I practiced today and...... (rolling thread)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I thought it might be a good idea for us to put down that we practiced and what we practiced on and what, if any, were the results...

I'll kick it off..

Went down to the club's practice ground this afternoon, the pitching area was clear so I set myself up at 115 yards to the furthest pin, the next nearest was 105 and then the shortest was 85, it's only narrow so you can switch from 1 pin to another, which I like to do rather than keep going at the same one, this way I have to change my stance and club and re-set.

It's quite undulated so you have to disregard the bounces you get, so it's all about the contact, ball flight and carry distance for me.

After a few swings I soon realised I was swaying slightly and also constantly trying to pick the ball off the grass which was costing me distance, so I changed my swing pivoting immediately by dropping the left shoulder and found my ball striking was much crisper and I was attacking the ball so much better that I was taking a small divot, something I have never really done before, purposely!

After a large bag of balls and about 90 minutes I had it down to a tee and was very comfortable using my wedge & 9 iron to those 3 flags, I also adopted some decent 3/4 shots, so, I ventured over to the main practice area to put it into practice with my other irons, the wind was very strong now into and across me, I set up at 140 yards to a flag but I wasn't quite getting into the same comfort zone and couldn't replicate the same swing technique, so I reverted back to picking at the ball to get a more consistent strike but without the obvious swaying, not sure its right to have 2 different swing thoughts but I suppose it's what works best for you that matters, but I will work on trying to replicate what I seem to be able to do comfortably with my wedges into my mid-irons.

I enjoyed the practice session because I believe I got something out of it, I constantly see the low handicappers on the pitching range working at their game, it's such an important distance I feel, you see the best golfers hit poor drives and then have to surrender a shot to get back in play but there ability to get up & down is where the game is at, I can see myself out there a lot more if it can help me not throw silly shots away and improve my ball striking.

G

guest100718

Great stories from the range. Let me pull up a chair.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I went to the range Thursday....hit 50 balls...the end.

Which is what too many do with no particular focus on anything specific, they end up seeing some bloke whacking his driver as far as he can and so they end up joining in, achieving exactly squat as they leave after hitting 50 balls (4 balls per club)!

Also, practice isn't just about "the range", we have a decent practice area so we're chipping to a specific green with 2 holes which is kept exactly like those on our course, there's a greenside bunker to the side of it also, then there's a 3 flag fairway chipping area where you can go back to around 135 yards, then there's also a longer practice area to tee up on with longer irons or the driver, so it's all on grass and you can emulate and work on everything you're going to come across whilst out on the course, so, it's an excellent practice area to spend some time on and work on specific things, but hey, you go down to the range and just whack 50 balls off the rubber tees and mats, as long as that makes you happy, fill yer boots :smirk:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not wishing to pick an argument, but I do sometimes go to the range and, not oBly get my driver out as the first club I hit but I have been known to bash loads of them.

The first reason why I take the driver out sometimes as the first club is precisely because that's what I do most games at my place and we have no range where we can warm up with a driver.

Secondly, I "lost" the driver swing recently, so I hit until I "re-find" it - it works for me

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm not wishing to pick an argument, but I do sometimes go to the range and, not oBly get my driver out as the first club I hit but I have been known to bash loads of them.

The first reason why I take the driver out sometimes as the first club is precisely because that's what I do most games at my place and we have no range where we can warm up with a driver.

Secondly, I "lost" the driver swing recently, so I hit until I "re-find" it - it works for me

Not even a net?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I took part in a group coaching session with my pro and 6 other golfers yesterday.

Purely focused on short game.

3 hours for £15

Best money I've spent in ages.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As Imurg says, it's of no practical use

I agree in part, but, if only a net is available I chalk or spray my club head to see where the ball is striking. Depends what your working on or if your just warming up.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree in part, but, if only a net is available I chalk or spray my club head to see where the ball is striking. Depends what your working on or if your just warming up.

If I'm working on something I go to the range or on a launch monitor and if I'm warming up I don't go I the net