I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We shot gross 55 recently, off 0. Didn’t win, naturally, but playing a scramble in a team of low handicaps pushing for birdie or eagle on every hole was just about the most fun I’ve had on a golf course in ages.

Agreed, we split a group of 7 up into two fairly even teams and played Silloth a couple of years back and competed off scratch as a 3ball v 4ball scramble.

The two teams shot 11 under and 9 under and played the 18th as a 7-ball. (It was early evening by this point and dead).

As you say, one of the most fun times I've had on a course chasing birdies and eagles.

Normally not a fan of the format if it's all I'll be doing at a course but this was our second round of a day rate and after being beaten up on the first 18 it was great to feel like you're tearing it up.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We shot gross 55 recently, off 0. Didn’t win, naturally, but playing a scramble in a team of low handicaps pushing for birdie or eagle on every hole was just about the most fun I’ve had on a golf course in ages.

Glad you enjoyed it👍 but I’ve played in three scrambles this season and all ended the same, when you have a team with a 4 h/c player and his team has a lower h/c than ours which I am 17h/c it’s no fun as before you start you no you have no chance of competing.

No more Scrambles for me.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in a scramble last year and the team that won were all really high handicappers. They didn’t have a single birdie and finished 1 over gross. Not sure how many shots they were getting but whatever it was it was too many. We were 15 under (10 under gross) and came absolutely nowhere. Don’t bother with them anymore.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
H4H at Hankley Common. What an amazing course. Played well again - putter was on fire, driving was mostly good again until a slightly wayward one saw me blob the last hole as I lost it in the heather - leaving me on 34 points. Happy with how I played though, and a very enjoyable group with @TopOfTheFlop @AddisonRoad and Lee - all of whom had decent rounds as well I believe with scores in the 30s. Great course, the heather was punishing but the holes were scoreable, you just had to hit the fairways!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a County knockout I had qualified for at Lancaster today, I was out early against a girl of about 20 playing off 6.5 index, she hit it a country mile, on par 5s she was hitting wedges for her 3rd shots as opposed to me hitting woods.
She parred the first 4 holes and I was 3 down although I won the next with a shot and then the next 2 with pars to bring it back to level she wasnt getting the pace of the greens at all. She went 1 up after a par on 8 but i levelled with a conceded birdie on 9.
Onto the 10th and I went one up by holing a long birdie putt and though Iwas going ot go 2 up until she holed a tricky 5 foot downhill putt on 11 then she holed a nice putt on 12 to get back to level.
We halved 13 with pars, then she went one up after I didn't play 14 well at all, I had a shot on 15 and drew level again then halved 16 and 17.
All square on the 18th tee, a par 3, I hit what looked like a lovely tee shot, but although i was worrying it might be too long hit dipped into a bunker in front of the green and I took 2 to get out, she hit the green and had 2 putts for the win which she duly made. A disappointing end to the match but I played pretty well so no complaints.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Cavendish today, I have wanted to play it for a while and had in fact entered a 4BBB a couple of months ago but had to cancelled, they moved my booking to today so off I went. I was on my own after failing to find anyone who could go.
Looking a the card it seems a short course but with a lot of raised greens, and a few holes where I needed to lay up it didn't seem it. I will be honest, I didn't play well and did struggle with the thick rough that I found more than a couple of times, the fairways were pretty lush too, but the greens were faster than I expected.
I did enjoy the course, there is quite a bit of variety, and would certainly like to play it again on a day when I am playing decently.
What I didn't enjoy was the almost 2 hour drive home the A6 was terrible.

D

Deleted member 15344

Comp today - somehow managed an eagle on the first from 165 yards away 😂 - 1 under after 9 then the tiredness hit and dropped 4 on the back 9 to finish 3 over

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Weekly weekday medal today.

My course is a par 70.
Played with a chap today who beat his age by one shot 80/81. Nothing worse than a bogey on his card and one birdie. It was marvellous witness and to be marking his card.
A cut to his HI of 14.3 is likely. (Late edit: it is now 13.4)

I really hope I will be able to do that one day - hopefully before I'm 81.

My round was a totally unremarkable one of being one shot over my 8th best. I got a 2 though.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another decent day on the chalk......even if it was a bit damp and misty to start with...
Starting on 10, as usual, a 1 over par 37 saw me turn with 21 points - nice...
A bit sloppy on our back 9 but a 4 over 17 pointer sees another cut..
Somewhere around 5.1 depending on PCC - an Pld Boys comp on today so anything could happen.
Happy days once more.. :love:

Springveldt

Visit site
First free day of my holidays so I snuck out for an early round on my own, a rare occurrence. Felt nice, course mostly empty, had a podcast on while walking and I hit the ball well. Shot 75 (+5) off the yellows and was back home by 10:30 so no complaints from the wife.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Practice round for the David Marsh at Southport and Ainsdale. Tipped a wink to Hillside where I played my best ever round for company with RickG,Pokerjoke and Hobbit.
Tomorrow I believe I'll be paired with a Forum legend who alas no longer posts
And what a true gentleman he was , an absolute delight to play with for 2 days and hope we catch up again soon on our travels .
Ended up 28th out of 122 so pretty happy with that for my first visit. Some very pure greens ,so pure I putted off 2.of them today 🤣

Jason.H

Visit site
I played Cavendish today, I have wanted to play it for a while and had in fact entered a 4BBB a couple of months ago but had to cancelled, they moved my booking to today so off I went. I was on my own after failing to find anyone who could go.
Looking a the card it seems a short course but with a lot of raised greens, and a few holes where I needed to lay up it didn't seem it. I will be honest, I didn't play well and did struggle with the thick rough that I found more than a couple of times, the fairways were pretty lush too, but the greens were faster than I expected.
I did enjoy the course, there is quite a bit of variety, and would certainly like to play it again on a day when I am playing decently.
What I didn't enjoy was the almost 2 hour drive home the A6 was terrible.
I’m playing a 36 hole comp there soon. I keep telling myself i will have a good day in one of these away comps. 😂
A scenic drive across the Peak District for me.