stabbed the previous in the back) unsurprisingly refused it.

FWIW most insurance policies cover it. I get mine for that alone.