I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played Minehead and West Somerset this afternoon, course is right up my street.
Only 5,948 yards from the yellow tees so ideal for vintage clubs.

I had an amazing day on the greens taking just 25 putts, admittedly I missed quite a lot of greens and some only just and I only counted putts taken on the green but even so, 11 one putt greens and no three putts. :)

44 out 38 back for 82, 10 over par (and I had two OBs), course rating 68.6

I had a short set of 8 clubs;
Slazenger Bobby Locke laminated 2 and 5 woods
Craigton Royal Gold 4, 6, 8, 10 & SW
John Letters Golden Goose putter

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just read out the above to Mrs V and made a suggestion that I take some clubs down to South Devon next month and get a game in somewhere.
The non-verbal response informs me that this idea is a not a good one.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just read out the above to Mrs V and made a suggestion that I take some clubs down to South Devon next month and get a game in somewhere.
The non-verbal response informs me that this idea is a not a good one.

You need to negotiate, a whole day doing Mrs V's favourite things in return for half a day's golf....

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just back from a 2 day trip down the Midlands. Played The Astbury yesterday and Beau Desert today.

The Astbury was pleasant enough and will be a decent course when it matures but hell the rough was savage, particularly if you missed the greens - felt like I was playing the US Open.

Beau Desert today was just incredible - what a course that is. The front 9 was just spectacular. One of those courses where you walk off the 18th green and just want to go straight back to the 1st tee. Loved it, and everyone we met was so welcoming and friendly. We were talking to some members before and after the round and they ended up giving us their number to sign us on as guests when we next visit. Top club.

Playing wise I was alright for the first 12 holes or so both days until the heat just got the better of me and I dropped off a cliff. Finished on 35 points at the Astbury and 30 at Beau Desert which I was pretty happy with and enough to take the win over the two days.

Class two days away and the princely sum of £110 quid for both rounds and accommodation. Fantastic way to spend a birthday.

Anyway here's some pics.

1000087395.jpg1000087396.jpg1000087399.jpg1000087398.jpg1000087397.jpg

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
St George's Hill for 18 at 1.40 in peak 30 degree heat. The course looked a picture but it was a tiring walk in super hot conditions. Better ball and we lost 2 and 1 despite a very solid 7 pars and 2 birdies

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First round at my home course last night since Farnham and Hankley...

I play at a goat track..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We had greens maintenance last week, so imagine me coming back to putt on those 4 days after Hankley. Left everything 6 foot short for the first five holes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We had greens maintenance last week, so imagine me coming back to putt on those 4 days after Hankley. Left everything 6 foot short for the first five holes.

Oh you best believe I was doing the same thing! Our greens aren't in a good place.

I feel the same about my house when I go to places on holiday. I don't know whether to be happy about staying in nice places or depressed about my house not being as good :LOL:

At least you can improve your home :ROFLMAO: Our course is an absolute mess at the moment.

New head greenkeeper is due to start on 1st October and in the meantime the staff just don't seem to have a clue. I'm not a moany member but our fairways look like the rough at some courses :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Seniors Open pairs betterball with @GG26 at the course where @Crow is a member. Yer man is on holiday.

To say that I played a supporting role would be very generous towards me.

Thanks to GG26's closing 4 holes going 4pts, 3pts, 3pts, 3pts, we (using that "we" very loosely) scored a respectable 41.

The only highlights for me was hitting the longest drive of my life downhill downwind on the 9th. A touch over 350 yards.
As we left, I was nearest the pin on the par-3 18th. (Many more fourballs to come in)
On both those holes my pars scored no more points than GG26's nett par on 9th and nett birdie on the last.
Some fine putting by GG26 - his HI has come down some chunks recently - his game overall was very good.

Very enjoyable despite the 5 hours to get round in the heat.

Last edited:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seniors Open pairs betterball with @GG26 at the course where @Crow is a member. Yer man is on holiday.

To say that I played a supporting role would be very generous towards me.

Thanks to GG26's closing 4 holes going 4pts, 3pts, 3pts, 3pts, we (using that "we" very loosely) scored a respectable 41.

The only highlights for me was hitting the longest drive of my life downhill downwind on the 9th. A touch over 350 yards.
As we left, I was nearest the pin on the par-3 18th. (Many more fourballs to come in)
On both those holes my pars scored no more points than GG26's nett pars.
Some fine putting by GG26 - his HI has come down some chunks recently - his game overall was very good.

Very enjoyable despite the 5 hours to get round in the heat.
Enjoyed the day @Voyager EMH and some notable landmarks for both of us.

Your 350 yard drive being your longest in over 50 years of playing golf (using a nearly 20 year old driver). For me, I played the back nine in just two over gross for a 38, which is my lowest score for nine holes and only the secod time I have broken 40.

