Ian Poulter - poor role model

imanhacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Watched him a lot at the Open and this weeks British Masters - I think his golf gear is great but he's a plonker on the course, always throwing tantrums - pity really.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes i aggree he's a good golfer but poor role model.
Talking of poor role models, did anyone else see Monty kicking his clubs over at the british open on friday after hitting a bad put. I think that's disgraceful especially as he was playing rather well and it wasn't that bad a put! He's supposed to be a proffesional who we can all look up to but instead he's throwing tantrums like a little girl, for no good reason. He's got millions in the bank, plays golf for a living and has the support of the nation, what more could he want?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Whilst not totally condoning their actions my oppinion is thus;

When somebody has reached the peak of their craft and become truly elite, any minor fault or error can be so bitterly frustrating and infuriating, hence such outbursts. For these men anything other than perfection will not do and sometimes the frustration will inevitable boil over.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read a nice quote from Faldo recently....
"I had to win six majors before I could bring out my own clothing range. Now, all you need are a couple of top ten finishes"
I believe it was a sly dig at Poulter and his ilk.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ian is a great player, and also a really decent bloke.
He's in the top 40 and deserves credit for almost everything he does.
However, I don't like watching him and don't admire his attitude on the course. There is pulling faces and having your moments because you are disappointed with yourself or because you are simply "showboating".

here's the definition.....
1. To have a visibly exaggerated idea of ones own skills, talents, or abilities.
2. To exhibit a... amount of undue and unfounded pride for a skill or ability which is actually mediocre.

Ian isn't mediocre, no way, but he does show off....hence the clothes. Perhaps when he plays better than Rose, Casey, Harrington and Donald, I'll accept his "style" more readily.
Dave

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Poulter makes it very hard to like him.

He will NEVER win a major because he is an average pro.

I think his head has been turned since moving to the US and is loving all the ass kissing the US television stations do to their sportsmen. Over here you EARN respect over there all you have to do is give a few $'s to 'charity' and your are the new massiah.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was at The Belfry today and followed Ian Poulter for a few holes. Whist he did throw the odd tantrum, the one thing I will say is he at least did not swear. The stream of expletives you see coming out of other sportsmen is disgraceful whilst today, even after the worst of shots, all I heard was some mild blasphemy.

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was at The Belfry today and followed Ian Poulter for a few holes. Whist he did throw the odd tantrum, the one thing I will say is he at least did not swear. The stream of expletives you see coming out of other sportsmen is disgraceful whilst today, even after the worst of shots, all I heard was some mild blasphemy.

well i take my thoughts back as i have to respect someone not swearing.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Madandra, check out this link to the website, http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/golf.cfm

The link to the pga national course has the stroke saver on it. I played it last year along with the Brabazon as part of a Sunday / Monday short break package.

From memory its a position course, especially the last 3 holes which are shortish par 4's. Club selection of the tee is crucial !!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks a bit grim t.b.h. no short par 3s (boo hoo) and way too many 400+ par 4s. Better take your best game and a G10!

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought so. One and a spare is enough for me, but with a watery grave or two around the belfry, I'd take a 15 pack!!!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Until now I've thought Poulter was a bit of a show off, but I did think he was pretty impressive today and kept the lid on despite missing loads of birdie chances on the green, so he's gone up in my estimation. Also think his dress sense has calmed down a bit, and at least he looks better than Westwood. (You can look good on the course wihtout owning the brand!) But Lee was the man, golf-wise.
AliB

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will give details of the trials and tribulations of a chopper on a REAL course on Sunday. I am off to Gleneagles the day after ......... to set up a trade show for work. If only life was that good.