I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just hate the fact my handicap index keeps going up too, 0.8 in two rounds!
I've kept mine ticking along by shooting the exact same score every week (threatening to do better before throwing it away) and simply replacing old scores with identical ones. Went through the going up stage earlier in the year though.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was down to play in a team of 3 open at Brookdale, East Manchester, today, the weather was not great and the course was soaking wet but the competition was still on. It was slog, very wet fairways standing water on greens, in fact on some you couldnt find a water free line to the hole, several of which were overflowing, and after a dry start we were subject to several down pours. All that said, it was an enjoyable round played over 15 holes, we managed 56 points, which amazingly meant we were 2nd, rather annoyingly two of us three putted the last green from about 12 feet, I also won nearest the pin. We also had turkey sandwiches after the round whch were very nice. So all in all despite the conditions it was a good day.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tad breezy today....hit a solid 8 iron 110 yards into it.......
The greens are recovering nicely after the maintenance of last week and have got some pace back in them
Started decently - 5 pars to start and then a double on a par 5 into the wind which seemed to pick up even more...2 pars and a birdie followed and I was 1 over at the turn.
We started on the 10th and the wind was mainly up and down so easier to combat
On our 2nd 9 the wind was across and, because we were on the other side of the hill, more forceful.
That 9 was hard work....6 bogeys and 3 pars and I had to sink some footage of putts to only be 6 over on that side..
Still..a 78 (+7), 36 points and a 0.3 cut...quite pleasing in the conditions..

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Senior Stableford, a bit blowy but I coped okay with that, just a couple of poor tee shots and the usual yippy chipping that did for me.

Still managed 37 points off 95% but I just end up replacing a 12.2 with a 12.4, unless PCC goes up.. 🤞

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Just about ready to give the game up. Shot my worst round for over a year today, just keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm playing in the Black Tee challenge next Friday at Frilford Heath, going to need to improve pretty rapidly before then or I'm getting eaten alive.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just about ready to give the game up. Shot my worst round for over a year today, just keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm playing in the Black Tee challenge next Friday at Frilford Heath, going to need to improve pretty rapidly before then or I'm getting eaten alive.

I've had a season of that mate. Weirdly don't feel worse as a golfer but just can't string a round together any more.

One of the best things I found was playing different formats - scrambles, betterball etc - it helps boost your confidence when your bad shots/holes don't have the same significance.

Ultimately, I'm assuming it's not like you're physically incapable of playing your best golf any more so you've still got it in there.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I know exactly how you feel, my playing mates have been saying that I'm hitting the ball well but not scoring. Ok I'm pushing towards 71 years old but not really losing distance but it's either a poor drive, poor iron shot, poor chip, a 3 putt on almost every hole. I rarely cock up a hole with a 10 or so, but it's just a lack of consistency. I certainly haven't practised as much this year with Mrsd being out of action with a knackered back and, as a result, having to do a lot more household duties but I do want to get my handicap back down.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I've had a season of that mate. Weirdly don't feel worse as a golfer but just can't string a round together any more.

One of the best things I found was playing different formats - scrambles, betterball etc - it helps boost your confidence when your bad shots/holes don't have the same significance.

Ultimately, I'm assuming it's not like you're physically incapable of playing your best golf any more so you've still got it in there.

Whenever I have a crap round I just blame the clubs and switch to a different set, so about once a week. :LOL:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

Thank you all. I know it's just a slump and I will come out of it, it's just very frustrating.

I actually enjoyed the golf today and hit some very good shots, it's just the bad ones are very bad.

Time to work on some stuff at the range.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So with our foursomes match postponed I challenged my partner and good buddy to a loser buys lunch match instead, him giving me two shots. As we ended up teeing off the 8th it transpires that the second of those shots was going to be on the final hole, so I had to make sure I was still in it by then!

Won the first with a par, then had a bit of a mare for three holes and found myself 2 down. Shot hole next which I won after making him putt a 2 footer that he duly missed, vidicating my decision. The 16th being halved in 7s was a low point - he missed another short putt to gift me a half (he was trying a different putter out and it certainly wasn't working for him). I won 17 and promptly lost 18, but started playing better from the 1st onwards. He lost a ball there so I won that one, and subsequently won the 3rd as well with a routine par to put me 1 up for the first time since the first hole. We halved all the remaining holes - including the final one where I used my shot making a bogey to his par - to get me the win and a nice free lunch.

I didn't play particularly well on a personal level - at least I didn't shoot 82 again, but 88 is not the direction I was hoping for. The wind was playing havoc with my drives as it kept getting up and then disappearing again, so I missed a lot of fairways left when I was expecting a gust that didn't come. I also didn't putt very well as the greens had speed up again and it took me a while to get the speeds.

Can't knock a free lunch though. Fish finger sandwich and fries. 👌🏻

Teebs

Visit site
October medal
2nd in Division 1 and lowest gross overall

Only 5 players across all divisions under net par - tough day out there!

Teebs

Visit site
October medal
2nd in Division 1 and lowest gross overall

Only 5 players across all divisions under net par - tough day out there!

PCC of 1 so a cut to 4.3 to go with lowest gross and #2 in Div 1.

Really happy with that, found some short game form, putter working well and irons are probably the best I've struck them for years.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When you play in a medal off 8 for first time in 25yrs managing to rack up four doubles is always going to be problematic. No matter. One of them were simply very bad luck and the others down to having not played for two weeks. My expectations were low to start with and so three over PH was OK.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So I've been playing absolute trash since winning the first comp of the year with over 100 entrants. My handicap index has gone to 17.2 and I've been playing off 18. Today, no competition, I've parred 9 holes, batted in a 35+ foot putt and hit the driver and irons so well I must have been close to playing single figure golf.

Don't you just love golf 😖

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with Fragger on a remarkably quiet Sunday morning.
We have to book Sunday mornings and the list is usually rammed with 4 balls.
Seems like only 2 balls went off then10th today so we easily got a slot and had a very smooth round.
Played the back 9 well, started with a 2, had another but had a double on a par 5..Still, 2 over at the turn.
Holes 1-9 are being the bane of my life for a couple of weeks..struggling to score, especially 5-9...
Well, today was no different, dropped 5 shots in the last 5 holes..again....
But a 79 (+8) with 2 doubles on the card isn't a disaster by any means...
Put Fragger in his place too.... ;)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st time out for 3 weeks after my holidays with HID. A bit rusty in places and went out in 4 over, not helped with 3 putting one of the par 3s. Came back in 1 under which included 3 birdies to finish 3 over total. Another 0.1 off the index which takes me to 1.3😳