Fortunately there was a decent breeze which took the edge off of the heat and its a pity that we didn't dovetail well on the front nine or we may have been challenging for the prizes (17 out, 24 back).

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Enjoyed the day @Voyager EMH and some notable landmarks for both of us.

Your 350 yard drive being your longest in over 50 years of playing golf (using a nearly 20 year old driver). For me, I played the back nine in just two over gross for a 38, which is my lowest score for nine holes and only the secod time I have broken 40.

Fortunately there was a decent breeze which took the edge off of the heat and its a pity that we didn't dovetail well on the front nine or we may have been challenging for the prizes (17 out, 24 back).
Yep. The 2004 Cobra F-Speed driver is still going well.

And the shot on 18th was a 1990s 2-iron Powerbilt Oversize.

pwrblt ovs.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
You need to negotiate, a whole day doing Mrs V's favourite things in return for half a day's golf....
Just read that one out to her.

Polite verbal response this time.

"Change 'a whole day' to 364 days and I'll think about it!"

:rolleyes: (I can manage one week without golf)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today and apart from the two blobs a nice 37 points. With a nearest the pin on a par 3. Missed the four foot putt for a two 😖
So at the end I finished joint winner with 37, however I noticed a discrepancy re my score. I had a discussion before we went out as I was told I was off 18, I was adamant it was 17. Having been shown a table of handicaps I went along with the 18. When the brass had been given out and revised handicaps written down I was dropped to 16. Bottom line, I should have had 36 points not 37. I told the guys and handed back me £9. That aside I played well. Twas one of those days when it was so so close to a good round.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Weekly weekday medal today.

My course is a par 70.
Played with a chap today who beat his age by one shot 80/81. Nothing worse than a bogey on his card and one birdie. It was marvellous witness and to be marking his card.
A cut to his HI of 14.3 is likely. (Late edit: it is now 13.4)

I really hope I will be able to do that one day - hopefully before I'm 81.

My round was a totally unremarkable one of being one shot over my 8th best. I got a 2 though.
His daughter won the 36-hole ladies club championship yesterday for the umpteenth time. (She has played for England Seniors team several times)
Second place was 26 shots behind.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just had a couple of days down south following an invite from a friend to come and stay with her for a couple of days.

Yesterday we played in a 4BBB event at Burnham Beeches, a very nice course which I really enjoyed, my golf was mixed but I finished wit ha nice birdie on the last, it was a lovely course in a great setting, there were 56 pairs playing and the winning score was just 42 which showed the difficulty of the course and I am sure the heat added to the difficulty, the pair we played with came 2nd one of 6 teams that had 42.
Today it was a trip to Essex and Gosfield Lake. An interesting course although I found the fairway a bit bare in places and the greens were quite slow, I played decent and finished by parring the last 5 holes it was actually holes 5-9 as we started on the 10th. it was a team of 3 with 2 to score, except on two holes when it was all 3, The winning score here was 100, although it was off full handicap which would have added a few on.
Bith opens provided food on arrival, a halfway house and a meal after, which is something we don't find in the north, obviously the cost reflects this but it does seem pretty good value.
Away from the golf I went and saw two amazing musicals one in Regents Park and the other at a theatre, it was a really good trip

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I booked the last tee time last night as I wasn’t bothered if I got round as I was happy to do a bit of chipping and putting practice.

Ended up playing 9 holes with another member and managed a +1 round.

Off to the seaside on Saturday to meet up with @anotherdouble for a game

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I booked the last tee time last night as I wasn’t bothered if I got round as I was happy to do a bit of chipping and putting practice.

Ended up playing 9 holes with another member and managed a +1 round.

Off to the seaside on Saturday to meet up with @anotherdouble for a game
Off to the club in a couple of hours to meet @anotherdouble for a game..:LOL:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played Saunton East today, 4bbb from the whites, my game wasn't as good as it was on Monday at Minehead, probably because the course is over 1,400 yards longer and I only had a 2 wood for tee shots (some of those were dire as I tried to hit it too hard).

Luckily being 4bbb I didn't keep score but our oppos played as well as we did badly and we were beaten 6 and 5!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played last night in the final for my work society Matchplay Trophy.

Going up against a 25 hcp, meaning I was giving 11 shots - we played in the semi last year and I was 1 down after 16 and managed to just turn it around then. He's a solid golfer, definitely better than 25.

We played at Three Locks GC, which was in okay condition - the greens were unbelievably soft and wet and really slow which was very surprising and annoying.

I was 1 down after the first, 1 up after the 3rd and that was the last time I was up in the match. Wasn't striking the ball well at all, hitting a lot of pulls/pull hooks and even hit a few shanks.

4 down at the turn, I managed to get my game back a little and played much better on the back 9, I was having to make pars just to stay in the match though and fought back so I was 2 down with 3 to play but unfortunately lost it there on the 16th.

Last edited: